Warantees and Idependents | FerrariChat

Warantees and Idependents

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by 355fiorano, Oct 5, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 355fiorano

355fiorano Formula Junior

Oct 21, 2003
    London
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Having done a few track days my pads gave up the ghost at the end of Donnington last week, I had to bring the car back on the handbrake to avoid the spine tingling grinding noise when I pressed the brake pedal.

My question is this. I have the Power+ warrantee so I need to be servicing the car at the dealerships. What if I change the pads at an independent? Does anyone know if this will this potentially invalidate the warrantee. The price DIFFERENCDE is £300 between the two quotes!!! Also, as a second question, what if I change the discs at an independent (with standard Ferrari discs, not aftermarket items). Would this be any different?

Any input is much appreciated

Cheers
    Philip

2. rviant

rviant Karting

Jan 22, 2004
    Bedfordshire
    Full Name:
    Richard
    The power warranty states you must service the car at authorised dealers.. But how are they to know you have changed the disks/pads if you use genuine parts. Save the money and get it done at an independent.

Just my 2 p's worth

3. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Let's hope your dealer does not read FChat, Phil ....

4. stevep

stevep F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    Geordie Land
    Full Name:
    steve
    some mark the parts so they know that the work hasn't been tampered with

5. frostie

frostie Rookie

Nov 8, 2002
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Frost
    Surely brake pads like tyres are a wear and tear item and therefore do not have any warranty implications.

Frostie

6. paul360m

paul360m Karting

Jan 8, 2004
    Nr Heathrow
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I agree with Frostie - cant believe that changing pads (even doing it yourself) would invalidate the warranty.

Surely its only applicable for full servicing situations - BUT best to read the small print of what is basically an insurance document as these sort of things can bite you in the arse.

Cheers

paul

7. 355fiorano

355fiorano Formula Junior

Oct 21, 2003
    London
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Thanks for the replies. I think I would probably stick to the main dealer route. I spent £2k on the warranttee and I would feel like a right plonker if something big happened and I have shell out because I skimped on a few hundred quid.

Cheers
    Philip

8. murph7355

murph7355 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2002
    SE England Yorkie
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Why not have a word with your dealer about the markup on something a 12yr old can do?

Or phone a few other dealers. Some are getting a bit more savvy about not losing business to independents on easy stuff.

As an e.g., one main dealer sorted out a set of tyres for mine. The initial quote was barmy, until I noted I could get them done else where for 25% less.

They dropped within 2% of the quote so it was a no brainer (as the car was in being serviced).

If you don't ask, you don't get.

FWIW, if they wouldn't budge on price I'd get the pads sorted elsewhere. Discs too probably. They are "consumables". Spend the 300 quid you save on a lawyer if your engine blows and they say they won't sort it because you changed the pads!

9. Robertb

Robertb Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    South Oxfordshire, U
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I had a look at the T&Cs of my Ferrari Formula 1 warranty the other day, and I cannot see what actually is covered. Just about everything that typically goes wrong with a 355 is specifically excluded.

Robert.