Perspex headlight covers 365GT 2+2 | FerrariChat

Perspex headlight covers 365GT 2+2

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Bowzer, Mar 30, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bowzer

Bowzer Formula Junior

Aug 3, 2016
    MALTA
    Full Name:
    Marcus
    European first batch 365 GT 2+2 had the perspex headlight covers fitted from the factory. When these were proposed for the US market , they were not accepted. Following this the factory stopped fitting them even on the next in line Euro models. Does anyone know which euro car chassis # was fitted with these perspex headlight covers ? Thank you Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    Where are you getting this information? I do not think that your first or third sentences are correct. As I replied to one of your threads last month:

" I do not believe these cars ever had the covers installed at the Factory. It is understandable why someone would think the covers could have been standard because the Pininfarina promo shot from '67 included the covers. My old car, 11199, was the 26th car made and did not come w/ the covers. My impression from looking at hundreds of Queen Mother pictures over the years is that certain Euro dealers offered them - like Maranello Concessionaires. I believe the dealer would have installed the covers along with the market-appropriate radio and exterior mirrors. I have seen about a dozen QMs with the covers, and none of the attachment methods were the same - some very neatly done, and others not so much . . . . You can buy covers online - they are intentionally cut a little big and need to be trimmed down.

The 365 Californias DID have covers installed from the Factory/Pininfarina. If I were to install covers on a QM, I would mimic the California covers and attachment method."

I can also add that one of the prototypes was extensively covered in Tom Yang's forum many years ago. As either the second or third car built, it did not have the covers, nor any evidence that it ever had them.

3. Bowzer

Bowzer Formula Junior

Aug 3, 2016
    MALTA
    Full Name:
    Marcus
    Thank you Bryanp, mine is 11603 and , 132'nd made. It is without these perspex headlight covers. As you say Pininfarina promo shoot from '67 does show them whilst official Ferrari website does not have them on their picture of the model. Hence my confusion, also many today sport them and many don't. I tend to want my car to be as per original as possible and wished to make sure about this dilemma. Also the fact that they are on the market made my doubts more profound. Therefore, I shall take heed once and for all to your information about this, and leave her without :)

4. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    Understood - I think you would be very safe in not installing them. Next time you are under the car, you could remove the shroud at the front of one of the front wheel wells, shine a light at the back of the headlight bucket and see if there are any attachment points visible that might have been covered over if it had actually started life w/ the perspex covers. I'll be very surprised if you find any evidence.

5. Bowzer

Bowzer Formula Junior

Aug 3, 2016
    MALTA
    Full Name:
    Marcus
    I will ;-) Thanks

6. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    wow, truly gorgeous. Blu Sera?

7. Bowzer

Bowzer Formula Junior

Aug 3, 2016
    MALTA
    Full Name:
    Marcus
    Thank you, Blu Tourbillon

8. Bowzer

Bowzer Formula Junior

Aug 3, 2016
    MALTA
    Full Name:
    Marcus
    Hi Bryanp,
    Following please find a pasted copy from official Ferrari website , on 365 gt 2+2 page

Although the 365 GT 2+2 shared the same wheel base as the 330 GT 2+2, it was wider, and whilst low and elegant looked big, due to increased front and rear overhangs, which extended the overall length by more than 130 mm. Initially it was fitted with similar design 10-hole alloy wheels as had been used on the Series II 330 GT 2+2, and then later with five-spoke ‘star’ patterns.

Borrani wire wheels remained available as an option throughout production. At about the same time as the change of wheel design, the plexiglass covers over the headlights were deleted, although the light position in deep wing recesses remained.

9. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Don't be naive and believe what a marketing dept states.

Of all the 801 units of the 365 GT 2+2 built the ONLY one mentioned in the factory files WITH "fari carenati" (headlight covers) is #11437.
    It was usually the dealer who added plexi covers upon request.

Marcel Massini

readplays and -CD- like this.
  10. Bowzer

Bowzer Formula Junior

Aug 3, 2016
    MALTA
    Full Name:
    Marcus
    Thank you for the info , didn't know that the official Ferrari website in the Classic part was a marketing department , rather than an information source.

11. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    I did not say it is or was a marketing dept. I tried to say it (the site) is steered or done BY the marketing dept. I said "stated".

