Insurance | FerrariChat

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Well, due to several past transgressions, my insurance company is finally denying renewal. Frankly, I'm not all that upset as I don't really think they were that good. However, I am now in the market for a new carrier. Any recommendations? While I'm located in the DC area, it doesn't matter to me where my agent is as long as the underwriter is national. So, I'm looking for high-dollar liability coverage and collision (at the very least) for at least two corporate-owned and operated vehicles.

I could go for hours on the farce we call traffic enforcement, the justice system and the VA DMV. I know that some of you will most assuredly will say "you deserve your troubles", and I will freely admit to being a fast driver. However, I am not an unsafe driver. I am a professionally-trained, former Grand-Am driver who doesn't see much wrong with driving fast on empty roads. But, I digress in my own defense.

So, rather than seeking morality or "I-told-you-so" arguments, any useful suggestions for obtaining coverage? I'm all ears.

Many Thanks,

CW

2. Rick Lee

Rick Lee Rookie

Jul 8, 2004
    I certainly won't begrudge you for driving fast. I do it too and totally agree that "traffic enforcement" is a joke around here. But you really should have done your shopping before you got dropped by your current insurer. It can't have been a total surprise to you. Now you will have to answer "yes" to the question on most insurers' app. forms, "Have you ever been denied coverage?". When I was in grave danger of losing my license in VA and thereby, probably insurance too, I shopped around and I seem to recall a very reasonable place called Meridian or something along those lines. I guess Geico is a non-starter for you. I've heard great things about State Farm and Nationwide. I have USAA and have done my best to keep some incidents from them. I don't want to be in your shoes. Now for track insurance, I recommend Laurel DE.

3. lashss

lashss F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    DC
    Full Name:
    LSJ
    Have you tried Chubb or even State Farm? I know GEICO won't even insure Ferraris last time they called me unsolicited. :)

We won't even go into the fact that VA in general is not a terribly car friendly state.

Good Luck,
    LS

4. MDshore348

MDshore348 Formula 3

Dec 24, 2004
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Darron
    i was doing only 70 over the virginia bay bridge tunnel when they got me in a 50 zone. 6 points/ negligent driving- and a must appear 450 dollar ticket . didnt help when i asked the cop , you mean i gotta come all the way back to this hick-town for court? !
    judge reduced it to 3 pts, but the reciprocity with MD showed on my records negligent driving for 3 yrs until i got it expunged. my insurance was canceled back then and then i went to AAA and they outsourced many companies , i found one, cheapest was 2 times what i used to pay. finally - things are back to normal ...for now :)

5. Bobert

Bobert Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2004
    Oak Hill VA
    Call Scott R. Cassada. His Nationwide office is in Alexandria. He is a car guy and understands problems. I have known him for years and would be with him now, except I have USAA and youthful drivers. His rates for my cars would beat USAA, but I have a daughter that has one nasty Speeding ticket and that is where USAA beats Nationwide.

The issue you are dealing with is trying to get insurance coverage at a reasonable price. I have had friends that have been in your position, and for a while you will pay dearly...but I would personnally stick with a major company. Years ago we were hit by a guy that was with a high risk company and the company was very hard to deal with. Bigger companies are much easier to deal with if you have an accident.

Our whole country is driving to fast...we all gotta slow down and enjoy the ride. Life is way to short and having had a serious accident recently that was not my fault, I can assure you that I am shocked at the amount of damage to the car and the harm that occurred to my body at 35 mph.

Hope you can get insured at a reasonable price!