WHEN? ITALIAN CAR SHOW AT LAKE LANIER | FerrariChat

WHEN? ITALIAN CAR SHOW AT LAKE LANIER

Discussion in 'South Central - USA (TN, MS, AL, GA)' started by Juan-Manuel Fantango, Aug 4, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    This event happens every year at the Bufford dam right? When is it scheduled for this year?

2. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I think I saw October 2 mentioned somewhere......

3. jeffdavison

jeffdavison F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2002
    Suwanee Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Davison
    Oct 2nd, with an Oct 3 rain date. This year it will be held at Kurts in Duluth.
    Park Rangers and Resource Management seem to be less and less cooperative each year. So this year my club, FLU (Fiat Lancia Unlimited) has negotiated with Kurt. He will be doing the onsite meals/catering.
    Jeff Davison

4. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    Jeff: If you'd like to get me some detailed info in the next couple of days (we're coming up on the editor's deadline) I'll get a notice put into the FCA NewsBulletin and into our calendar on the FCA SE website. Thanks for helping to organize this!

Mike

5. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    If the same number of cars show up at Kurts as showed up last year at the lake.... you will have cars parked in the field along the driveway and still not have any room for non-show cars to park. I would suggest planning some sort of shuttle service to get spectators to park in the office park down the street and try to have some well organized traffic control to assist all show participants in finding the correct spots. Pre-registration and reserved spots is also a good idea.

Kurts is a really fun place and I love the food... but space is not his high point. The venue at the lake has double the parking space and it was filled beyond capacity last year. Some late arrivers left due to no parking within the show area.

Just my thoughts....

Terry

6. 308GTS

308GTS Formula 3

Dec 27, 2001
    TN
    Wow. I didn't know that. I figured Kurt's would be larger. Why on earth would you rent a space that is smaller than what we used last year. We had to line F-cars up in a row in front of other parked cars. Last year was packed. I haven't seen Kurts so I wouldn't know what it looks like but I hope the coordinator has planned for this in some way. I even got there early last year and didn't have an actual space. Atlanta is huge so there must be an adequate place to hold an event. What happens when the fords and chevies have events down there? Even up here in TN we have local car shows that have over 300-400 cars and always have plenty of room.

7. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    While Kurt's has great food, it's lack of space will be a real problem if more than 100 cars or so show up. If its not too late, I suggest the location be reconsidered.

8. c2turbo.com

c2turbo.com Rookie

Jul 14, 2004
    how about Speed Lab in Roswell they would have enough room (it used to be a Sams club ) They host a ton of Events for car clubs

C2Turbo

9. 308GTS

308GTS Formula 3

Dec 27, 2001
    TN
    I second we look for another place. I am open to all suggestions.

10. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    I don't know anything about the event, but it seemed Flashback motorworks had a ton of room under the roof and outside. They may be too small, and industrial, but I bet they would very much be intersted in sponsoring something like that.

Here's another idea, a great place to have it, Chateau Elan, or why not Road Atlanta in the paddock area, and those who wanted to go on the track could do so in controlled parade laps, now that would be very, very cool, did so at the Ferrari Challenge in June.

11. 6.0 se

6.0 se F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 26, 2004
    Atlanta,ga. area
    Full Name:
    A.J.
    Chateau is an excellent suggestion. Plenty of room, food, beverage....etc..

12. sunburn

sunburn Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Dawsonville, GA
    Full Name:
    Rick R.
    If we can't do the lake I like the Chateau venue. Lots of room, food and rooms if anyone wants to stay over or come in early. Kurts is nice for a smaller event but if we get the same turnout that we had last year at the lake we'll have to stack the cars 3 high.

13. 6.0 se

6.0 se F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 26, 2004
    Atlanta,ga. area
    Full Name:
    A.J.
    So, who is setting it up? Who do we need to talk to? Who's in charge??lol

14. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    FYI, Chateau Elan was considered, but they want a BIG fee for using their lawn... unfortunately they don't see it as an event that's enough of a draw for them to allow use of their space for free or even at a reasonable cost... it would force the participant fees to go way up, and/or have to charge onlookers which also means keeping track of who goes in and out and restructuring how it's all managed, which we really don't want to do. Also, they wanted a guarantee of 200 meals at $26 per person (over $5,000) for lunch IN ADVANCE -- and that's absurd, especially when "Paddy's Pub" on their own property provides a sit-down lunch for half that... unless one of you guys wants to let them charge that advance against your Visa card! ;)

According to John Montgomery, who is the main organizer, we can get 150 or more cars at Kurt's because we'll have about 35% actually parked on the lawn, not on the paved parking lot. Kurt's paved lot will be used exclusively for Italian machinery. What makes it work is that the adjacent lots at next door businesses are closed on Saturday. They are available to use for any overflow we need including at least 150 spaces for visitors in non Italian cars.

15. 4re308

4re308 F1 Rookie

Jun 13, 2001
    Woodstock, GA
    Full Name:
    Mitch D
    Yes Mike is right! We will have plenty of room at Kurt's. John considered several other places as well, and none of them were as willing to help the cause as Kurt's. There we have great food, great beer, restrooms and lots of AC and shade. I forgot to mention the last car show I did there, we had 138 cars at Kurt's, parked perfectly comfortably.