Marcel Massini

12. henk3

henk3 Karting

Feb 14, 2011
    Amsterdam
    Full Name:
    Henk de Vries
    I own 11101, the tenth car built, and was led to believe it did come with the headlight covers initially, and I was told that the b+w picture is actually my car.. The ones that came with the car are obviously aftermarket, and during the restoration that was partly completed the front was partly rebuilt, so there are no holes.. I took over in december 2013
    After six years my restoration is coming to an end, I have not installed the covers yet.. with mr massini on this forum, I look forward to any advice!
    Henk de Vries, Amsterdam
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    11101 is not the car in the first black white photo in post #13.
    11101 is the 16th Queen Mary built.
    11101 was originally painted Argento Metallizzato 25090 A (silvergrey metallic) with a Blu VM 3015 Connolly interior.
    11101 had the optional Borrani wire wheels.
    11101 was delivered new to official dealer M. Gastone Crepaldi S.a.s., domiciled at Via San Marco 26 in Milan.
    11101 was sold by Crepaldi to the first owner Mr. Branca, also from Milan.

Marcel Massini

Natan Tazelaar, henk3 and 375+ like this.
  14. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    375+, Bryanp and Bowzer like this.
  15. henk3

henk3 Karting

Feb 14, 2011
    Amsterdam
    Full Name:
    Henk de Vries
    Wow. Thank you for this! Hope to meet you some day. With respectful regards from Amsterdam,
    Henk de Vries. 250GTE #3227, 330GT #6633, 365GT #11101, 365 GTC/4 #16287, Dino 308GT4 #08206

davemqv and Natan Tazelaar like this.
  16. Paulr

Paulr Rookie

Oct 22, 2016
    Hey Guys
    My own car 13659 the refurbishment is now nearly completed, done by Iain Tyrrell Consulting, the gearbox and engine completely rebuilt with Carrillo pistons etc, we have also completely retrimmed the interior due to the re-trim done in America used very poor leather..! We have completely refurbished using the finest Connolly leather, however only last Friday, we were discussing whether my car should have the headlamp covers, so i have read all the comments, however my car does not have the covers, it does however have the poorly repaired marks of where they once were..! Are the covers still available..?
    Regards Paul
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    finest? as I remember the conolly leather is only dyed on the surface and not completely dyed through. often have seen conolly leather after some years and the color was going away

18. 12659

12659 Formula Junior

Oct 6, 2005
    Seattle WA. USA
    Full Name:
    mark
    Lovely work and Tyrrel seems to know the biz. Connelly was OEM in those days, and up through the early 90's. My 365 GT 2+2 and my 550 Maranello are both trimmed with Connelly hides. Image Unavailable, Please Login

It's a mystery with the perspex headlight covers. My car was delivered new in New Orleans, and it came to me with the covers, many years later. 12659

Cheers

Mark

19. Bowzer

Bowzer Formula Junior

Aug 3, 2016
    MALTA
    Full Name:
    Marcus
    Perspex covers where not standard issue. If I were you I would refinish the light surround with no holes for the Perspex covers and leave as is. I am posting a Maranello Picture from the press of one of the first cars.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

readplays likes this.
  20. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    We had the same discussions in the Dino 246 community about cars been delivered from the factory with Perspex headlight covers or not. They were not. Many people believe it looks cool with the covers installed and starts to dream up this idea with Perspex being an factory option etc. The fact has already been indicated; Only one 365 gt 2+2 has ever been recorded as delivered with headlight covers. And it makes sense....The covers are not very practical if the car is being driven and washed regularly.

Best, Peter

Bryanp and readplays like this.
  21. srslusso

srslusso Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2005
    Encino,Ca.
    Full Name:
    Steve S.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Re: the headlight covers Image Unavailable, Please Login
    You really don’t want them ! In a comparison years ago when I owned 11727, they cut down a lot of the light output particularly when they fog up from humidity getting trapped inside the covers.
    Also they contribute to rust problems inside the area.

abilliet and turbo-joe like this.
  22. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    but it looks good :)

miurasv likes this.
  23. srslusso

srslusso Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2005
    Encino,Ca.
    Full Name:
    Steve S.
    How often do you drive your car at night or in the rain?

turbo-joe likes this.
  24. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    good question ! ! ! :)