Exhaust question | FerrariChat

Exhaust question

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Oengus, Oct 12, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

2. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Since you're putting an aftermarket exhaust on your car, you are obviously not interested in formal concours or keeping your car original. A high dollar Tubi will get you the same points deduction as a pair of $20 glass packs. That being the case, why spend big bucks on an aftermarket system when for less than a hundred bucks you can buy two Cherry Bomb glass packs and have a local muffler shop with a mandrel bender connect them up and have an exhaust that sounds better than a Tubi for a fraction of the cost.

3. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ

parkerfe,

I was actually going to have the above mentioned fab shop make me the correct dual outlets and then have my local fab shop connect all the bits. (glass packs or whatever) I cant find any tips that will fit properly under my car, everything is in the 10" to 12" length. I need something about 7" to 8" in order to look right. The shop above can make them for me..................I cant beleive nobody State side can make them.

4. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    You can find tips from a lot of manufactors. See the ones on this technical section under "flowmasters on an 87 TR". Or you could buy the 10-12 inch ones and have them cut shorter.

5. Ferrari Mackintosh

Ferrari Mackintosh Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2004
    N/A
    Full Name:
    Ferrari Enthiusiast
    Ive having an exhaust from www.stainless-exhaust.com fitted on my 512TR next week. I asked them to tailor it to my taste i.e. bassy, loud, 3" tailpipes - all for £987.00. Not bad eh? As for their reputation it is impeccable. A lot of the Ferrari Owners Club UK members are using this brand of exhaust for their cars, all very happy. The guy who runs this club recommended them to me. If u want I'll make a sound sample and post it on this forum when it's installed. U are guaranteed the usual increase in horsepower etc. On top of that this company has 25 yaers experience in the field.

6. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    987.00 is well over $1,000 in USD! While that may ne "not bad" compared to what the ripe-off OEM and Tubi cost, it is still too high when you consider it is just a muffler. You can buy high quality mufflers for well less than $100 that will work just fine on a Ferrari.

7. Ferrari Mackintosh

Sep 21, 2004
    N/A
    Full Name:
    Ferrari Enthiusiast
    No, it's £987.00 for a complete exhaust system, everything included.

8. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    headers too?

9. Ferrari Mackintosh

Sep 21, 2004
    N/A
    Full Name:
    Ferrari Enthiusiast
    Absolutely everything but the cats or cat replacement pipes

10. Dale

Dale F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2003
    uk
    Full Name:
    Dale Juan
    Charels these guys made me a pair of exhaust manifolds for a v6 cosworth engine had no problems welding was good and nice bunch of chaps,
    I paid £750 for the pair and these were on off's he'd never done before and they fitted in the space i required,

Dale.

11. AR!

AR! Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2004
    Berlin, Germany
    I´ve followed the posts concerning this "Cherry Bomb glass packs" but my English isn´t sufficient to figure, what exactly it might be. Does anyone have a weblink showing a picture of this mysterious objects? :)

12. AFire

AFire Karting

Jun 1, 2004
    Hallo AR!,

mal kurz in Deutsch: Cherry bombs sind einfache runde Dämpfer, etwa 10cm im Durchmesser, die Anschlüsse in der Regel für Anlagen von AmiV8Motoren. Gefüllt (nur Aussenwand) sind sie mit Glaswolle die sich nach geraumer Zeit auflöst bzw. einfach rausgepustet wird. Sonst gibt es keine "Innereien". Resultat: richtig gut laut.
    Website kenne ich auf die Schnelle keine.

Grüße

AFire

13. AR!

AR! Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2004
    Berlin, Germany
    Thanks for the explanation :)

14. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    "Cherry Bomb" is a brand name of straight-through mufflers with no resonators. They work on a principle similar to a firearm silencer, and have essentially no back pressure.

Here's a diagram:
    http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/muffler-glasspack.jpg

Here are the ones I have on my flathead Ford special:
    http://www.jegs.com/photos/737H3010.jpg
    They sound fantastic, by the way.

