My first ENZO drive | Page 2 | FerrariChat

My first ENZO drive

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by tfrancis, Oct 18, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bludevil12

bludevil12 Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa

May 12, 2004
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    David L.
    WOW....experience of a life time!!!!!!!!!

I can imagine how scared you were, but how awesome that the owner was that trusting to let you take it out, great story!!! CONGRATS!

2. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    Congratulations!!! This you will remember for the rest of your life :)

3. wadewhitmire

wadewhitmire Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    I was the only one fortunate to get a ride with Tom after the show. I remember getting into this car and had to keep pinching myself that this was about to really happen! Tom and I spent some time going over the steering wheel and all of its functions and then it was off for the ride of a life time. Once we were on the main road Tom gave the car some gas and WOW (hold on); he then shifted into second with the gas still down and the car pinned you back and pulled liked being shot out of a cannon. As the revs rose the car pulled harder (incredible)! The sound this car makes is unreal! I remember this guy driving a Porsche 993 in the other direction as we were flyin down the road and literally almost wrecked in shock! I own a 348 and it felt like it was tied to fence after riding in this car. I really do understand now why people give the big bucks to own this ride. The experience is addictive. If you are ever given the opportunity to get in one, do so without hesitation.

4. enzo100

enzo100 Karting

Sep 6, 2004
    That is one of the most inspirational sories I have ever heard. Amen!

5. Scuderia_Ferrari

Scuderia_Ferrari Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    I can only imagine. Your a very lucky man!

6. F40

F40 F1 Rookie

Apr 16, 2003
    AZ
    He has a 328, so it wasn't his first time driving a Ferrari.

AWESOME story...!

7. Scuderia_Ferrari

Scuderia_Ferrari Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    I think he means; Was it more driving a Ferrari for the first time, or driving the Enzo now?

8. amslb182

amslb182 Formula Junior

Oct 3, 2004
    Ct
    Full Name:
    Andrew LeGrant
    After reading that wonderful story about his experience with the Enzo i just cant resist telling mine (my hearts already beating a mile a minute just thinking about it). it was at the 2003 Hartford Concorso, i was 14 years old and it was my first time around lots of Ferraris. that day i had had my first ride in a Ferrari the 308 GTS in the parade, nothing to special but lots of fun none the less. (if youre wondering how i got into the parade im friends with the president of the hartford childrens hospital, the charity that the show benefits.) after the ride i walked around and looked at all the cars especially the Enzo which was brand new that summer and one of the first cars in the states. later that afternoon the my friends secretary wanted to get some pics of me in the car. Well how could i turn that down. She got Stanley's (the owners) son in law with the keys and let me into the car. I sat behind the wheel with the biggest smile on my face thinking this cant get any better. but then it did!!! all of a sudden i look up and hes handing me the keys! i almost shat myself!! i put the key in and could hardly turn it i was shaking so much. u turned the key and all the lights came on and the beeping started. i looked down at that big red start button and could feel my heart thumping out of my chest. i put my hand on the column and put my thumb on the button and held it down. the engine turned over and the burst into life. it was by far the best thing i had ever heard. i sat there revving up the car for a few minutes and gripping the steering wheel and pretending to be Schuey. i sat there thinking this cant get any better. But once again it did. After a few minutes Stanley cam over to see who was in his brand new Enzo, i cant image what he thought when he saw a 14 year old kid in it. and then i heard him say to his son in law, why dont you take him for a ride. once again i almost shat myself. i got out and jumped into the passenger seat and rode around hartford for about 15 minutes (which seemed more like 15 seconds). the car handles like you would not believe. that was by far the best day of my life. thanks Stanley
    Max
    im trying to put the pics of it up but it wont work but ill email them to somebody if you want to put them up for me

9. tfrancis

tfrancis Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    Memphis, TN
    Good for you Max.

10. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris

We all know you just want the serial number ;)

11. Miura Jota

Miura Jota F1 Rookie

May 26, 2004
    Toluca , Mexico
    Full Name:
    Martin
    didn't you take your camera in that great day?
    where are the pics?

12. tfrancis

tfrancis Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    Memphis, TN
    I've got one picture so far that I'll scan tomorrow and post. The rest of my pictures are on another roll of film that I need to hurry and use up. I'll of course post them as well.

Tom

13. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    LOL, this is one of those instances where i could care less about it... i just want to hear more about the experience...

14. Steve R

Steve R F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 15, 2004
    MeSoNeedy, CA
    Full Name:
    TorQ Master
    ....but the story didn't end with smoking a cigarette?

15. tfrancis

tfrancis Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    Memphis, TN
    I'll answer this one in my -Part 2-.

Tom

16. tfrancis

tfrancis Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    Memphis, TN
    Okay, since you asked for more I'll continue. First, I do want to thank Ron for his generosity and trust. I too enjoy sharing my car and have let others whom I trust drive mine. I think some of the great moments in my life where the times I shared and did things for others.

