458 - Looking for a 458 and I have a couple questions | FerrariChat

458 Looking for a 458 and I have a couple questions

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Dragster, Apr 5, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dragster

Dragster Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    Hey everyone! I'm in the early stages of my search for a 458, and I have a couple questions:

1) Does anyone have a picture of Rosso Scuderia next to Rosso Corsa (preferably outside in the sun)? I want a red one, but I haven't seen Rosso Scuderia in person and I'm trying to get a reference for what it looks like.

2) I'm torn on the interior color I prefer. I like the "traditional" look of red with tan interior, but I think I'm open to black as well--partly because it give me more choice of cars, but also because I think it will show less wear than tan. From those that have owned one or both, what are the opinions on the wear of tan versus black? Ideally I will be keeping this car forever, and I know I'd be annoyed if my tan seats were blue from wearing jeans after a few months. I've never owned a car with tan leather, so I don't know how easy it is to keep clean relative to black.

3) Would you advise getting a PPI on a CPO car? I would imagine that a CPO car would be well sorted, but I read a review somewhere about a guy that got a CPO car and it was damaged and not disclosed throughout the buying process.

Thanks for the help!

2. PMiranda

PMiranda Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2004
    Austin, TX
    2. I wear stonewashed jeans and sit in a light grey interior on a daily basis and have never experienced blue die transfer.
    3. I thought a PPI was part of certification but I haven’t bought a CPO car (yet) so if I’m wrong I’d love to hear about it.

Dragster likes this.
  3. rob5819

rob5819 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2017
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rob Barry
    I have a 2014 Rosso Corsa 458 Spider. I don't have pictures of it with a Rosso Scuderia, but have been next to a few in person. I felt the Scuderia had a little more orange in it. Check out: https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/rosso-corsa-vs-rosso-scuderia.633216/.

My car has nero interior. Greatly preferred to any tan interior (in my opinion).

Both rosso reds are fantastic colors. Rosso Portofino is also amazing, a little more black than Rosso Corsa.

I bought my car CPO and didn't worry about a PPI. All the service had been done by the local dealer and I have faith in them.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

ShadowLAP, Mikael-F360 and Dragster like this.
  4. Spezia

Spezia Karting

Dec 15, 2019
    Full Name:
    John Weires
    I've seen both side by side and I agree that Scuderia has a bit more orange in it than Corsa. I like both and consider their appearance a tie.

I prefer tan interiors. Black is so ubiquitous that I usually look for other interior color combinations.
    This being said some exterior colors look best with black interiors.

Regarding wear, IMO most Ferrari owners don't use their cars enough for this to be much of an issue.
    Just keep your leather cleaned and conditioned, regardless of color and you should be ok.

Dragster likes this.
  5. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    Five bucks you won't. We all say that....lol. For example if another V8 natural aspirated mid engine is in the pipeline, I will trade in my 458.

Dragster and RayJohns like this.
  6. Mikael-F360

Mikael-F360 Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2017
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael E.
  7. Mikael-F360

Apr 3, 2017
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael E.
    Definitely a nero interior. Tan looks dated and old. Black = timeless.

Buy from an official Ferrari dealer to get the Power Warranty. It is very good to have.

Dragster and RayJohns like this.
  8. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    What Ferrari needs to do is stick a normally aspirated V10 that revs to 9700 into something that looks like a Roma crossed w/ the TDF and price it around $300K - then you'd see people liquidating their 458's and 812's in record time haha :)

Ray

IloveGT and SVCalifornia like this.
  9. Mikael-F360

Apr 3, 2017
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael E.
    ...aaaaand because this is not possible with the current emission and noise regulations, we will be hanging on to our precious 458s indefinitely! :)

pnd4pnd and IloveGT like this.
  10. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    Lamborghini seems to not worry about noise regulations and still designs very loud V10. So I think Ferrari has no excuse here...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IloveGT and RayJohns like this.
  11. FerrariCognoscenti

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    My 458 is Rosso Scuderia with tan interior and the interior is beautiful and you can appreciate the details. The black interior basically hides everything, including details, and is very boring. I wouldn’t get a black interior unless I had a black or blue car. The tan leather is high quality and holds up very well and is durable. My car is a 2010 with 20k miles and the tan still looks new.

