458 - Gated Manual Ferrari 458, looks like EAG are really doing it! | Page 2 | FerrariChat

458 Gated Manual Ferrari 458, looks like EAG are really doing it!

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Tarek307, Jun 1, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    LOL. Expensive, can't be done.. blah blah blah. For as much as you *think* you know. Shows how you don't know **** about the topic.

Correct what you want, say what you want.. I don't care personally.

2. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Again, I said it was a massive undertaking to complete this with oem functionality and outlined the difficulties in your proposed solution. That means I know nothing of the topic?

You continue to insist on putting "can't be done" in quotes as if actually said by anyone here.

"Can't be done" is a phrase you made up in regards to this conversion which for some reason continually needs to be explained to you.

So once again, difficult and expensive is not synonymous with "can't be done", it's simply difficult and expensive.

Congrats on patting yourself on the back for proving your own delusion untrue.

3. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Not so sure why so many threads tend to end up being peacocks fights and derailed from their original topic...

Does anyone have a guess or know what type of gearbox/tranny they would use? Gear ratio? Clearly those guys seem to know their stuff but I’m wondering how they will set up a car in such a way that the car retains its original spirit and character, if that is in fact possible?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Caeruleus11 and Shamile like this.
  4. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    ^ Apologies sir, I dislike being repeatedly misquoted.

The shifter and gate appear to be 430 so my first guess would be 430 trans.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  5. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

No need to apologize to me; sometimes I get ticked off ;) Jusr ask Shamile but in the end I know and realize he and many others know
    More than me AND Shamile is a fun guy too ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shamile likes this.
  6. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo
    I’m not hating. I do hope this actually comes to fruition. I have to say those scud conversion videos did not instill confidence in the shop. this particular video is very premature, and a bit bogus.

I understand they are just digging up publicity but...

Brake pedal is interesting point. If this was really currently going through a conversion why keep the stock brake pedal?

Notice it also still has paddles. Maybe a Hermaphrodite? “Tranny” ? (not transmission the other type)

Perhaps current car is nothing more than publicity stunt to gain interest and views.

My bet they stuck a third pedal on, placed a console on the floor and shot a sexy video. I bet its still is a functioning DCT 458.

I think for the video this was nothing more than a stock 458 with smoke and mirrors.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Shamile and Viperjoe like this.
  7. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Hey now! lol....we get along just fine. You keep supplying valuation data and I'll supplying Testarossa technical threads...win! win!

Shamile

Freeze....Miami Vice!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  8. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    Just for reference, this is the 430 Scud EAG converted first. (430 coupes were available with manuals but never Scuds)
    https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/classic-cars/a27205643/ferrari-430-scuderia-manual-transmission-swap-drive/

CARBUZZ article on EAG's 458 manual. As 458's never came with a manual, it's a more difficult $$ conversion.
    Of course it will be way more fun to drive. Anyone saying otherwise has probably never rowed their own gears. Question is, will anyone convert a Speciale. F depreciation, it's just a toy. Why not?
    https://carbuzz.com/news/open-your-checkbooks-because-a-manual-ferrari-458-is-coming

9. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Oh that sounds so funny to anyone who is not from North America... :rolleyes:

Boomhauer and AlfistaPortoghese like this.
  10. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    love it, nothing to dislike!

11. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I like the idea. I'll be very impressed if they can reprogram the engine management to make it work right, would seem that there have to be a lot of overrides, if not a whole new ECU(s).

12. HH11

HH11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 4, 2010
    Early in the build, like you said they are trying to get views and attention from the car crowd.

Highly doubt they will leave the brake pedal like that. If I'm wrong I'll buy you a six pack.

13. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo
    I agree I don’t think they would either. Point was I don’t think the “build” at the time of the video was anything more than a false pedal and a hollow shifter.

Just seems early to be going public even with a teaser video.

Like I said, I would love to see this one completed. -ray

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

HH11 likes this.
  14. FerrariF50lover

FerrariF50lover Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Nate
    If there wasn't a desire for owners to have one they wouldn't of built it. They have swapped multiple 430's now I'm sure they will swap 458's.

15. fchatmoonkee

fchatmoonkee Rookie

Jun 5, 2019
    I wish they could put on leather reigns on the steering column instead of the wheel for those of us who are really old school and want to feel closer to nature

KC360 FL likes this.
  16. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Of course with a manual shifter, it would be possible to over rev the engine. Even if they retained the safety feature of the ECU cutting tfuel to the direct injectors under acceleration. Downshifting into the wrong gear could over rev the engine.

The DCT doesn’t allow mis shifts.

The engine of the 458 is simply a marvelous box. The product of 40 years of progressive development dating back to the 308!

KC360 FL likes this.
  17. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Done yet?

18. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    The first 50 seconds of that video are absolutely useless.

19. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    Big difference is the 430 came with manual option from the factory. Concerning the 458; this is uncharted territory. And it's going to take a lot of charts and wrong turns-- that may lead to nowhere. ;)

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  20. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    After owning the 355 and the 360, both with gated 6-speed manual gearboxes, I commented more than once here on Ferrarichat that I would never buy any Ferrari with an F1 transmission. However, after realizing that the F1 is really just a manual gearbox with hydraulic actuation, I ate my words and took the leap into a 458 Italia. After owning and driving that car for approximately 3 years, I really fell in love with the DCT and paddle shifting setup.

I think the more basic / analog nature of something like an F40 or a 360 works well with a manual gearbox. But installing a manual stick shift into a 458 just sort of feels like buying a brand new iMac and then going to great lengths to get MS-DOS or CP/M to run on it. It's quaint, but I'm not sure it's going to yield a car that is more enjoyable or better to own or drive.

Just my 2 cents.

Either way, it's a cool project (and hats off to the people attempting it), but probably not anything I would actually want to own myself.

Ray

21. Tom(Atl)

Tom(Atl) Formula Junior

Oct 29, 2006
    USA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Any progress on this project? Is it dead in the water?

22. 458cc

458cc Rookie

Jan 26, 2021
    Full Name:
    Charlie
    I wonder what transmission they would put in place of the DCT...

23. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    It's been a couple of years. Very simple to do, so I'm told. Done yet?

Boomhauer likes this.
  24. rumen1

rumen1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2012
    Bulgaria
    Probably they (as everybody else) finally saw, that there really isn't any point of doing such thing :)

25. fchatmoonkee

fchatmoonkee Rookie

Jun 5, 2019
    This is as good of an idea as trying to attach a carriage to it. I'm sure you could and it could even be fun/funny for 5 minutes, but realistically it makes as much sense as bringing sand to the beach.

NMNMNMN likes this.