430 - Car beeping 4 times after lock/unlock | FerrariChat

430 Car beeping 4 times after lock/unlock

Discussion in '360/430' started by Mario Andretti, Nov 25, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mario Andretti

Mario Andretti Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Aug 9, 2020
    Boston
    Hi all,

A new problem developed; went for a drive today with my son, and upon leaving and locking the car, I almost closed the door, but she beeped 4 times quickly about 20 seconds after lock.
    I don't want it to beep there at storage location, so I went back to unlock it. It unlocked fine, no extra beeps. Lock it, and there are 4 beeps again after a while (20 seconds or so).

Checked all doors, engine , boot to be closed. Still beep. I felt nervous leaving it there like that so I disconnected the battery and left it like that until next time.

I cannot find anything in the manual regarding this, it must be signaling some code beeping 4 times exactly... anyone knows what it is?

Many thanks for any feedback.

2. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    It's an error code. Two beeps is a problem with one of the closures, and four is something else (I forget).

3. Mario Andretti

Mario Andretti Formula 3

Aug 9, 2020
    Boston
    And of course Happy Thanksgiving all!

PS> I checked online, and read all my manuals to find anything, there is nothing in the immobilizer/alarm chapter about the error codes..

4. Ferrarista98

Ferrarista98 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 7, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jason L
    My 355 beeps 4 times on lock when something is open. In my case it’s the frunk for the battery tender. Double check all doors and hoods and perhaps a sensor is failed on one?

Qavion and Mario Andretti like this.
  5. Alpintourer

Alpintourer F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 20, 2013
    The Low Country
    Full Name:
    Dave Steven
    I get the occasional 4 beeps on my 360. I've ignored it; no common denominator. Has not been a problem.

6. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Interesting. There is no mention of 4 beeps in the manual.

Note that the F430 alarm/immobiliser system is a little different from 360/355 systems. There are two separate ECUs:

Alarm ECU (under the pedals)
    Immobiliser ECU (under the dash near the steering column)

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    There is no mention of 4 beeps, only 4 flashes of the LED. Are you getting 4 flashes prior to turning on the ignition?

For info: Looking at the wiring diagrams, the alarm ECU cannot differentiate between an open engine compartment and an open luggage compartment (so the 4 flashes may indicate either). The switch wiring is basically spliced together. Note, however, that because the instrument display wiring (for open engine compartment and open luggage compartment) is in parallel with the alarm system, diodes must be used to allow independent instrument warnings for frunk and engine lid.

Turning off the battery is no guarantee that the siren will not go off (at least not on my F355)

f355spider likes this.
  7. Mario Andretti

Mario Andretti Formula 3

Aug 9, 2020
    Boston
    Thank you again ! I will look at the led for sure next time when I get to it. I don't see the led to be honest flashing at all, only after I lock it, it flashed about once a second or so, but I did not look at it after locking...
    It definitely beeps 4 times, after 20 seconds or so after locking. I know the alarm could go off with battery off, but I unlocked the car by the button, disconnected battery and locked it again just by the key, so nobody could get in just in case... not that it would help much if they broke into the garage...

It might be offending door which is not dropping the window as well, maybe the door close sensor is busted now ? Not sure, more digging is needed..

Cheers

Qavion likes this.
  8. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    #8 Qavion, Nov 25, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2021
    Interesting. I forgot you had a window drop problem. I don't have a wiring diagram for the standard F430, but on the Scud, the Alarm ECU receives at least two different "open/opening" signals from the doors:

1) an earth from the switches on the driver's and passenger's door frames (near the hinges).
    2) an earth from microswitch "M004-B" inside the driver's door latch via diode "P201". That same doorlatch switch sends an earth to the following:

Interior light time delay module pin 7 via diode "P201"
    Driver's door open warning light (instrument binnacle)
    Window ECU (possibly one of the inputs for window drop)
    F1 TCU

Window problem ref: https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/posts/148192714/

Mario Andretti likes this.
  9. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Using the car without the window dropping? The winnow must be binding on the A pillar?

10. Mario Andretti

Mario Andretti Formula 3

Aug 9, 2020
    Boston
    If you move the window up or down, it drops when you get out of the car. It then stops dropping further... It has actually enough play to open relatively easy... I am not driving anymore it until spring, so I'll get to it then ... need to open the door fully to check for continuity in the plug, I suspect a faulty switch or sensor.

I was so stupid, I was wondering why you have to smack the door so hard to close it; it was because of the window dragging on the rubber seal up the top :)

11. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Be careful with that - it'll bend the window lift assembly and create a lot of free play.

12. Mario Andretti

Mario Andretti Formula 3

Aug 9, 2020
    Boston
    Ok, update. I went to change my cat temp sensor which was causing an error on startup; success. No more errors. But the beeps are actually 5, not 4 (they are fast, hard to count :)) , and are unrelated to boot orengine bay open, or door. If you leave one of those open, it will lock with a beep. If you close everything, it locks with no beeps, and beeps very fast 5 times after about 20 seconds....
    Surely someone must know what this is... I hate to go to the dealer and fork out 500 bucks just to find out ...

13. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Weird.

How old is the battery in the siren? Just wondering if a battery leak/fault is causing this strangeness.

14. Mario Andretti

Mario Andretti Formula 3

Aug 9, 2020
    Boston
    I don't know; I bought the car in September (delivery around 5 sept) and it actually started lately as it got colder outside as it is stored in a non-heated garage..
    It makes sense about the alarm battery, being a 2005 and all the time in California until now (I am in Boston, so cold cold) , maybe alarm battery is calling quits?

Thanks

15. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    Does the dash LED stay on RED always?

16. Mario Andretti

Mario Andretti Formula 3

Aug 9, 2020
    Boston
    After I lock it, the alarm led on the small panel bottom left from the steering flashes on and off. The led on the radio is solid red all the time.

EDIT: I might be wrong and you might be right, the LED might not be on the radio but on dash? I have to double check. Anyways, that one is solid red, yes.

17. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    if LED does not stay ON RED all the time then most likely your problem is not the alarm siren battery

UNLESS the battery is leaking and damaging the circuit board

How old is the car battery?

18. Mario Andretti

Mario Andretti Formula 3

Aug 9, 2020
    Boston
    So the led on the left is flashing slowly, and the top is is solid.... I just checked the docs that came with the car, battery was changed in 2013?? Oops. Might need a new battery. But it cranks fine, even after staying for 2 weeks, and it's been cold here as well.

When I check the voltage (before starting her), it's always over 12V, even after sitting?

19. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    I would bet that beep might go away with a change of battery

Your battery has a few years on it

20. Mario Andretti

Mario Andretti Formula 3

Aug 9, 2020
    Boston
    I am on it, looking for a battery :) .. Problem I have, I think I need to fully open the door to replace it, and I can't where she is stored now. I see a warmer day tomorrow, so I might have a go if it doesn't rain. I will sleep better if I know the problem is resolved, even though I might not drive the car until spring :)

21. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    you will need to fully open the passenger door to access the battery

be very careful with the steel footrest bar to make sure you tie that up out of the way

that hits the battery and you will have a huge problem

Qavion likes this.
  22. Mario Andretti

Mario Andretti Formula 3

Aug 9, 2020
    Boston
    Ok, battery changed today with brand new H6 AGM. Car cranks much quicker now, big difference. Problem is.. still beeping exactly like before.. What else can it be?
    Alarm battery; where is that located ?

Thanks

23. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
  24. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran