Ferrari Long Distance Purchase? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Ferrari Long Distance Purchase?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by venusone, Aug 30, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ILuv4Res

ILuv4Res F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 8, 2002
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Even with so many responses indicating a good experience purchasing without seeing the car, I wouldn't ever do that. (Just my paranoid nature I guess)

If anyone here is contemplating the purchase of a car, there are certainly enough people on this board who live close to wherever the car is and are willing to take an eyeball look at the car (I would be happy to do this for anyone needing it). I had two cars looked at by fellow f-chatters, who saved me the time and trouble of going to look at cars that didn't meet my criteria (thanks guys!).

Then, a PPI comes next. Assuming the eyeball and PPI come back ok, when dealing with so much $$, a plane ticket is cheap insurance for peace of mind. Additionally, you will know of any blemishes BEFORE the car is shipped.

2. Exoticbro

Exoticbro Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    St.Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Chuck Ligon
    Buying a Ferrari is a daunting experience even if you can see and feel it.(and drive it)
    That is why it is difficult for a private seller to find a buyer.

Iluv4res advice is good, find someone close and have them look at the car if possible, next get a PPI at a reputable shop, keep in mind they will point out all the faults no matter how small.
    Some buyers will next want to see the car or may decide not to, depending on their comfort level.

Venusone, Don't second yourself.

3. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    I bought my car sight unseen from 1700 miles away, and had a PPI done by a not-quite 3rd party. There were some things I was disappointed with when all was said and done, but looking back, I did pretty well.

4. Chiaroman

Chiaroman Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 21, 2004
    New Jersey
    I bought my 308 after an inspection and it was 550 miles away. Also bought a SL 500 after an inspection and a quick look.

OF COURSE...there were maintenance issues after each purchase (did I say expensive!) but that comes with the territory.

You WILL enjoy the car, it will be expensive but it most definitly is worth it!!!

5. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    I'm sure there are stories going both ways on this issue. I've heard plenty of people say they bought a car at a distance and the deal worked out perfectly. I've known others who did it and the car came with lots of problems that weren't apparent from the "pictures" that were provided.

Having the car inspected by a reputable mechanic and also checked out by a trusted pair of eyes are good insurance, but there is nothing like seeing the car yourself.

That said, have you gotten the car yet, Karen? How is it? What is it? When can we see the pics?

Regards,
    Steve W.

6. CarStore

CarStore Karting

Sep 19, 2003
    Hi Karen:

Here are some thoughts from the other side. I am a dealer (and FerrariChat sponsor) who sells the majority of our cars sight unseen. Most through listings on eBay (user name car-store). If you bought this car from an established dealer (not a broker) you can be assured that the car is as represented. The Ferrari market is very small and bad news travels fast. It would be suicidal for a dealer to misrepresent the car unless he is planning to go out of business (at least under the existing name). Thats why you need to verify that dealer is well established (a showroom, not a backyard garage), owns the car (insist on seeing car title in dealers name, not an individual name) and licensed (request copy of state license).
    There are more self proclaimed dealers out there then actual licensed dealers. Be sure to find out what yours is.
    Although eBay gets a lot of bad chat in this community, it is a great source for reviewing a dealers feedback. If he is not at 100% positive or virtually there (99%, 98%), then move on.
    Feel free to contact me directly if I can help.

Tom Mellett
    www.CarStoreOfGlenside.com

7. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    Karen,

I'm a very bad influence!

I bought both of my 328's sight unseen and without a PPI. Fortunately, luck has been on my side. The first one was actually bought through a dealer that I had purchased a few cars from before and I trust him to no end. The car I have now was bought from a dealer that I wasn't familiar with and I haven't had any major problems. It wasn't exactly as the salesman described it and I have found a few things that he wasn't completely honest about but it could have been much worse! Now the car is near perfect so I'm happy.

Would I do it all again?

Yes and no. I would have no problem buying any car sight unseen from the first dealer that I mentioned (Holt Motorsports) because the owner Tim has proven to be very straight and honest. Every car I've ever bought from him has been exactly as it was promised. That said, I wouldn't buy a car again sight unseen from a dealer that I don't know without a PPI and some sort of guarantee.

8. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I have bought a 1986 TR, a 1967 330GTC and a 1994 348 Spider all sight unseen, although I did have PPI performed on them all. The only one I had any problem with was the 348 which turned out to have a leaking cam seal. The selling dealer did reimburse me $3500 to have the cam seal changed, which I never did before selling it a couple of years later.

9. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    My experiences echo those of many here.

I have bought perhaps 50 cars over the past 20 years without seeing them except in photos. A few times there have been some minor issues, but never anything blatantly undisclosed. I have never had a dispute that was not easily resolved.

I have also sold a good number of cars to people where they did not see them before paying and having me ship the car to them. None of those deals had any problems either.

As has been said.... as long as you get a good PPI done by an reputable shop and have them go into great detail, dont worry about it.

I bought my '77 308GTB off ebay. Before bidding the seller agreed to have the purchase contingent on a PPI. After the PPI, I negotiated $750 off the agreed price due to some minor issues. I wired him the money and had a truck pickup the car a week later. IT arrived exactly as the PPI described.... everybody was happy. No big deal.

So.... dont worry about it. Be sensible, make sure the seller has clear title and send it to you before payment, then send payment and have the car shipped.

Terry

10. normhuff

normhuff Formula Junior

Dec 14, 2003
    Peoria, IL
    Full Name:
    J. Norman Huff, Esq.
    To me personally this scenario would be similar to standing at the altar on your wedding day, saying the 'I dos', and then lifting the wedding veil of your bride to meet her for the very first time. I consider car buying a personal bonding experience that has to be performed with all the senses. Only then do I know if something's right for me. After that the love affair lasts until death do us part. I've only owned six cars in 30 years. Two died. I still have four. So take my opinion FWIW...

11. PCH

PCH F1 Rookie

Apr 7, 2004
    Have the car properly checked by a third party. After you get the OK do yourself a favor and buy a plane ticket.