Some A%%hle just stole my maserati emblem | FerrariChat

Some A%%hle just stole my maserati emblem

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by GregD, Jul 10, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GregD

GregD Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Well, I never had this problem before, with previous cars, but some jerkwad stole my emblem from the front grill.
    It happened at one of three places between 1pm and 8pm: Manhattan beach parking lot this afternoon (11/2 hrs) at highland and rosecrans, Westside pavillion underground garage (15 minutes), or parking structure in westwood by california pizza kitchen (15 minutes). I dont think it happened at westwood.

I left the car longest in manhattan but in all cases the car was in a structure and either facing a wall in a corner spot or alone on a lower level.

I dont want to park next to people cause no matter what, the first time I do, someone throws their door into my side panel. It happened twice with my Jaguar so Im always careful.

I know its going to cost cause the chrome grill is damaged too.

I guess Im going to have to park on the street rather than in stalls and out in the open, in the sun rather than in a parking structure.

2. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    In Puerto Rico it used to be fashionable to see crappy Toyotas, Hondas, Nissans etc sporting BMW, MB, Audi & other emblems

It was also common to see these other cars missing their emblems, crazy

3. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    I knew this could be a potential problem the first time I saw the emblem even though it seems this problem has eased some I remember my fathers cadilac emblems getting stolen on what seemed like a monthly basis in the 1970s. Now you got those hip hop kids stealing them and wearing them as jewelry. Not worth letting it stress you out to much, there will always be a holes and not much we can do about it

4. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Greg, it's a damn shame this happened. Seriously.

He can only hope Karma will catch up with him before you do.

Is yours an Anniversary Edition?

5. GregD

GregD Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Mine is the coupe with the vintage package, so it has the chrome mesh grill behind the emblem. Im not sure what the anniversary edition is but, the cars anniversary is that it will be two weeks since I purchased it this coming monday.

I have been kind of stressed but your right, I shouldnt let it get to me.

Im fairly certain it happened in Manhattan beach because of the parking position. It was parked in the corner by two walls.

I hope the dealer can fix it right away so I can stop thinking about it. I'm going to see if I can put a chrome cap on the hole while until monday.

luckily though they didnt scratch the paint. There is a minor scuff right under the bumper, but I can buff that out.

6. Evolved

Evolved F1 Veteran

Nov 5, 2003
    On your next emblem solder a 12 gauge wire between the hot battery terminal and the back of the emblem.

That should solve the problem.

7. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I heard Azzwipes were removing headlights from Porsche 911s in Miami, WITH A CROWBAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. GregD

GregD Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Thats a good idea, but if I were to shock someone dumb enough to steal an emblem, they would take it personally and probably scratch the car.

I noticed, just after leaving manhattan, that the interior door latch was sticking a bit but thought it was unrelated. This morning the rubber seal around the window, directly above this latch, was pushed in about the same width as a slimjim. So I dont think it was a kid, but rather someone looking to break into the car. Now, at least, I know it happened in manhattan beach at the parking structure.

I wish I knew a cop, because the guy left a huge handprint on the hood.

Anyways, the car drives great. Im having a lot of fun with it. I'll post some pictures I took after waxing it this friday.

9. coolestkidever

coolestkidever F1 Veteran

Feb 28, 2004
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    2 years ago when i was 14 my friends and I would steal embelems, i refused to take from a car over 45,000 dollars. It was a really stupid thing to do, but it was that rebellious phase and we had nothing better to do. I really feel sorry for you though, i always hated doing it b/c i know i would be pissed if someone did that to me but i was just trying to fit in.

10. wax

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    By all means, have it dusted!

11. Suzyq

Suzyq Karting

Mar 4, 2004
    I feel your pain. What needless destruction and a waste of energy.

I have a 2004 Mas Cambio Coupe and some insecure life form tried to take my emblem. Fortunately, it bailed before completing its intended crime, but the emblem is precariously bent. Straightening it will weaken it even more.

I am anal when it comes to parking and I drive my Mas nearly every day. You'd be surprised how many groceries I can pack in that baby. It's getting to the point that I might as well leave the car at home and walk, that's how far away I park.

Suzy

12. Stackhouse

Stackhouse F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 14, 2004
    IN YOUR TRUNK
    Full Name:
    CT.. AKA Pimp Daddy
    Hate to hear it. I second the idea to ground the battery to the grill. Fry the next A$$ who tries to violate your ride.

P.S. Keep an eye on e-bay im sure it will show up there!

PD

13. atheyg

atheyg Guest

Grounding the battery wont work.

Rig some razor blades behind the emblem, teach a POS a good lesson next time.

14. GregD

GregD Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Greg
    $ 1,260.00 for the parts about $ 100 for the install. At least the install price was a pleasant surprise.

15. Suzyq

Suzyq Karting

Mar 4, 2004
    G.D.

Cost sounds right, but it's so true that you can't always estimate their install.

Did you consider the new Vintage grill at all as a replacement?

16. GregD

GregD Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Suzy, I didnt think of upgrading the grill when I called the shop. The 2005 grills are slightly different, but are they available and would they fit a 2004 bumper? I'll find out tommorow.

I did have the car dusted on Monday. Manhattan PD dusted the handprint on the hood and retrieved very clear prints of the entire palm, 4 fingers, and thumb. If the print is in their database, a detective will make contact.
    However, they did tell me not to be too hopeful as exterior prints alone cannot convict. Hopefully he will answer his door with the emblem hanging around his neck.

17. wax

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    One can only hope. Everything on yet?

18. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    I wonder if anyone makes inexpensive yet nice looking magnetic emblems. Might be a pretty good idea...

19. GregD

GregD Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Greg
    The Emblem is back on and Im not worried about it anymore, sometimes I check the car though. Lesson learned: Don't park your car in a walled corner or alone in an underground structure where it cant be seen. The guy who took the emblem was probably working on it while people were walking/driving by the back side of the car.

I had taken some pictures but it was toward the end of the day so they came out a little dark.

I will post some better shots on another thread.

20. wax

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Good for you! I'll continue sticking pins in the Voodoo emblem-theft doll in strategic places.