Selling 348 Spider !!! | FerrariChat

Selling 348 Spider !!!

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by kenyon, Aug 25, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Should sell or Keep 348 Spider

1. Sell

2. Keep

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. kenyon

kenyon F1 Rookie

Oct 7, 2002
    East Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Justin Kenyon
    Guys,

I have been offered £40,000 pounds for my 348 Spider which is LHD. A buyer wants to buy my 348 Spider in the US. They are willing to send a Bankers Draft from the US. I can wait for the cheque to clear then transfer the money into another account to ensure it does not disappear. Then a shipping compamy will collect the car from my house for shipping to the US.

The problem is I love the car and finding another car like a Ferrari or even a Lambo will be hard.

Plus I do not know what to get next (model ferrari or lambo). I have £55,000 pounds cash to spend with selling of my car. My garage is only a single and I know a Tessa model or a Lambo will not fit due to width.

Should I keep it or sell it..... The offer is very good indeed because the is being sold the way it is, plus I keep my 18"'s wheels.

I need to make decision by end of the week.

2. forzarich

forzarich Karting

Nov 11, 2003
    Dorset, UK
    I presume you are aware of the scams around at the moment, have heard 'stories' (no first hand experience) of exporting of cars, admitedly this sounds more feasible but I heard that as soon as the money lands in your bank account, move it elsewhere...
    The rumour goes that the fake bankers drafts are discovered later and the funds recovered from you, leaving you with no money and no car...

A friend was contacted to export his Pajero EVO to Trinidad, luckily someone else bought the car...

Rich

3. jeffQV

jeffQV F1 Rookie

Feb 13, 2004
    NZ
    Full Name:
    jeff
    please be really careful! this may be a variation of the nigerian scam thats been going on for years. if the money actually hits your account wait at least a week before releasing the car. banks sometimes accept the payment so it looks like a credit and then it bounces the other end, particularly if the sending bank is located in one of the 'alternative' areas. IE Caymen Islands, Bermuda, even Gib or Isle of Man.

4. kenyon

kenyon F1 Rookie

Oct 7, 2002
    East Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Justin Kenyon
    I have spoken with my Bank. They said I should only except a Foreign Sterling Bankers Draft in sterling and that it should set up that they use a UK based clearing House. This Foreign Bankers Draft can then be cleared the next working by expressing it costing £10.

Once cleared the money will be withdrawn so not to allow anyone to touch it. I will take the cash.

5. Ade

Ade Formula 3

Jan 31, 2004
    UK
    its a top top price considering the relatively weakness of the dollar. It means they are paying $72,000 - which is a lot for an Euro import for them, $55-60K is probably more like it??

6. Steve_nero

Steve_nero Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    London
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I don't know about the scam issue but it sounds like you are doing all the right things to avoid any problems. I'd sell.

Weren't you looking for a 456 a while back?

7. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    72K is close enough a US number to bat around.

GBP ___ 40, 000.00
    Aug 25 X ____ 1.7984
    USD = __71,936.0018

Given your stated initial reluctance, how'd this come up? Out of the blue?

If circumstances are as aforementioned; May want to pass PM's amongst yourselves to play Sherlock on this potential buyer.

8. kenyon

kenyon F1 Rookie

Oct 7, 2002
    East Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Justin Kenyon
    I am not bothered about PM's. If the guy wants to buy for a Client, I have nothing to hide. The car is genuine and what I have said to him is true. I am not B***S***ing around.

I had a e-mail about the purchase earlier. It seemed to be scam. I mentioned it about a possible scam and have not heard since.

9. kenyon

kenyon F1 Rookie

Oct 7, 2002
    East Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Justin Kenyon
    I was looking at 456's but everyone a I see has got the window problem. I think maybe a LHD 550 is very nice. I love Ferraris and its been my dream to own a Ferrari since I was a boy.

The Lambo thing sounds nice because they are so rare, never see them about. The servicing on Diablo is not bad since they are chain driven. The clutch issue is not a problem. I Know someone that has got Diablo that has done 100,000 KM and still on the same clutch.

