My story on L-T/F-T | FerrariChat

My story on L-T/F-T

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Jay, Oct 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jay

Jay Karting

Nov 13, 2003
    Charlotte
    Full Name:
    Jay
    First of all I want to say that I have talked to Rob and he has encouraged me to post this here. Thanks Rob :)

Second for those who may not know me, my name is Jay. For the past year I have been the web master at LT & FT. These two sites were started by a now infamous ex-member of f-chat named JRV (search the archives for background).

I first heard of the sites through a post jrv had made to the lambo mailing list. I did not yet know about F-Chat or of all the turmoil and reasons for these new sites. When I first joined as a member of LT the site was completely bare. Very ugly. So Being the computer type, I volunteered to make a banner and spruce the place up a bit. I talked with jrv some and my initial impression was that he was a good guy. So I got more involved in the sites and created an entire new look for both.

Along the way I picked up various tidbits of info about F-Chat through jrv and AllanLambo (a strong supporter of these new sites). I admit that I fell right into all of the BS about Rob and F-Chat and have even made some disparaging remarks about them myself. Looking back with perfect hindsight, that was a mistake. Several people had told me about their dealings with jrv and warned me not to get involved. But by then I had already completed the first site design and since I'm normally a good natured person I gave him the benefit of the doubt. After all, up to this point he had been very nice to me.

So over the course of several months there seemed like a fairly steady stream of people who would come and go from L-T. Some just disappeared, When other more popular people left, jrv always had an excuse such as 'they had an agenda against L-T'. To tell the truth I never payed much attention to it all. I hate politics and try my best to avoid it as best I can. So I soldiered on and over the last 3 months I created an all new site for L-T. It really is an awesome piece of work (if I do say so myself). Despite all that has happened I am still very proud of my work there.

All of a sudden last week, out of nowhere, I start receiving a series of emails from jrv attacking me and accusing me of all kinds of stupid nonsense. I still have no idea where this all came from for sure. One thing is certain though, he turned on me at the drop of a hat. He kept on attacking and questioning me and my loyalty to L-T. We had an 8 page discussion in the moderator's forum trying to convince him he was wrong. But jrv being the person that he is could not let it go. So in the end myself and two other mods left the site. He has already started posting his lies about me. That's ok, I knew that was coming. In my opinion he needs professional help because it's only a matter of time before someone else gets a knife in the back. I would strongly encourage everyone to know what your doing and be careful before having any dealing with him. In my opinion He is not stable.

Well there it is. I feel better now that the truth is out there. Thanks again Rob.

2. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Jay, as I said in private I know this is a tough time for you. You have worked very hard on the design and operation of those sites only for your "number to come up" as it has for anyone else that has been closely involved with JRV. It's only a matter of time.

So where is the list at now with JRV? ...Ferrari of Houston, Lamborghini of Dallas, Ferrari Club of America, Texas World Speedway, Porsche Club of America, former employees (Will), former customers, former moderators (AJ & AllanLambo), and now his right hand man and webmaster.

Jay, don't let it bother you. Doesn't bother me that I'm on his list, we're in great company and there is only one common element... JRV himself. The time bomb is always ticking.

Jay, we would love for you to get involved with FerrariChat.com and maybe I can convince you to offer some site technical help too.

Thanks for sharing.

3. jonathanp

jonathanp Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jonathan Peck
    Welcome to the site Jay, I for one am glad you made the switch. For what I could tell, it seemed like you were always willing to help the members of the board very much like AJ was.

F-chat is now just one more bar ahead of any other forum out there for your involvment.

4. kevfla

kevfla Formula 3

Nov 20, 2003
    Full Name:
    gone 4 good
    It would help in understanding the situation if you would explain what "L-T/F-T" stands for. I'm not familiar with that abbreviation. Thanks.

KevFla

5. Jay

Jay Karting

Nov 13, 2003
    Charlotte
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Thanks Jonathan. I always tried to do my best to help anyone that asked. I made a number of good friends there and will keep in touch with many of them.

Looking forward to life on the outside :)

6. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

*********************, ***************** As usual water always finds its level ;)

7. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

OH, I forgot, Lambo-talk.com and F-talk.com......

8. Jay

Jay Karting

Nov 13, 2003
    Charlotte
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Thanks for the support Rob. It's bothering me less and less as the day goes on. Maybe I'm just getting tired LOL!
    I gotta tell you that 'under his influence' I had this place all wrong :)

9. xs10shl

xs10shl Formula 3

Dec 17, 2003
    San Francisco
    I'm a frequenter of L-T, and I give kudos to Jay for the site redesign (and whomever else who might have helped). I'm not privy to the politics of the site, so I don't really know the details of the blowup. But I'm sorry it had to come to this.

I'll also say that I've gotten perhaps a little more out of interacting with JRV I have out of the other moderators, because JRV and I both own Miuras and share a passion for them. Most moderators who have left L-T seem to be more inclined towards promoting the newer cars, which I can fully understand- there's just more general interest in them.

