ANOTHER 308 BUMPER THREAD! | FerrariChat

ANOTHER 308 BUMPER THREAD!

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by thecarreaper, Jul 21, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    Ok, i drilled the bumper shocks in the front. ( i am leaving my rear as is since i have been rear-ended in other cars several times) . my problem is, no matter how hard i beat on them , they " bounce " back. i have now drilled 2 holes , towards the rear ( in case they have sleeves that slide ) in each one, all the gas and oil is out, i am sure of it, but the darn things wont " collapse" i am using a 8 pound sledge hammer, ( i beat on airplanes and have great aim!) but the shocks will not sink in! there also appears to be a relief check ball in the front center of the shock, under the rubber mount. beating on it does no good either!
    any advice? and yes i looked at the threads and pics in the archives.
    help? :)

2. JonnyT

JonnyT Karting

Jan 21, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Jean-Paul
    Hrmmmm...for the life of me, I can't figure out your problem. Mine were so easy that I didn't even need to use a hammer...I just pushed on them and they went in. I did drill through the sleave though (towards the front)...maybe it makes a difference...

3. BobH

BobH F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Morristown, NJ
    Full Name:
    Robert H
    I pulled the shocks and drilled them out to release the oil. Then I used pipe clamps to compress the shocks to the desired length and to keep them exactly equal. Drilled a second hole and placed a self tapping bolts to keep the shocks from changing dimension.

4. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    ;) good idea, they seem like they have " spring " to them, you can beat the !@#$ out of them and they STILL pop back out. makes me wish i had left them alone :(

5. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    It is a good idea, but please don't use self tapping screws ... Italian cars have enough already trying to vibrate out. A close to completely useless invention ... especially for anything that moves or vibrates

Unfortunately my Alfa has hundreds of them ... I wish I could replace them with either a rivot or a proper bolt and threaded hole/welded nut or nut.

Self taping screws also ensure that they remove any paint from the metal your screw them in ... yep you guessed it a lovely invitation for our friendly rusty mate.

Simply horrible things IMO.

Pete

6. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    No problem here, I did mine with a 5lb rubber mallett. It took a little thumping, but moved easier than I thought it would. You sure you don't need to drill the front and not the back? I'll take a look when I get home.

7. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    i drilled them, twice, but i will check on them and this post when i get home today, guess its time to take them off the car!!!

8. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Why do you guy do this to your bumpers? Granted the stock US bumper don't exactly compliment the 308's lines but this mod looks armature and like crap. It doesn't invoke the Euro look. Every time I see a 308 with this done to it I just grin and shake my head. Sorry, but I' entitled to my opinion :-(

9. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven

Solution: Buy a Euro car :)

10. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Michael,
    I'm not sure how these are put together inside but I drilled the smaller or inner part of the shock which would be in the front not the back.

Johnk,
    Because they are our cars and we can if we want to!! If you don't want to don't. Pretty simple.

11. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    I'm not exactly sure where you are drilling but it sounds like you released the pressure to begin with but create more pressure during the collapsing process, towards the end of the stroke. I think there is still some gas trapped at the bottom of the stroke.

I drilled my cylinders through the sides, through the outer and inner sleeves, got a face full of water on one and gas on the other. I used the backs of my knees to move the rear one in and a little 4 lb sledge and block of wood on the front.

12. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    thank you, i am wondering if there is an inner chamber, it sure is acting like it. hee hee i got a few special drill bits to try...................:)

13. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    yea i drilled one in the front and one in the rear on the side. i did this when i had the lower valance et al off the car. i may just shoot the bastard with a .30 FMJ then i know i will have ......... PENETRATION !! carb and intake gaskets came in, going to be a busy weekend!!!! will post pics later.

14. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Because the stock 'crash bumper' on my '78 308 extends at least a half a foot past the body work of the car making it LOOK LIKE CRAP!

The stock US bumpers look like they came off of a tow truck at a demolition derby. How can less bumper look worse than cantilevered crash bars?

But it does. The front bumper on my 308 has been mistaken for Euro many times.

Yes, you are definately entitled to your opinion.
    I'm grinning and shaking my head too.

In a perfect world sports cars DON'T have bumpers.

15. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    I used a 1/16" High speed steel.

16. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Good point, next time I'll do that!:D

17. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    Yeah...what he said!

18. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    johnK

the american version was done to satify regulations at the time they look like crap, just like the bullsh*t smog laws then(and I am a conservationist, if all the giant corps can gross pollute I guess my 1000 miles a year shouldn't matter). I moved mine in on my gt4 and they look great, if anyone hits me well oh well, it would just be like having a real car like a 275 or 365.

I drilled mine out after removal and played with them for several weeks using a hydralic press and spraying wd40 down in them. I really suggest taking them off the car to do this BTW the bearing at the end is probably how they charged them and is tool steel and will break a bit or two!!!!

If it is still compressing/ expanding you have not let all the gas out... period

Rob

19. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    You can see the "profile line" on the bumper where the stylist originally intended it to "meet" the sheet metal.

US laws added the shocks and increased the protrusion.

We are only returning the car to the original 1976 intro appearance.

I'd make sure to do "something" to the shock system to insure it's continued structural integrity, with tack welding or a bolt.

Don't use a self tapper, Psk will be mad! Good point actually! :)

I pushed mine in by backing into JRVs 308GT4! Ooops.