458 Spider 0414 and Dragster like this.
  12. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    If Ferrari can make a V12 they can make a V10! :)

Ray

13. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    Lamborghini's V10 block has been around for 15+ years and is well expensed. For Ferrari to develop a new V10 engine now, chances are quite low they will recoup expenses before it is no longer allowed per EU 2025+ regulations....

14. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX

RS, on left, is like a washed-out or lighter red, RC on right

RS in foreground, RC background

RS on its own can "pop" and look great, you should see one in-person and not in harsh direct sunlight

I think a darker interior works better.

CPO doesn't warrant damages to the car body/frame, you would still be encouraged to get an independent PPI...

Dragster likes this.
  15. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
  16. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    i believe the general rule of thumb is that tan clashes with rosso scuderia and a black interior fits the color better. i have tan on rosso corsa which i guess is standard. I have a bit of bolster wear but everything else is holding up. no issue with blue jeans, etc. I would not worry about a PPI on a CPO car. I would care more about maintenance records, etc.

Dragster likes this.
  17. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    I have crema seats in one of my Ferraris, beige (is that what is meant by tan?) in another. A good leather protector and cleaner of the type made by GTechniq or similar will ensure your jeans don’t mark the seats permanently. Black dye (rather than blue) from denim is the real killer.

Take care of your seats and they will take care of you.

AlfistaPortoghese and Dragster like this.
  18. gobble

gobble Formula 3
    Owner Regional Sponsor

Jan 29, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Ferrarifobs.com
    My car has cuoio interior and I just love it. I would never, ever, ever settle for a black interior in a red Ferrari. I think the tan/cuoio has the rich look of a fine Ferrari leather bag.

458 Spider 0414, rob5819 and Dragster like this.
  19. axlesofevil

axlesofevil Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    @rob5819 You and I just need to get our cars together at some point :p You ever go to the Rancho Santa Fe C&C on Saturday mornings?

@Dragster here's an album of my 458 in Rosso Scuderia: https://imgur.com/a/VJ6f9Sg

I know it's hard to tell the difference between the two colors without seeing them in the same lighting side by side but hope it helps a little. If I were you I wouldn't worry too much about the color difference. At least the exterior. If you hate the interior you can't escape that when you're driving it!

Dragster likes this.
  20. FerrariCognoscenti

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    Beautiful car did you wrap the roof black?

21. rob5819

rob5819 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2017
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rob Barry
    I didn't know C&C in RSF was back again, barely five miles from my house. Let me know if you will be there and I will join and we can do Rosso Corsa vs.Rosso Scuderia side by side. Your black roof tempts me to get my roof wrapped in black instead of gray:

Admittedly, I have a morning running addiction (https://www.strava.com/athletes/23492053) so probably wouldn't make it there until 9 or 10am to get my miles in.

Rob

axlesofevil likes this.
  22. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Problem the way l saw it that the RC and RS are both solid colours. For me its always and will always be the RC but because its a solid colour it will look flat at certain angles. Look at the photo above on the guard. I always hated this phenomena.

This can be fixed by going Metallic. Boy was i happy when they introduced the colour Rosso Corsa Metalizato with the 488 GTB introduction. Yes extra $$$$ but the Rosso Corsa l love.

RoadRonin likes this.
  23. axlesofevil

axlesofevil Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Nope. Factory option. I actually didn't like it at first but it's really grown on me. I'm glad I have it.

24. Dragster

Dragster Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    Thanks for all the replies, and I appreciate all of the pictures! There are some beautiful 458s out there! I might have to take a look and see if there's any Rosso Scuderia cars in the area that I can see in person, but at the end of the day, I'm sure I'd be happy with either.

25. axlesofevil

axlesofevil Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    I prefer my black interior, but your cuoio interior -- which looks deeper and richer than the other "tan" interiors I've seen -- does look really good. It does remind me of a fine leather bag or a baseball glove. :p