Griot's trim reconditioner | FerrariChat

Griot's trim reconditioner

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by peajay, Feb 22, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. peajay

peajay Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2002
    near Paris, France
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I want to bring back the finish on the roof section of my 328 GTS and I have heard that Griot's bumper and trim reconditioner is really good stuff. Is it only available on their web site ? can anyone recommend something else that is easier to get ?

2. EVartanian

EVartanian Formula 3

Mar 19, 2002
    Sunny SoCal
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Mother's Back to Black is pretty great. Not really greasy. Rub it on, and buff to a nice deep black. Little to no slick residue. Probably can find it at your local auto parts story.

3. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    I like Griot's, too. It is fortified with aloe and vitamin B to bring out my car's natural highlights.

4. Eric308gtsiqv

Eric308gtsiqv Formula 3

Nov 26, 2001
    Orange Park, Florida
    Full Name:
    Eric Eiland
    Griot's Bumper & Trim Reconditioner is a black liquid (similar to shoe polish) that permanently dyes the vinyl and rubber trim surfaces. It can be applied to the targa top / spoiler / bumpers using the foam tip applicator, but I'd strongly recommend using a small 4" - 6" terry cloth or foam applicator pad to achieve better coverage results for large areas such as the targa top. Depending upon how faded your targa is, it may take up to 15 coats to get the desired semi-glossy "new" look. One bottle should be enough (it was in my case).

Mother's Back-to-Black is a white milky creamy liquid that is more of a "dressing" conditioner. I use it often for "maintenance" of the black rubber, vinyl, plastic surfaces. Simply wipe it on, and buff it dry. It even works great on black painted metal surfaces too, like wiper blade arms, anodized grills and trim, emblems, license frames, etc.

Another favorite of mine is Meguiar's Gold Class Trim Detailer, which is similar to Mother's B-T-B, but is more creamy, easier to use, and lasts longer with better results, IMHO. Here's the link: http://www.meguiars.com/store_meguiars/search_results.cfm

One thing I might point out: if you decide to coat / dye your targa with the Griots Reconditioner product, then I'd recommend also using Griots Paint Prep *FIRST* before applying the black reconditioner so as to remove any old wax, protectant, dirt, grime, etc. Same thing for bumpers, or any large surface areas. Here's the link: http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?&SKU=11135

Hope this helps...