But I still feel that L-T is my best shot at developing some kind of public knowledgebase and discussion for the "Ferruccio" cars, because the moderators at L-P and Lchat are focused on the newer cars.

10. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Hi Jay,
    First of all, I would like to compliment you on the job you did building the format for L a mborghini-Talk.

Like you I am not one to get heavily involved in politics but I do look and listen to what is going on around me. A lot to learn from others.

Aside from Rob you are the first person in my recent memory that has expressed these thoughts about JRV. What's worse, it appears you still don't know why things fell apart. Personally that in itself would drive me nuts.

Either way, welcome to the site. There are many good folks here, mostly well behaved, many full of mischief, the usual pot strirrers, walking encyclopedias and ubiquitous comics.

Enjoy,
    DJ

11. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Can't post the links on this site. Basically before Jay got involved with those sites, JRV started a Ferrari site that was an exact duplicate of FerrariChat.com. The software I used over a year ago was very rare, but he still used the same software and had an almost exact design. What finally got me upset was him trying to bad mouth me and FC while recruiting our users. I had spent tens of thousands building our user base and I wasn't going to let him take it for free. F-T was the Ferrari site and L-T was a site he started later for Lamborghinis. Even after all he as tried, F-T is less active and has less users than FerrariChat.com did back in early 2001 when we had started from scratch with an original idea. Yes, Maranelloman needs to put a JRV GOT OWNED image up now. :)

12. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I'm jealous of both you and JRV, the Miura is by far my favorite Lamborghini. One of the best looking cars ever!

13. kevfla

kevfla Formula 3

Nov 20, 2003
    Full Name:
    gone 4 good
    Thanks Rob & SurfCity for the clarification. I went from FerrariList to FerrariChat. Didn't know of FerrariTalk. Just as well!

KevFla

14. Travis Parker

Travis Parker Karting

Jul 10, 2004
    Enterprise, AL
    Full Name:
    Travis Parker
    Jay -
    Welcome here -
    obviously, I'm not a big poster here, but I DO like the 'change of pace' here - just different - I'm mostly in the Lambo section, as are several people I have met at L/T - but I do peek in at the F part, as I still like several of their cars, and it has been very interesting.
    Two threads I'd point out are the one where the guy went cross country, broke down in a small town, met GREAT people & let the mechanic drive his car!! Also the "You've been Pimped" thread is hilarious!!
    You're a super talented & super hard working & super nice guy - I hope the best for you !!!
    God Bless -

TRAVIS

15. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Ditto, especially the SV

16. xs10shl

xs10shl Formula 3

Dec 17, 2003
    San Francisco
    I agree! Unfortunately, it is somewhat of an orphaned car, so owning one is a real labor of love.

BTW - I think I counted about 6 online Miura owners between all the online sites, ergo my frustration in trying to start any sort of dialogue. Dunno where the other 700 owners are hanging out!

P.S. I didn't know about the F-T user recruiting issue. That certainly helps put things into perspective.

17. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
  18. Jay

Jay Karting

Nov 13, 2003
    Charlotte
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Thanks Spasso. I'll read those links when I have some time.

19. RAYMAN

RAYMAN Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 10, 2004
    Oklahoma
    Full Name:
    Raymond Santilli
    If I may interject...And I don't mean to hijack this thred, I am one of the moderators who followed Jay out. I had created a members wall calendar that I was very proud of, the day after jr received them all this hit the fan, needless to say, I am also out all of my work, which I funded with my personal money. Now jr has a killer site and 150 wall calendar's to sell, He made no attempt to salvage me from the reckage, so I have to assume jr's agenda is to get what he can from people and then turn on them. We moderators are very upset and hurt over the whole fiasco.

20. Jay

Jay Karting

Nov 13, 2003
    Charlotte
    Full Name:
    Jay
    I feel for you Ray. From what I saw the calendars turned out awesome. You did a great job. I'm out several hundred dollars as well. I piad for a couple of software components out of my own pocket.

21. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    i don't know JRV, i just know OF him... i also know that, somehow, my name has found its way into his mouth... i know he'll read this or one of his friends will read this, so: JRV; keep my name out of your mouth.

Jay, welcome to FerrariChat - you're not going to be offended if some of us are skeptical of your sudden arrival, are you...?

22. Jay

Jay Karting

Nov 13, 2003
    Charlotte
    Full Name:
    Jay
    No. Read this thread and jr's BS and make up your own mind :)
    www. lamborghini - talk .com/vbforum/showthread.php?t=457

23. maranelloman

maranelloman Guest

Jay, welcome. Vallandingham is probably the most unbalanced, wacko, malevolent, bipolar, venal c o cksmoker I have ever encountered. You are lucky to be far away from him...

Rob, sorry, but I deleted that image long ago.

24. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON
    HOW DO YOU SAY THERE, JERKY

WELCOME JAY...........PROBLEMS WITH JRV.SEND HIM TO NEW JOISEY

WE WILL TAKE CARE OF HIM WITH PISS-CLAMS AND EYEGLASSES.....

REGARDS...........

BRUCE

25. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Bruce,

Your signature and NNO's post speak volumes.

DL