Calling all furniture experts/connoisseur | FerrariChat

Calling all furniture experts/connoisseur

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by matterhorn762, Jul 19, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. matterhorn762

matterhorn762 Formula Junior

Apr 19, 2004
    Tennessee
    #1 matterhorn762, Jul 19, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I'm interested in replacing my living room furniture, and I have a very specific look in mind so finding something local is taking some effort. Internet shopping is difficult for obvious reasons. So I'm hoping somebody here can give me some ideas and/or experiences. Fortunately I live in North Carolina, where furniture stores are abundant.

I'm looking for a couch/love seat/chair combo with the following features:

* Brown/dark brown leather (preferably Italian of course), top grain
    * Wood trim
    * Nailpost style trim highlights
    * Curved back (anything but a flat back profile)

Here are some examples of the style (though not perfect). If you have something similar and can recommend it, please let me know. Thanks!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    The best copyist of traditional furniture designs that are readily available is probably Ralph Lauren which, at retail, will be significantly overpriced, but if you live in the backyard of where alot of this stuff is made, you might get it for a better price. Go to his website for home stuff, and poke around at the various styles. I would be reluctant to do an entire room in matching leather sofas and chairs, no matter how high the quality. It will look too contrived. If you are trying to emulate the "men's club" "library" look, there are any number of books you could pour through at a decent book store to give you ideas. That look might consist of: dark wooden, wide-slatted venetian blinds with canvas straps, or plantation style shutters (you are in the South, right?); a couple pieces of leather furniture, but no more; some armchairs, made of wood, with fabric or skin seating and backs; bookshelves; an old oil painting, properly lighted; a trestle table of some sort- the variations and styles are endless, perhaps perched behind the sofa, covered with some books, a nicely framed photo or two, etc. Buy a grand piano, they always take up alot of unnecessary room; hide the TV stuff in a cabinet, preferably old looking built-ins, where your books are; decent oriental rug: there are good sources for modest, but high quality copies, and incredible sources for the real thing; one dealer we have worked with just drops a couple or three off, and let's you live with them for a while. Lighting is important; avoid the predictable. Buy an old fireplace mantle and have it installed, even if you don't have a fireplace. I'll send you my bill..... (and, don't accuse me of being a decorator, i can put most of them to shame).

3. racerx

racerx Guest

Nov 23, 2003
    Truly great furniture is the ultimate luxury item. You spend more time with it than any other purchase. It can be usuable art. Beautiful to look at, enjoyable to use, pride in ownership. Buy custom hand crafted pieces as you can afford them. They will last longer than you do and will put a smile on your face many times. If you insist on leather and from the pics i see your best bet would be a true chesterfield sofa from England.
    T

4. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    Matterhorn, do they have any "surplus goods" or "freight damaged goods" places down there? There is a place here in Arkansas that had a contract to sell freight damaged goods. They held an auction about once a month. They received bizarre merchandise of all sorts from various shipping companies who had their shipments refused because of damage. A friend of mine (a doctor who wanted some nice furniture for his new house), purchased several very expensive leather sofas very similar to the ones that you posted. One had a broken wooden leg. My doctor friend once worked in a furniture sales store doing refinishing and repairs, so he repaired the broken leg in one afternoon. Another sofa had a small tear on the back side. So it was simply pushed up against the wall and the tear hasn't been seen since. My friend payed about $200 for each of those sofas which probably would have sold retail for about $1500 or $2000. Since you're in North Carolina which is home to all those furniture manufacturers, there is probably some sort of factory outlet store down there SOMEWHERE. Probably a local secret so as not to drain off business from the main stores.

5. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Matterhorn -

First, let me strongly suggest you come to High Point, NC and visit Furnitureland South. It really doesn't get any better than that. Remember, the main building pricetags list MSRP, so prepare to start negotiating at 30% beneath those numbers. Every major line is represented, and the place is absolutely overwhelming. Prepare to spend 2-4 hours in the main building. Have your measurements close at hand when you arrive. Leadtime on most items is about 4 months. The furniture industry is about as lazy as the Ferrari market -- you place your order, you pay your deposit, and you wait. My bedroom suit took about 4 months to arrive, but it was worth it.

Next, go across the parking lot to the FLS "outlet" which holds the showroom samples and "reject" pieces. These items are the exact same high-end luxury brands, but they've been on the floor as samples or have some minor scratches and stuff. A $20,000 dining table might be listed for 8K with a small scratch that a good repair person can fix for a few hundred dollars. The "deals" are good, the selection is straight out of Architectural Digest.

Next, cross the street to Boyles Furniture and look there too. Outstanding selection, comparable prices.

Another note: if you can hang on until October, I can easily get you into the International Home Furnishings Market in High Point. I think you'll be stunned when you see how this stuff is sold. Most of my home is furnished from the market directly -- usually at 80% under retail. I'm able to get into the market because my direct family (not the Passport Transport side) has been in the industry for 30+ years. Waiting for the market is always a wise move.

When you're headed this way, PM me. My office is on the southern end of Greensboro, about 4 minutes from Foreign Cars Italia, 10 minutes from Furniture Land South, and 23 seconds away from Grandover Resort. Nice location huh?

Pick fine furniture more carefully than a Ferrari. You'll see it more often, and it'll get far more use!!

Best Regards,
    Daniel

6. MoparMuscle

MoparMuscle Karting

Mar 13, 2004
    North Carolina
    A few years ago my father went shopping for a new furniture set with a similar criteria such as yours. After months and months of shopping and sitting he decided on a Basset Furniture line called Kingston. It is the most comfortable set I've ever sat on and it only gets softer the more you break it in. The leather is all natural cow hide and the cushions are really plush. Its a great set to nap on but not to sleep on for extended periods which is my only complaint. I find myself waking up from stiffness because the couch itself is so plush and there's not alot of room to move around which I tend to do while sleeping.

The kingston set from the factory was quite expensive. After expansive shopping, we found a place called Tysons in Black Mountain, NC. that had the Basset set for about 40% less than the Basset store. I suggest you go to your nearest Basset furniture store and see if they have the kingston leather set on display and try it out. If you're pleased, compare prices with Tysons in Black Mountain. Their number is (828) 669-5000.

Best of luck,

Brian

7. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    Have you tried any leather sofa stores in your area? In Dallas, most leather sofa speciality stores makes sofa to your spec, even you can specify the dimensions & thickness/firmness of foam, etc. If you do order at the right timing, leather could be on sale w/ discount of 30-50% off for particular colors & grades. (I think normally end of fiscal year, they tend to run discount to decrease inventory)

I saw photos' designed sofas in Costco, too. (I don't know the quality of leather)

8. Shellieme

Shellieme Rookie

Apr 19, 2004
    Raliegh, from TX&CA
    Matterhorn,
    There is a damaged freight store that you should visit up on 70 / Glenwood near Durham, NC. It would worth the trip. Good luck!

9. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    I live in the same neighborhood as the Broyhill Burnheart and Mitcheal Gold familys. What do you want and I bet I can get it some where here. In fact, between Daniel and I, we should be able to get just about anything!!