10. jeffQV

jeffQV F1 Rookie

Feb 13, 2004
    NZ
    Full Name:
    jeff
    [Once cleared the money will be withdrawn so not to allow anyone to touch it. I will take the cash.[/QUOTE]

I bank with Natwest IoM for some overseas work that I do. Spoke this morning and they say that if funds are transferred in, say Monday and I take the money out on Wednesay, should the funds then become null and void, then I suddenly have an unexpected overdraft, a week seems about right to allow for this. Better safe than sorry!

11. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Justin,
    this sounds like a scam.....be VERY careful, m8.If in doubt, do nothing.

12. 456mgt

456mgt Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2002
    Cambridge UK
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Have to say I agree with the other doubters here Justin. It doesn't sound right- top money, unfavourable exchange rate, and all the hassle to convert euro->US spec. If I was you I'd be asking our mates in the US to help check this one out.

13. Boxer 512

Boxer 512 Formula Junior
    BANNED

May 5, 2004
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Seb King
    Justin,

I agree with JeffQV regarding fund transfer. BTW.

As for the next model in your life, (so to speak), a logical progression would be a 355 Spyder, would it not ? Maybe even a serie Fiorano if you want something a bit special ? (if you can find one, I know of a couple for sale in the US) ?

Regards,

Seb

14. F328GTS

F328GTS Formula 3

Apr 27, 2004
    Cambridgeshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Nigel R
    This just has to be a scam. I have just re-read your original scam warning mail and it is just too "fishy" to be true. Don't do it!

15. kenyon

kenyon F1 Rookie

Oct 7, 2002
    East Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Justin Kenyon
    Guys,

I have know been told by the agent that he is Located in Los Angeles and the his Client that is buying it is a she and located in Ireland and will be paying from her account in Ireland.

16. kenyon

kenyon F1 Rookie

Oct 7, 2002
    East Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Justin Kenyon
    The agent is called Murphy Myers and has a autosales and purchasing firm located Los Angeles 23/24 hopeville avenue.

Actually guys I have a funny feeling about this all. The address name, no details about his firm. Him in the US and his client in Ireland.

I'll just see where it leads. Their seems to be a problem fro his cleint to obtain a Guaranteed 'Foreign United Kingdom Bankers Draft'.

She wants to send a normal bankers draft.

17. ferrari355gtb

ferrari355gtb Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    R
    Justin,

Think of it the other way around - would you give someone from half way around the world who you've never met a cheque (check !!) for $72k for a car you'd never seen ?

The guy buying it must be very trusting.

BUT if the money clears and it is all legit then go for it, you're not giving him your bank details are you ?

Rick

18. kenyon

kenyon F1 Rookie

Oct 7, 2002
    East Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Justin Kenyon
    I have pass no bank details on, my bank told me not to. His has my name and contact numbers.

I hope this is not IRA money.

19. polartech

polartech Karting

Mar 4, 2004
    East Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Geoff
    It all just sounds way too fishy. Has all this been via email or have you spoken to anyone? As Tony says, I`d be very careful here m8.

20. kenyon

kenyon F1 Rookie

Oct 7, 2002
    East Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Justin Kenyon
    All by e-mail.

Geoff, will your car be TUBIed for this weekend....

21. polartech

polartech Karting

Mar 4, 2004
    East Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Geoff
    I just came off the phone with manu, no the system won`t be with him till late friday so the car goes away tuesday morning now... bugger!

22. F328GTS

F328GTS Formula 3

Apr 27, 2004
    Cambridgeshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Nigel R

23. kenyon

kenyon F1 Rookie

Oct 7, 2002
    East Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Justin Kenyon
    Nigel, Thanks for that. Just the name Hopevilla, I think is a give away !!!
    Do you not think.

These buyers should be should be shop'ed to the Police or thing...

24. noony

noony F1 Veteran

Nov 25, 2003
    Seoul
    Full Name:
    Johnathan
    For £55k why not buy Steve's F512M?

EDIT-sorry you said you can't fit a TR in your garage.

In that case I would get a diablo because as long as it fits in then its ok because the doors go up???

25. felix66

felix66 Karting

Feb 21, 2004
    London
    Did his email look like this?

I get them everyday after he spotted my ad for my 355 I just sold.

IMHO: Its a scam. Don't part with any bank details at all either. Also - this guy has refered to himself variously as Murphy myers and murphy jones. Anyone with their own business acting as an agent to import cars is unlikely to be using a Yahoo free web email address.