And here's the stainless kind I would use in a Ferrari exhaust:
    http://www.jegs.com/photos/842smoothtube.jpg

--Matt

15. cavallo_nero

cavallo_nero Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    colorado
    Full Name:
    Giovanni Pasquale
    #15 cavallo_nero, Oct 13, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    this setup on my 308 was less than a grand, and it totally woke up my car from the tubi setup i had on there - go tru dual..........
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ

Cavallo,

Im pretty sure that's the set up Im going with. I can get polished stainless steel magnaflows and a pair of matching dual tips to finish it off.

17. pcelenta

pcelenta Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Cavallo,
    after putting that exhaust system on your car..what mods were needed in the carb area? Did you bump up jets? etc. I have a 78 gts..also, non-euro, black/black with a euro-ansa system that is breaking down and am toying with the idea of bumping my idle jets up to 060's since I have a bit of poping in the transition range.

regards,
    Paul

18. cavallo_nero

cavallo_nero Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    colorado
    Full Name:
    Giovanni Pasquale
    I have 60s for idle jets, and still have poping on deceleration, i think it is in my mixture screw setup. i run 140 mains with 170 A/C (dyno tested at 6000 feet above sea level for HP and A/F ratio which is right on). this translates to much richer jetting at sea level. i also have electromotive ignition and borgo hi comp pistons. the car runs out strong right up to 7500 rpm. the dual exhaust setup really complements the 3x8 motor, and scavenges exhaust gasses much better than stock or tubi setup, which just dumps everything into a chamber and poops out the exhaust thru outlets in the chamber. the dual setup creates the column of uninterrupted exhaust pulses which draws out the exhaust.

19. AR!

AR! Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2004
    Berlin, Germany
    Great help, thanx :)

20. TommyA

TommyA Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2002
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tommy A
    Will a Ferrari benefit from an exhaust crossover pipe?

21. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Same question as I was designing my system.
    From what I am told:
    In theory, no - a Ferrari does not need a crossover as the pulses on each side are already perfectly timed from the 90 degree 'flat crank'. Crossover pipes I am told are of more benefit to a 'regular' V-8 crank where the the pulses are uneven side-to-side, and the crossover or 'X-pipe' helps even out the pressure pulses.
    This is why Ferrari flat crank V-8 engines benefit from true 'dual' systems.

22. PINNIN512

PINNIN512 Formula 3

Aug 30, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    David
    My mechanic says you must have back pressure in your exhaust system or risk major damage specifically on a 12 cylinder. Anybody else have more information on this , didn't exactly get the reason why.

23. Tig368

Tig368 Rookie

Nov 23, 2003
    Hi, just if anyone is interested, I pulled the exhaust off of my 1977 308 GTB some time ago and out of curiosity I removed the heat shielding to see if in fact the unit was two mufflers in one. I have the super heavy thermo reactor muffler (Change this out and your car will go faster just from the weight reduction). Anyway, what I discovered was that the unit is actually two mufflers welded back to back and they do not cross over, that is the inlet and exhaust for each bank enters and exists on the same side of the car, just like on a C5 Corvette. I haven't measured it, but it seems to me that if you could get some C5 performance type mufflers from an aftermarket company at a reasonable price and weld them back to back, they would fit very nicely in a 308. I'm not sure how to attach a photo, but if anyone wants to see what the original looks like minus the heat shield let me know how to attach a picture and what size would be appropriate.

Regard,
    Alan

24. bo328

bo328 Rookie

Sep 25, 2004
    Cleveland Oh.
    Full Name:
    Bo
    Dave, what sort of damage will you cause without back pressure? since i have my motor out i figure that it is time to fool with my exhaust. I have read in the past that testi's have been fitted with straight pipes, can this be done to a 3X8. I am looking for ideas besides the basic tubi. what sort of things have been done to 3X8's exhaust and what are the results? is there a prestablished link that i am missing?