Has anyone attended a Southern Babtist church service? | FerrariChat

Has anyone attended a Southern Babtist church service?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by PeterS, Dec 23, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    I would like to attend a real down home Southern Babtist church service. I know there has to be a high level of energy in the air during such a service with tambourines and everyone jump'en up and down!

Anyone been to one? I'm not a super holy roller, but I think such a service would be kind of fun!

2. Il'inglese

Il'inglese Karting

Dec 6, 2003
    You might be a "super holy roller" when you get done! Congregations like that are out there, closer to home than you might imagine. Local papers usually have a "Sunday Services" section. Call and ask.

3. Rolm

Rolm Karting

Oct 21, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    George
    I would love to. Many many years ago Ernest Anglie came to Toronto and a buddy and I went there for a laugh and let me tell you that is the place to pick-up babes. As a matter of fact my buddy married the babe he met or pick-up at that gathering. I don't know if Ernest is still alive I hope he is what a great comedian

4. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    It will take some searching. I attend a Southern Baptist church even though I am not much of a Baptist. Our church has regular style somewhat subdued services. No swaying arms, loud singing or big time congregation participation. A shame really I guess.

You may have to look at the more rural churches. Also, the stereotype if for it to be a mostly black baptist church.

I agree it would be fun! I may stick out like a sore thumb.... but you can bet if I went I would participate! What the hell.... why not?

Terry

5. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    I know I may stick out like a sore thumb, but I doubt I would get beaten up and get my tires slashed!

6. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    Around 10:00 am Sept. 11, in Memorial Circle at Texas Tech University, I met a guy who was leading an impromptu prayer group of about 20 students... at that point there was no doubt something enormous was happening, but nobody knew what, and it sure felt like the right time to join in.

I was invited later to join him at his church, a black baptist church, I'm not sure whether it was southern baptist proper or not. I went a few times, and was really impressed and truly moved by the way those people celebrated God. I grew up Roman Catholic and went to 12 years of parochial school, and had never seen anything like it.

I went to Catholic mass infrequently while living in Lubbock. The guy who had invited me to his church became a friend, and whenever it was a holiday, or I just felt down in general, I would go to the baptist church for sunday service. I was welcomed with open arms, and I felt right at home, despite being in a church of a different nature than I had grown up, and being one of maybe three white people in the whole church.

And DAMN! did they have some good food in the church hall after service! :D

7. Kboy007

Kboy007 Formula Junior

Oct 18, 2004
    Allen
    Full Name:
    Mike Verinder
    Im a Souther Baptist brought up in Lafayette Louisiana and Baton Rouge.

Traditional Southern Baptist services are rather reserved. Fire and Brimstone yes.. but rather reserved overal

The type of service that you are referring to sounds more like the "Assembly of God" services".. bands, raising hands, praying in tounges etc..

8. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Catch the end of Lyle Lovett's last album....he used a great back up group on it....I've seen 'em live as well........

Baptist...not Babtist.......I knew what you meant......

"How many Baptists do you take fishing?????"

"If you take just one they'll drink all your beer. If you take two, they won't drink any!!!!"

9. kevfla

kevfla Formula 3

Nov 20, 2003
    Full Name:
    gone 4 good
    Just pretend you were a co-worker of the deceased. Nobody will hassle you unless it's a service for a gang-banger. Then it might get sort of dicey. I'm not religious, but couldn't help not to be moved by the emotions and the music. Beats, pardon the expression, the hell out of some of the stuffy, white-guy Protestant funerals I've attended.

KevFla

10. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Hey, I was raised Catholic, where the services mirror an arobic workout.....Stand up, sit down, kneel, stand up, shake hands, sit down....ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz. I guess they need all of that to balance out all of this sitting and smoking that goes on during church BINGO!

11. JSL

JSL Formula 3

Jan 5, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    J.S. Leonard
    Peter: For a short time I was the interim pastor of a Southern Baptist Church. I was licensed in the Evangelical Free Church after graduating from Trinity Theological Seminary. Not all So. Baptist churches are rock and roll. In fact, most are somewhat reserved, they just have an alter call every week. I did that and many of the same folks came forward weekly. So much for my theological position of eternal security! Check our a Four Square church or some local independent Charismatic church. (BTW: I'm actually a conservative evangelical.) I have participated in several church settings and find value in each. God has a sense of humor and allows us to find where we are most comfortable. Enjoy and Merry Christmas.

12. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I went to one once. I was one of 4 pink faces in the room, it was fun and I was treated like royalty.

13. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat

Earnest Angley was always my fave. What a performer! What a con-man!

I loved the way he would ask you to press your hand against the TV screen so you could absorb his power straight from your TV set.

In fact, that's what I patterned this shtick after:

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24636&highlight=free+prostate

14. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Is that offer still valid?

15. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Yeah man! Just press your man-gland REALLY hard against your monitor, rotate slowly CLOCKWISE ( c-c-w in southern hemisphere), then respond to the thread referenced. :)