Impreza Vs 360 (and the Imp won!!) | FerrariChat

Impreza Vs 360 (and the Imp won!!)

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by cefski, Sep 5, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cefski

cefski Rookie

Sep 5, 2004
    Caernarfon, n Wales
    Full Name:
    Kevin Thomas
    Did it bo!!ox.

Hi chaps. I gather this is a Ferrari owners forum. Since I don't own one (though I'd dearly love to), I hope you'll pardon the intrusion and allow me to ramble on for a bit about an experience I had yesterday.

Went for a spin through the north Wales mountains yesterday afternoon, taking in some brilliant roads - Llanberis pass, to Betws y coed, down the A5 to the interesting bits of The Evo Triangle, Bala, back road to Ffestiniog, Oakley Arms to Beddgelert, up Nant Gwynant to Capel Currig, then A5 towards Bangor.

On the last section of the A5 through the Ogwen Valley, I spotted a red 360 up ahead in a long line of slow moving traffic. If you don't know this section of the A5, there are three or four really good overtaking spots where you can see well into the distance before you get to the narrow, twisty bits. So I thought I could easily catch up with him.

Could I hell. Couldn't even see which way he went he was going so quickly, only glimpses of something low and red getting further and further away from me confirmed that he was on the same road.

He was eventually held up by an old camper van on the outskirts of a 30 zone. Could never have caught up with him otherwise.

He caned it again peeling off the A5 at a roundabout and onto the A55 towards Anglesey. Again, I had trouble seeing which way he went. Seriously quick car and puts cars like mine well in their place.

Followed him round Bangor for a bit, in the hope that he'd pull over, giving me the chance to beg for a p-ride, but he headed out of town and back onto the 55.

I toddled off home before I lost all faith in the Imp and the 360's driver thought I was stalking him :D

On the off-chance that the bloke driving 64 DR yesterday afternoon reads this forum, hats off. Something tells me he was local to the n Wales area, or at least very frequent visitor.

Now, where's that lotto ticket.......

Cheers

Kev

2. ferrari355gtb

ferrari355gtb Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    R
    Invest in a bike instead ..... the A643 from Croft today full of bikes and one guy went past me like I wasn't there, tried giving chase for a few corners but he disappeared off into the distance never to be seen again.

If by any extremely remote chance you're reading this ... hats off to you because getting your knee down on all of those corners was spectacular to watch (from behind !!)

Rick (Red 355)

3. 360CS

360CS F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Kent
    Full Name:
    Joe J
    I had a graet blast with an R1 today prob the 1st time ive felt the cars true potential....I can say that i was as impressed as the guy on the bike who stopped at the lights to say that it was a betta sound than the 700quid exhaust upgrade he had just had fiteed and that the acceleration was equally wicked :).

Im still grinning ear 2 ear...

4. andrewg

andrewg F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2002
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    AndrewG
    Obviously, you both had your speed camera detectors on full! its rare for a performance car to get out of north wales without 3 points and £60

5. cefski

cefski Rookie

Sep 5, 2004
    Caernarfon, n Wales
    Full Name:
    Kevin Thomas
    I did. Don't know about him, though.

I live in north wales and have been hooning about for the past 15 years or so. Licence is spotless [frantically looks for some wood to touch] :D

kev

6. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    There is a Jap import garage in my town that sells Imprezas, trouble is all jap imports are limited to 112mph unless derestricted, My 300zx needed to be unrestricted to realise its full top end.So the theory is even a 308 could two slaughter a Imp.LOL!

7. cefski

cefski Rookie

Sep 5, 2004
    Caernarfon, n Wales
    Full Name:
    Kevin Thomas
    :D

Mine's an end of line classic UK model, so no faffing about with restrictors. It's lightly modded to produce somewhere in the region of 250bhp and a similar torque figure. Also, the geometry's been fettled to suit north Welsh roads perfectly.

I've come up against all sorts of 'performance' cars on these roads of ours and more often than not, I've managed to get the better of them. A combination of local knowledge, experience and a properly (albeit sensibly) set-up turbo'd Japanese 4WD car, I suppose. But my experience with 64 DR on Saturday just puts everything into perspective.

David Lapworth (Prodrive guru) once said that an average driver in an Impreza could easily match a well driven Ferrari, Lambo, Porker etc, on the types of road that I usually frequent. Well, David, you're talking bo!!ocks. On the first chance I got to test my (and the car's) ability against a genuine performance icon, it became slap-in-the-face obvious that we were in completely different leagues.

I've loved Ferrari since I bought my first pack of Top Trumps all those years ago, so finding out that David Lapworth and the general population of Scoobynet are talking out of their ar$£s was hugely (and genuinely) reassuring.

Kev

8. forzarich

forzarich Karting

Nov 11, 2003
    Dorset, UK
    Chaa - I very much doubt you'll find any Scoob still limited to 112! LOL

>the general population of Scoobynet are talking out of their ar$£s
    Oh my god, someone else has seen the light!!!

:D

(mutterings from SN - we'd have em in the twisties blah blah blah)

Rich
    Ex STiv4 and Red 360F1 owner...

9. Robertb

Robertb Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    South Oxfordshire, U
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I was overtaken in my 355 by a middle-aged lady in a Rover 800!

I was doing 30 through a village at the time...

Moral? If you drive like an arse, you could probably overtake anything at some point, regardless of whether you are driving a slower car!

Robert