Anyone modified a gear shift gate ?? | FerrariChat

Anyone modified a gear shift gate ??

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by peajay, Aug 14, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. peajay

peajay Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2002
    near Paris, France
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I noticed one of the after market modified gear shifter gates and the claims that it improves the changing, the logic looks pretty sound. Has anyone installed one ? Or better still, has anyone modified their original gate to make it similar, looks like it only needs to have the corners ground off to a smooth contour and maybe a re-chrome.

2. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    Our sponsor Hill Engineering makes one called the "Slick Shift" gate. I installed one on my last 328. It definitely made the shifts easier and quicker.

3. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Hill's products are wonderful. If you have trouble once in a while making a quick shift, or like I do when I havent driven in a while and get stuck right between 2 gears and not going anywhere :rolleyes:, then its a great product to have.

That said, I would rather become profic. at using the stock gate for personal pride reasons. :) Besides it only takes a few min of practice.

4. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    Yes, I took a dremel tool to my original one and angled the exits and entrances... works great. By the way, for what it's worth, I've been told that the replacement part you'll get if you order a shift gate from a dealer has that same angled feature.

5. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    Search the archives. I modified several with a dremel tool, but you have to buy a special bit to cut through the stainless steel. There are photos in there somewhere.

6. martinlaw

martinlaw Rookie

Nov 4, 2003
    I modified mine last year using a file and emery paper.

The gate on a 328 is alloy so it far easier to profile.

Be VARY CAREFUL when filing not take too much off and weaken some of the gate sections as they are already very narrow.

Cheers,
    Martin.