308QV Died | FerrariChat

308QV Died

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by bustedknuckle1, May 4, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bustedknuckle1

Feb 4, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Frank Mummolo
    Recently took delivery of an 84 308QV (30,000 miles) whose service records are incomplete, to say the least. For sure it needs a belt service, which is being scheduled.

Driving the car the other day at highway speeds (European, not American), I noticed the car losing power as I accelerated from cruising speed. Once I backed off the throttle, it ran fine. Concerned that I was about to get stranded in a new (i.e., unfamiliar) car, I headed for home. As I exited the ramp and lifted my foot off the throttle completely to stop, it died. And for the next several hours would crank but not start.

So I had the car towed home and sat it in the garage for two weeks, waiting for some routine maintenance parts (filters, etc). Meanwhile, I tried to start it just for kicks. And of course it started. I'm guessing a plugging fuel filter, but wanted to see what you guys thought. I know the "fuel and fire" routine, but haven't had time to diagnose more thoroughly. And after reading this site for a while, I'm pretty freaked out about some of the things that go wrong with these cars. My Porsche is bulletproof.

Thanks for any help.

Frank

2. 308GTS

308GTS Formula 3

Dec 27, 2001
    TN
    A 308 isn't a Porsche. It is much better IMO. I prefer 308s much more. Could be many things, ignition, flywheel sensors, extenders, coils, etc. Best to first figure out if it is a fuel or ignition problem. These cars aren't idiot proof like other makes are.

3. hoffmeister

hoffmeister Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Baghdad...again
    Full Name:
    Jesse
    Hello,

I had this exact same problem in my 81' 308 about a week and a half ago. About a week previous to that I had a blown fuel pump and had to get a new one. Turns out the second time around, the fuel tank hoses were going bad and was causing black stuff to clog up the fuel pump and cause it to stop running on me just like you explained. I had the tanks cleaned and filters placed on new hoses to keep this from happening again. Hopefully I won't have this problem anymore, picking it up tomorrow afternoon.

Good luck,

Jesse

4. bustedknuckle1

Feb 4, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Frank Mummolo
    Thanks, Jesse. Never thought about the fuel hose degradation possibility. I'll check it out.

Let me know how you make out as well.

Regards,

Frank

5. Mark 328

Mark 328 Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    Orange, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark Foley
    There is a strainer in the fuel tank that strains the fule prior t oit leaving the fuel tank. My suggestion is that you remove the fitting at the fuel tank where the fuel pump hose attaches and clean the fuel tank strainer. (a deep 15/16 socket is required). A clogged strainer could cause missing and it will burn-out even a new fuel pump.

Mark

6. bustedknuckle1

Feb 4, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Frank Mummolo
    Thanks, Mark. I would not have thought of that. Well, this weekend will be the beginning of the troubleshooting. I'll do the filter and clean the strainer and see what we get.

Regards,

Frank

7. gonzo350

gonzo350 Karting

Apr 3, 2004
    Lafayette Indiana
    Full Name:
    Myles
    If you noticed black smoke as you were loosing power....try disconnecting your cold start valve......I had one that would stick open every once in a while......drove me nuts. Car would be fine one minute and complete choked with fuel the next. Just a thought.

8. bustedknuckle1

Feb 4, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Frank Mummolo
    No, didn't see any smoke, but I wasn't really focused on that, either. I'll keep it in mind as I'm eliminating things.

Thanks!

9. Wayne 962

Wayne 962 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 27, 2003
    Proper fuel pressure is very important to these CIS cars. Check the control pressures in the system to make sure that your fuel pump / check valves / accumulator is working okay...

-Wayne

10. bustedknuckle1

Feb 4, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Frank Mummolo
    Thanks, Wayne. So far, I've replaced the fuel filter (which looks like it was never changed!) and checked the tank strainer (some debris).

Car runs and drives OK, but I'm still suspicious. Don't have the apparatus to check the fuel pump delivery pressure, but I know a shop that does. Had this very problem on an 84 Alfa Spyder years ago and it drove me nuts until I figured it out. Car would run for a while and quit. Finally, the pump degraded to a point where it wouldn't run at all and that's how I found it.

Thanks, Wayne, for the advice.

11. Wayne 962

Wayne 962 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 27, 2003
    I'm not super-familiar with the CIS system on the later 308s, but the 911s have a check valve in the fuel pump that often fails, and a fuel accumulator that also fails. Both of these can cause vapor lock which results in a warm start problem...

-Wayne

12. hoffmeister

Nov 1, 2003
    Baghdad...again
    Full Name:
    Jesse
    Finally got my car back. Turns out the fuel filter that sets in the gas tank? literally rotted away and swept thru the fuel system and most likely caused my first fuel pump to fail and caused the second one to block up. You can see where the end of it (picture is a little blurry) is broken off and should extend farther than what it is. I also have run thru 2 bottles of Techron additive and it's running great right now (crossing fingers). Just FYI.

Jesse

13. bustedknuckle1

Feb 4, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Frank Mummolo
    Jesse,

Wow. That's really unnerving. Can you be any more specific on where this thing is located? I'd like to check mine as well. Figures I'd have a full tank of gas when I learn this!

Regards,

Frank

14. 308GTS

308GTS Formula 3

Dec 27, 2001
    TN
    Drivers side tank at the bottom where the fuel comes from the tank to the fuel pump. The filter (screen) is actually inside the tank. It unscrews from the tank.

15. bustedknuckle1

Feb 4, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Frank Mummolo

Thanks!

16. hoffmeister

Nov 1, 2003
    Baghdad...again
    Full Name:
    Jesse
    Yep, exactly.

What I found amusing was that once they fixed this particular problem, I asked them if they had checked the other fuel hoses and the crossover hose. They said, "Ok, we'll do that." Turns out the other hoses were rotted too and I had to wait another 2 days for them to order some metric hose. They called me up and said "Good thing you told us to check the other hoses." WTF? Wouldn't that just be obvious? Oh well, seems to be running smooth now...(knock on wood).

Jesse

17. bustedknuckle1

Feb 4, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Frank Mummolo
    Glad to hear things are looking good w/your car. But that fuel hose story! I thought we pay mechanics for THEIR advice.....this is a strange world, this F-car place. I am a long-time German car owner and this is going to take some getting used to.

BTW, I've scheduled my car for a cam belt service next week, so your advice is timely. I'll have them do a thorough inspection while it's in the shop.

Regards,

Frank

18. bustedknuckle1

Feb 4, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Frank Mummolo
    Just thought I'd post a word on the "dead" QV. It seems it turned out to be a fuel filter problem, as all other vital signs were normal and the car has run great since its recent service. Just spent the 7/4 weekend in New Hope and it performed flawlwssly! Thanks to all for the advice and suggestions.
    Enjoy the summer drive time!

Frank