328 Intermittent Missing | Page 2 | FerrariChat

328 Intermittent Missing

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Tampa328, Jul 5, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Dear Ferraristi,

Tampa328, Try Central Florida Ferrari. I bought my extenders from them when I had a 308 ( 91 TR now ) . Doug is the parts manager, he will help you out. I have a home in Lakeland....so I'm in your neck-of-the-woods.

I did have the exact same problem as you. For me it was definately the extenders. Look for a tiny and I do mean tiny pin-hole. That was enough to throw things out.

Shamile

2. Tampa328

Tampa328 Karting

May 10, 2004
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Randy Stribling
    Hoo wah, I put in the new spark plug extenders I received from Sodacoms yesterday. Now it hums smooth as silk again. One of the extenders on the back four (firewall side) had black arc marks all over one side where the plug clip was the closest to the wall. Apparently it was arcing through to the sparkplug well causing it to miss. Our humidity here in Tampa probably contributed to it.

Anyway it was a real hoot riding around with the top removed last night, great weather, nice breeze and a red Fcar running smoothly again! Thanks everyone for your thoughts and suggestions.

Too bad I never see anyone else venturing out on the road. Tampa anyone?

Randy

3. Cenzzo

Cenzzo Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    I noticed this thread and had to pass along two experiences, one good and one bad. I had the same type of occasional miss in my 87 328 GTS - sometimes while cruising, it would would just seem to cut out a bit, and then come back kind of thing. I had a belt service done, and had some Bosch 7700's I think they were, XR4CS, put in, they were about $8 each, instead of the stock Champions, at about $28 apiece. I got the recommendation for them somewhere on this site as plugs that you could use to save a few bucks over the Champions. I ran it by he Ferrari mechanic who said they'd work fine. Well, belt service done, valves adjusted, cruising down the road, after about 100 miles, started to miss, then loud popping - stopped, and had it towed back. Turned out these resistor plugs were resisting so well, that they were shorting out through the plug extenders right to the block, causing the miss. We replaced the plugs with the stock Champions, and replaced the plug extenders, and no problem. That occasional miss or lack of power was still there, though. The mechanic recommended a fuel additive to clean the system - I had never used anything like that in the three years I had it.
    I thought that that was a weak recommendation, but I put a can of K-44 in the tank - and it cleared up immediately. Power was smooth, noticeable improvement in acceleration. Strange but true. Sometimes the simplest answer works rather than looking for the most expensive. For what it's worth .