328 gearbox leak | FerrariChat

328 gearbox leak

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by dhs-9, Feb 10, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dhs-9

dhs-9 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2004
    I was considering a purchase of a 1987 328 with 22,000mi. The dealer told me he has to drop the transmission since it developed a leak. Is this common for a 328 of this age. Is it any indication the car was abused when driven or not maintained?

Thanks

Dave

2. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    My 328 only has 1 leak - The transmission shift shaft. I was told by my mechanic that it is about a $500 repair, but isn't necessary. As he put it, "Oil is cheap". I don't think it means the car is abused & I understand it is fairly common - Just use it as a bargaining chip. :)

3. DBR328&330

DBR328&330 Formula Junior

May 31, 2001
    Winchester, VA
    Full Name:
    Daniel Reese
    Very common. I had mine fixed though.

4. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    It's common...it is also a USED car, and SEVENTEEN years old to boot. It will not be perfect. If it leaks, fix it. Not to worry. :)

5. Tod328gts

Tod328gts Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2003
    River Forest, IL
    Full Name:
    Tod Whitmore
    Having my Shift shaft seal being replaced now, while they are doing my Major service. I had oil all over the trans pan, the mechanic told me that the seal between the oil pan and trans pan was leaking, causing the trans pan to fill up with fluid and start leaking out the over flow, thus creating a big mess..

It will be like new now after they replace it. They said it should be good for about 10 years now...

See my other post for pictures : http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7445

6. peajay

peajay Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2002
    near Paris, France
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I have an 87 328 also and like the majority of cars it also has a little oil leak. Mine is from the gearbox oil pan, I plan to put it on jack stands and maybe pull off the cover and make a new gasket. I agree with evryone else, all old cars have leaks, so long as it is not excessive don't worry about it and fix it when you can. Save you cash and do it your self, if you have the interest of course.

7. Mark 328

Mark 328 Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    Orange, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark Foley
    The British Motorcycle guys say its good when it leaks -- it lets you know the engine is running!!

8. ktmrider

ktmrider Rookie

Oct 30, 2005
    Mine was leaking around the gasket in several places dripping on the garage floor and coating the frame . Makes a mess of the Ferrari undercoating . Easy fix . Bought the gasket from Ricambi ( Novus brand ) . Dropped the pan aftter draining the lube and taking out 16 10 mm nuts . careful before pan drops as there are 3 springs at the gasket edge on the drivers side of the car with balls atop and one had a sleeve on the bottom . On refitting , I swabbed out the spring holes , filled then with non-silicone grease to hold the balls and springs in place slid the sleeve in ( goes closest to front of car) . Before doing this I sprayed some aerosol adhesive ( craft store temporary adhesive ) on the gasket so it would stick to the gearbox gasket face . Make sure the gearbox gasket face is really clean so it will stick . I sprayed a little starting fluid on a rag and wiped it 2-3 times to rid it of oil . No more leak . Also a good time to inspect the synchro rings and gear teeth faces as well as see how much stuff is in the depression in the pan tray . Mine was virtually clean maybe 0.5 gram of detritus in there . aAso check the tiny screen filter in the driver side of the gearbox housing for crud . Mine was clean and it looks fairly fragile so would not disturb if dirty . Maybe a little compressed air and some cleaning fluid if dirty . Oil pan is not as simple .

9. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    I get the impression that shift shaft seals are "consumables" --- like the water pump. Just something you have to fix periodically.