In regards to the question of overcoming the fear of driving this car... I was a bit fearful but was more concerned about keeping my wits and being in control. This car is like an animal... if you fear it then it going to take control of you. When in fear your judgment can be compromised and you could do something stupid. You have to get all your senses in tune with what's going on because the response is quick!!! Don't be afraid... it’s the worst thing you could do.

When the event was over I waited for the traffic to clear. Plus, there were some last minute photos people wanted. One of our other club members Wade was helping me out with the trophies and charger I brought. As we got things packed up to go I told Wade "why don't you ride with me on the way back". I think he quit breathing. With his eyes still glazed over he asked a 12 yr old girl to drive his car home (this is true). Once he got his bearing back he just said “all right” and jumped in. I got the engine started and, of course, it's just awesome every time. Next, I showed Wade the steering wheel and went over everything Ron taught me. I then raised the car (rates a 10 on cool factor) and then put it in gear. As I’m driving out of the parking lot I notice all the carbon fiber surrounding me. The seat is very comfortable and is rapped around me like a glove. The dash is very nicely displayed and easy to read. I’m thinking to myself “this is exactly how this car is suppose to be”. I look out the side mirrors and everything looks nice and visible. The rear view mirror doesn’t allow you to see very well. You can surely see the V12 behind you and as one movie quote goes “…what’s behind you is not important.”

I pulled out of the parking lot and onto the street. We were fortunate that there wasn’t any traffic around so I was more at ease. I started going through the gears getting comfortable with the car. Suddenly, you hear the car lower as you gain speed (Awesome). Then I hit second and I can now see the spoiler on the back raise. My eyes are now wide with excitement. I can’t see Wade but I know he’s going nuts and wondering what’s coming next. I get to third and feel the engine roar again with power and authority. WOW!! I then slow back down and catch my breath. At this point Wade can’t even speak.

The shifting is hard to describe. It’s easy to pop the paddle but then there’s a transition that must be part of the traction control. Wade absolutely loved it. The car was always quick with response to my every request. Yet again I could just tell this car was laughing at me. “Come on! Is that it buddy?”… I could feel it telling me.

The steering is phenomenal!! The suspension is so tight that you can turn on a dime. And I mean turn on a dime!! I wouldn’t try what Ron did with his turn but I did a halfhearted turn just to get a little effect from Wade. Boy did he love it. If you ever get a chance to be in this car, with the owner, make sure you ask him to show you the turning power. I was absolutely shocked when Ron showed me.

We then arrived at Ron’s house. I stopped the car and raised it to get in his driveway. I pulled the car forward and parked outside his garage. I really hated to get out. Anyway, I turned off the car and Wade and I opened the doors (this is so cool) and get out. We locked it up and walked up to the front door. His wife answers (super nice woman) and lets us in. Ron comes downstairs and we give him the trophies. Then I hand him the key and thank him for the dream of a lifetime. He returns by saying “I’m sorry about that dead battery.” What a great guy.

One other question JEBES asked on this thread was about which experience was better…. my first Ferrari drive or the Enzo drive? I have pondered this question for a good part of the day. Both were very memorable events in my life. I’d have to say the ENZO ride might have a slight edge but it’s also kind of an unfair comparison. This may be because it’s so fresh in my head. Plus, I think the difference for me is that this has got to be the closest to F1 as you can get. The performance is second to none and could be regarded, as it’s own bug the “ENZO BUG”.

Tom

17. VROOM!!!

VROOM!!! Formula 3

Feb 11, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Armen
    That was great!!!! I was stting on the edge of my seat the whole time i was reading your write-up. BRAVO!!!

18. Perfusion

Perfusion F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2004
    Marietta, GA
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Great follow-up! Jealous is my middle name!

19. enzoz

enzoz Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Best thread ever.

I have a question though. tfrancis, did the Enzo's motor sound like a roar from the inside? How did it sound behind you?

Glad you had fun!

20. Mickey

Mickey Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2004
    Linnet Drive
    Full Name:
    Mike
    what a terrific story !!!

Thanks for sharing.

21. JEBES

JEBES Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2004
    Växjö, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Jonas
    Great storry. :D I understand my question was a hard one. ;-)

22. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    I loved the story! Thanks for posting it. I saw an Enzo last Summer driving down a road in Barrington, IL with regular IL plates. People were pulling over to take pictures! My wife was driving and my kids and I all yelled to pull over too! What an awesome car; I bet they cause plenty of accidents from the spectator effect!

Ken

23. tfrancis

tfrancis Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    Memphis, TN
    #48 tfrancis, Oct 19, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  24. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    So once you've raised the car to get over a bump, you don't have to lower it again in order to go fast...? i know you can't raise the car unless you're going under 18mph, but i didn't know you didn't have to lower it and that accelerating would lower it, automatically... Do you have to keep your car in between certain speeds while it's lowering...?

25. F40

F40 F1 Rookie

Apr 16, 2003
    AZ
    Has anyone ever told you that you look like Tony Hawk?