355 - Share a photo of a snap/broken timing belt | FerrariChat

355 Share a photo of a snap/broken timing belt

Discussion in '348/355' started by fiorano10, Dec 22, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fiorano10

fiorano10 Karting

Sep 29, 2004
    los angeles
    I can not find a single photo documented of a snap/broken timing belt or sized tensioner bearing on line
    why?

2. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    It doesn't happen nearly as often or as dramatically as the fear-mongers would have you believe?

There's a couple, but in comparison to the number of cars out there...it's probably a fraction of a percent? I'll let the more expert minds chime in, but in years of reading and searching...there's not many. There's reports of a terrible noise coming first (the tensioner bearing failing), and that being enough to warrant the service.

sjd

Beetle, Pangea and carnutdallas like this.
  3. fiorano10

fiorano10 Karting

Sep 29, 2004
    los angeles
    You brought up a great point of the terrible noise before failure, and that because of the tensioner failure.
    Here my situation:
    Belts/ tensioner replaced in 2009, drove 5000 miles of moderate driving and not in traffic.
    No leaks from the cam seal or gasket.
    I think I can wait a little longer for the service.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. V4NG0

V4NG0 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    Charles Edward Cheese
    Would you mind elaborating on this comment please? I’ve seen it mentioned before but am not sure how it affects the belt’s durability.

5. fiorano10

fiorano10 Karting

Sep 29, 2004
    los angeles
    In my opinion if you dont red line the car constantly, or driving at rush hours, and use the free flow cat, all this will help reduce engine heat and less stress on the belts and tensioners.
    The most that I push the rpm was at 6500 on 3rd gear only.
    I think when Ferrari recomand of the belt replacement every 3/5 years they take to consideration that you drive the car like you are on a race track.
    But again, this is my opinion.

JasonS and V4NG0 like this.
  6. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    If the belt get contaminated with oil it can start to deteriorate and weaken. Then on starting teeth can get sheared around the drive pulley. I've seen it happen, but not on a Ferrari. It was on a Honda and aside from being oil soaked the belt had over 100k miles on it.

V4NG0 likes this.
  7. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    My Fiesta ST has a timing belt interval of 10 years or 150k miles.

sjd

8. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I have heard of belt failures, I have heard of mechanics talk about it, but never seen a picture and out here there are pictured of everything, its odd now that you mention it. I am sure it happens somewhere but I suspect is is a more uncommon item and probably has mitigating factors like something rubbing on the belt or what not. Other issues like tensioner failure or pulley skirts thrown off or idle pulley arm cracking etc I think is more prevalent in any event. I have heard of people out here going 10 years on single belt.

9. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    This picture was from this forum a few years back, I searched but couldn't find the thread. The guy did have a bunch of cars including a diablo in his barn/shop as well. Anyway, I remember him saying the miles were less than 20k, but considering mine motor looks brand new with double the miles, there was something else going on.
    Maybe it was a NE salt roads car or flood car and the tensioner bearings froze up? either way, it looks totally trashed even if the belt was intact.

The date tag of when i downloaded this picture from ferrarichat was nov 2017, maybe someone else can find the thread

Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. boxcarracer

boxcarracer Formula Junior

Jul 29, 2005
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Luigi
  11. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    certainly something else going on there. Other than the corrosion, I’d guess the car has been sat for a looong period of time and the belts have in effect “set” in their shape.

(not sure about belts but early Kevlar lines on yachts had to be eased continually so as not to set on winches and bocks else left for time under load and then eased off they would explode/fail when released.)

12. fiorano10

fiorano10 Karting

Sep 29, 2004
    los angeles
    The last photo posted, if the belt does belong to the car how could it split in half lenght wise?

Sent from my SM-G955W using FerrariChat.com mobile app

13. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    I

:eek:Looks more like belt rot than belt break. Mouse dung in the driver pulley?

14. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Timing belts are the least of that engine's troubles IMO

Jedi

Pangea likes this.
  15. radlu

radlu Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2005
  16. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Belts break but usually for a mitigating circumstance. The post did not mention many things like miles, how long the belt was in, did the belt fail due to other failure etc. At least not that I saw browsing the pages.

17. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    #17 kenneyd, Dec 23, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2019
    That is definitely not the post I got the picture from. I went back to my history and try to find it. I've been unable so far. I believe it was a silver, picture of it on a lift. The guy had a bunch of old cars in a barn including a Diablo

I did however, find two other posts with belt snapped on a 355

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/the-unthinkable-just-happend.527946/

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/1995-355-timing-belt-snapped.564863/

18. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
  19. fiorano10

fiorano10 Karting

Sep 29, 2004
    los angeles
    Hi again everyone.
    I am still waiting to see if anyone has a photo of 355 in the shop shows snap timing belt.
    Again 355!!!
    When I did my service in 08 , I have taken many photos of the major service, (belts were not snapped, tensioner rotate perfectly and no grease out of them)
    I cant imagine why there is no single photo out there of what I am asking Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my SM-G955W using FerrariChat.com mobile app

20. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    #21 kenneyd, Dec 23, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2019
    Um, are you not reading your own thread? Post 9, 17 and 18 are all about 355 and snapped belts.
    I think the point you're trying to make is that they do not snap related to mileage or even age. And I think that is a well-accepted fact here. Most caring owners do not change the belts simply because they are worn out and need to be changed, they changed them because they are keeping up with the maintenance records of the car. Its also cheap insurance, if you want to call it that. $150 worth of belts versus a $35000 motor. I worked on planes for a long time, most Lycoming and continental's I've taken off at TBO did not come off because they were worn out. They came off because the manufacturer of the motor determine an acceptable level of risk & Beyond that it was obviously deemed unacceptable.

Of those three belt failures I posted, as well the others I have read about. They are all related to poor installation, debris, or an external factors such as rust on the tensioner bearing.

21. radlu

radlu Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2005
    Note: 360 belt exact same as F355 belt. E x a c t

Plus, Fiorano10 belt looks like it's from 2006 (date code).... so his belt is already 14 years old.

Ouch! LOL. I wouldn't want to own that car.

kenneyd likes this.
  22. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    But it's okay, he mentioned in his posst he has a free-flowing cat, so that will make it last another 10 years

23. radlu

radlu Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2005
    LOL. Probably has CEL's everywhere. A mess.

24. radlu

radlu Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2005
    carnutdallas likes this.