What would Enzo say...? | FerrariChat

What would Enzo say...?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by 134282, Nov 13, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Reading this thread (http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?p=13087#post13087), i'm wondering what Enzo would say if he were around today, about those folks who collect Ferraris and store them somewhere, never to be driven again...?

Also, were there any collectors like this back when Enzo was alive...? If so, did he still sell to them...?

2. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Enzo's only interest was to make enough $$$ to pay for his racecars. I bet he'd happily sold as many cars to the collectors as they wanted.

3. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Yeah, but Andreas, in the Tommy Hilfiger ENZO thread, some people speculated that Enzo would've bought the car back from him and never sold him another for the comment he made; that Tommy didn't appreciate the real reason of owning the Enzo... That thread wound up clearing up Tommy's statement, but my point is the speculation that was made earlier on... i know he was so focused on selling his road cars to finance his race team but on the same token, i know that he was very picky as to who he'd sell to...

4. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    DES, the Enzo deal is different from all other Ferraris (if I'm wrong here, please somebody correct me): I believe this is the first limited production run where Ferrari picked the buyers. I think all previous cars were built and sold to whoever wanted one. The restrictions put on the F50 were merely a reaction of the company to the speculative trading of Ferrari cars at the end of the eighties which drove the prices skyhigh. However the F50 "lease" was unpopular with many customers. So they thought of a different scheme for the Enzo.

Also the Enzo is the first car where they wanted to give something back to their main customers, so they hand picked them. Probably avoiding speculation was another argument, although as it shows they couldn't really block that totally.

But aside from that, Enzo really couldn't care less who bought the cars. He probably felt sad if somebody didn't drive them, but was businessman enough not to say something.

5. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    DES , most of those Ferraris are used, its just that when they are not, they are parked in those museum . I saw Sachs, Matsuda, Wang, Bardinons Ferraris in several events.

Its just that those guys have a lot of Fcars and not enough time.

6. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Andreas, something to consider in comparing Enzo the man with Enzo the car is that it's a bit like comparing drivers from different eras. In Enzo's day, the car biz was a much different climate than it is today. The whole F50 deal was the factory's attempt to react to a new factor in exotic car collecting--the scalper. Just like there weren't myriad ticket scalping companies decades ago. But now it's become an issue in sports and music. So, you're probably right to an extent in saying that Enzo would be happy so long as his cars sold. But I doubt he'd enjoy sitting in his office reading the auto rags and seeing 2 dozen of them advertised for $1 million, which in reality are probably the same 4-5 cars repped by different brokers. In fact, Enzo struck me as the type who would try to chase these guys down and put them out of business for bastardizing his marque.

7. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Good point Andrew. Reminds me of a story I read in Forza about the mechanic who is in charge of David Letterman's car collection (which includes some nice Ferraris). He does all the maintenance and maintenance driving.

How's that for a job DES?

8. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Oh Jack, do I ever get away from my comparison of drivers from different times? I was hoping that one would have gone away with the change of the forum...Thank's for bringing it back. Nott.

You're right of course about your remarks regarding Enzo & Enzo.

9. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Andreas, what you're saying makes sense, but Jack's interpretation of what Enzo's attitude would have been seems more accurate from what i've read about the man...

Oh, and yeah... The mechanic's got a cool job... Now if only i knew something (translation: anything) about mechanics... :)

10. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion

DES , just drive the cars once or twice ...everyday :) and they should be fine :p

11. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Um, yeah, i think i could do that... :)

12. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    Yeah, I don't think Enzo would be too broken up as long as Schumacher kept getting the checkered flag.

And, to confirm amenasce's comment, I have seen cars from these private collections too, such as the 250 GTO reunion that takes place every five years.

13. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Enzo probably wouldnt have given a damn & probably would have laughed all the way to the bank. As theyve said before, It was all about the racing & the mind games with Enzo

14. scuderia47

scuderia47 Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Mainland
    Full Name:
    Bill
    "I believe this is the first limited production run where Ferrari picked the buyers" tifosi12

tifosi12,

they "hand picked" the owners for the 550 Barchetta also (they made 449, right?), but I dont know if they did for any cars before this one.

bill

15. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    People buy Ferraris and don't drive them?????

16. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Do you suppose the F-50 lease program had an influence on certain F-50 haters? There's got to be more to it than they simply think the world of the F-40.

17. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I think the criticism of the F-50 (aside from the unusual leasing program) was mostly caused by its performance or the lack thereof. Remember how Ferrari didn't want to give a test car to Road & Track (or Car & Driver, can't remember) for a test? And the US owners who were willing to give their own cars for the test got nasty phone calls and letters.

The factory knew, that the F-50 couldn't really beat the F40. OTOH the F-50 packaged the power a lot nicer and made it easier to handle for Joe Average to drive. Those twin turbos on the F-40 are for people with good reflexes at the apex.