Boxster coupe | FerrariChat

Boxster coupe

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by Fan512bbi, Sep 7, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Fan512bbi

Fan512bbi Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
    Here are a few spy pics of the new Boxster coupe.

2. TSMIV

TSMIV Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2004
    Columbus, MS
    Full Name:
    Robert Goodman
    Nice. Now all they have to do is change the model designation from 986 to 912 type 986.

3. aawil

aawil Formula 3

Aug 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Those pics have been around for a little while now. But I like the look of it alot better than the 911. Then again I was never a fan of the 911.

4. Skyjacked97ZJ

Skyjacked97ZJ Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    Gastonia, NC
    Full Name:
    Will Moose
    Sign me up! Ive always loved the boxter and I damn near bought a 01 Boxter S awhile back, but Id definitely pick one of these up.

5. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    If it has more headroom than that midget car Boxter convertible. I may be in for one.....

6. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    It looks like an Italian interpretation of a 911 IMHO.

7. Mojo

Mojo Formula 3

Sep 24, 2002
    Washington St.
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    Thats going to be a great looking car, I might have to start saving for one.

8. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Why buy a 911 then??

9. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Seeing those photos reminds me more of the VW Karmann Ghia. I'd like to see it make an updated comeback.

10. blu328gts

blu328gts Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 26, 2004
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    //Rick
    But they gotta do something about swapping that Kohler towel bar on the back end that someone had left over from their bathroom remodel job...

11. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    #11 tonyh, Sep 8, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    FROM RENNTEAM----------------------------------------------------------

Stuttgart. Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG, Stuttgart, will launch the new Boxster on 27 November 2004. The 2.7 litre six-cylinder engine will then have 176 kW (240 HP), 8 kW (12 HP) more than previously. The performance of the Boxster S, which will be launched simultaneously, has also been increased from 191 kW (260 HP) to 206 kW (280 HP), while cubic capacity has remained unchanged at 3.2 litres. The Boxster needs only 6.2 seconds to spurt from 0 km/h to 100 km/h, while the Boxster S manages this in 5.5 seconds. The basic model clocks up 256 km/h and consumes 9.6 litres Super Plus, in line with the EU standard. The maximum speed of the S variant is 268 km/h, while average consumption is 10.4 litres (EU standard).

The Boxster intends to extend its leading position in the roadster segment, by offering even greater driving pleasure while providing more active and passive safety. Larger wheels and a wider wheel alignment clearly emphasise the further development of the body form. At the same time they symbolise the increase in performance of the two models. The new front clearly shows the relationship with the 911 series but still features the typical Boxster face. The new lighting concept with the separation of main headlamps and front lamps with integrated fog lamps is characteristic of this.

When viewed from the side, the larger air vents before the rear axle, the bold door sills, the larger window in the transition from the B-pillar to the roof and the newly designed, larger rims are dominant. The 2.7 litre version now has 17-inch wheels as standard, while the Boxster S features 18-inch wheels.

In the new Boxster power is transmitted by a revised five-speed manual transmission and by a new transmission box with six gears in the S model. The gearshift had been revised for both transmission variants so that shift travel is now considerably shorter. Both vehicles can optionally be equipped with a five-speed Tiptronic S transmission. Boxster is the first roadster in the world to secure passengers against lateral impact using head airbags. In combination with a thorax airbag, which is concealed on the outer side of the backrest, the airbag shoots out from the side window rail of the door and provides a very high level of protection for the head.

The basic price is EUR 37,000 for the Boxster and EUR 44,100 for the Boxster S. In Germany, prices (including VAT and country-specific requirements) are EUR 43,068 for the Boxster and EUR 51,304 for the Boxster S. Adjusted for fittings, the new models are offered nine percent (Boxster) and six percent (Boxster S) cheaper on the euro markets compared to the previous generation. In the USA, the price for the Boxster is USD 43,800 and USD 53,100 for the Boxster S (excl. tax). The models will be launched on the US American market on 15 January 2005.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. Fan512bbi

BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
    Good point, this car is closer in spirit to the early 911's than the modern 911 is, why pay all that extra when you have all you want here?

13. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    I made the mistake of buying a Boxster S after having had 5 previous 911's. It's not IMO a 911 rival at all. What it is 'tho is a VERY good , reasonably cheap sports car. In it's market vs MB SLR, BMW Z4, S2000 i think it's the car to beat.

14. Mickey

Mickey Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2004
    Linnet Drive
    Full Name:
    Mike
    You meant MB "SLK" ?!

15. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    OOPS! Typo ;)

16. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I think it looks great - although I'll admit I'm shocked by the abundant use of 997 parts! I mean, I know that the current Boxster is like 40% 996 bits, but I'm surprised they are continuing to produce so similar looking $45k and $85k cars.

I like the head airbag idea - on many of these little cars if you're 6ft or more your head hovers next to the pillar... I have bad thoughts of a side hit swinging my head into a pillar and crushing my skull.

17. Fan512bbi

BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
    Sorry Tony, what i meant was the original 911's late 60's early 70's, i believe you owned the later model 911's, the boxster has nothing in common with the new versions, IMO the latest 911's are no longer sports cars but more GT cars.

18. bob348

bob348 Formula 3

Apr 13, 2004
    Liege, Belgium
    Full Name:
    Geoffrey
    rear window looks like chrysler crossfire...

19. netviper

netviper Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Saint Augustine
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I thought the idea behind the new Boxster was to make it look less like a 911. To me it looks closer than ever.

Anyway, I like the interior a lot more than the current boxster.

20. Stackhouse

Stackhouse F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 14, 2004
    IN YOUR TRUNK
    Full Name:
    CT.. AKA Pimp Daddy
    Cant wait for Porsche to go retro…oh wait BWAHHH HA HA HA!!! How can you if your styling hasn’t seen any changes since the last Blitzkrieg!! Errr I just see a VW!!

Ok before you Flame me P-Fans! I have to admit that I have never driven nor do I plan to drive (With exception to the CGT) any sub-super-car-Porsche for fear that I will end up buying the D@mn thing! (Aesthetics aside, I would purchase solely on reliability and performance)

Now Begin The FLAME JOB!!! BRING IT ON!!! VW… ERRRR… I MEAN PORSCHE LOVERS!!

PD ;)

21. Fan512bbi

BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
    The only reason you would not buy a Porsche is because your fat girlfriend would not fit in it.

22. Forzaholics Anonymous

Forzaholics Anonymous Formula Junior

Aug 23, 2004
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mike B
    Oh i don't know about that. Take out both the driver & passenger seat & drop in a piece of plywood with some carpet stapled to it & add the neccessary suspension upgrades and I think Pebbles would look very sporting in a Boxster. Yeah, that's it. Pebbles gets a Boxster! :D :D :D :D

23. Fan512bbi

BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.