Some people really hate Mitsubishi, and they might not even be Subaru owners... | FerrariChat

Some people really hate Mitsubishi, and they might not even be Subaru owners...

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by ryalex, Dec 9, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
  2. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    #2 UroTrash, Dec 9, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    #3 TimN88, Dec 9, 2004
  4. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Of course, I'll have to throw in something like this...

5. FIAutoSports

FIAutoSports Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2004
    Baltimore, MD, US
    Full Name:
    John Ritenour
  6. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Mitsubishi products do suck completely ... infact the whole car producing part of the company sucks.

Why anybody buys that brand is completely beyond me ... must be stupid!

I always laugh when I see a broken down car ... and guess what 90% of the time it is a Mitsubishi ... seriously!

Rather own a Lada.
    Pete

7. iceburns288

iceburns288 Formula 3

Jun 19, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Charles M.
    I can't see any of the attachments... are they cool?

8. Vang

Vang Formula Junior

May 5, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Dan
    I've heard the Evo is a horrible car for the money :rolleyes:

9. Turb0flat4

Turb0flat4 Formula 3

Mar 7, 2004
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    RND
    They're quite alright, really. I have tons of friends with Evos in Singapore and have yet to hear of any major problems with them aside from the usual clutch wear.

Besides, the Evo is a crazy fast car for the price, and it handles superbly. The latest TG showed the Evo FQ-340 lapping the test track over a second faster than the iconic Audi WRC car in the hands of the Stig. The TG before that showed the Evo FQ-400 could keep pace with a Murcie, and almost certainly overtake it. In fact the Lambo spun out trying to ward off the Evo LOL (the Lambo was being driven by a touring car champ and the Evo by that relatively bad driver, Jeremy Clarkson). The Evo's electronic gadgetry (Super AYC, ACD) is capable of taking a very average driver and making him look phenomenal.

I think it's a great car for the money. But I personally prefer the STi, which is just as fast, but nowhere near as forgiving in its handling, since it lacks all the fancy gizmos. Still that makes it a better driver's car, and that's important to me. Subaru quality is also much better, as I'm sure Pete will agree.

10. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I have actually driven an Evo 3 ... and was quite impressed ... but there is a reason the Evo is a good car.

Mitsubishi are very, very good at the advertising, they understand the power of their rally cars doing well. Thus they had to get this model right, and thus unlike all their other cars they did the engineering right.

When I read about a company that has 100% admitted that it completely ignored ALL customer complaints and does not really care about their end product (do some searching on the internet ... it is 100% true) ... well guess what I'm never buying one. That attitude never changes and that attitude deserves no support. Also the car manufacturing company was only created to sell steel that the Mitsubishi steel works creates (again 100% true company history) ... hardly a passionate I want to make the best car in the world company vision!

Yep the Evo is great and shows what they really can do if they bothered ... but they do not bother and 5 year old Mitsubishi's are pissing smoke out their exhaust pipe's all over the world until the grind to a stop!

I feel sorry for the assembly workers but I really will be toasting them good riddance when they fold ... infact it would be worth a whisky or 2 :D

Pete's opinion
    ps: Merry Christmas :)

11. Mike360

Mike360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    STI Nowhere as near as forgiving? What drugs are you on? :D
    The STI is 1000% more forgiving than the Evo 7. Trust me, ive driven both qutie hard.
    The Evo 7 was a "raw" car. Much better connection to the road. Yes the EVO had all the Gizmos, but i think the R34 GTR still outclassed it when it came to having the most gizmo's.
    Have you ever driven a Evo 6.5 TME? Obviously not. They are on of the "rawest" cars out there!!! Even worse than an M3 CSL!!!

I do agree with you on the SUbaru Quality issue. Those new Liberties are flying out the door!

12. Turb0flat4

Turb0flat4 Formula 3

Mar 7, 2004
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    RND
    LOL, only the best mate, only the best. ;)

Look, there's a diff between being a "raw" car and being forgiving handling wise. The Evo feels raw because of the stiff supsension, the ultra quick steering rack and the generally more spartan interior (than the STi). But when you push it hard through the corner, it just holds the line (no under- or over-steer). If you do exceed the limit of traction, the fancy electronics come in and correct the car's trajectory for you. No driver skill needed. It would take a monumentally aggressive driver with no skill to cause a spin in the Evo.

Note that I'm talking more about the modern Evos, like the new MR. These are decidedly more refined and certainly more forgiving with Super AYC and ACD. Then again, Evo IV and above had the AYC (albeit not Super-AYC, difference being that the Super has the planetary type diff, plain old AYC is the bevel type), and the ACD was only introduced from VII onwards. So the Evo has a fairly long history of having electronic driver assists, and to me, these make the car more forgiving on the track.

The TME is a one-off WRC win inspired special, made to be be even more raw than the average Evo. I have to confess I am uncertain whether this version had the electronic gizmos, but I assume it did. The "rawness" may be a purely subjective feeling (cabin noise and the factors I mentioned above), but the car may handle easier than the STi.

On to the STi. It has a DCCD, not all versions, but I think you get the one with the DCCD. That allows you to set the front-rear bias and that's it, after that, you're on your own in terms of torque distribution. Subjectively, STi seems to plow through corners more than the Evo, and this is a sign of how understeery the car is in stock setup. When pushed hard, the rear gives way quite easily in the STi, and this is bad for the handling, because it can cause sudden spins which the novice may not be able to control. But it is good for doing fun powerslides.

Let me relate a recent demonstration I had of the difference between STi and the Evo MR on a recent advanced track driving/slalom course I participated in. For the slalom through the cones, the instructor wanted to show us how to do proper handbrake turns. The STis and the WRXs could do it fairly easily, one yank of the handbrake, with a flick of the steering and the rear end came round neatly and the car pointed the other way. But the Evo MR just *couldn't* do it. No matter how he tried, the MR just wouldn't pivot, it just took a leisurely canter around the terminal cones and came back. The instructor attempting this was the local autocross/slalom champ, but he had to concede defeat. Honestly, I don't know exactly how the car was overriding the handbrakes but it was doing it all the same. The MR's electronic aids can certainly help a skill-less driver get out of situations but they can also thwart attempts to have real fun with the car. And who really likes this level of nannying ? :D

13. Mike360

Mike360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Just one thing I would like to clear up before I reply. Vicki is mine you *****!! LOL

Agree with you on the most part. But to me, the “raw” car has always been the “drivers” car. It might take a little bit more effort and time to master, but once you’re on top of the game, nothing can come close. Look at a Super Seven or even an Elise as an example. Possibly even a GT3.

Yes they do make the car more forgiving at the track, but I wouldn’t say more than the tram-lining that the STI does. I remember one time I took that 22B out for a day at the track. I didn’t want to stack it so I took it at about 80%. A used to eat EVO V’s for breakfast….

No I can assure you that the TME was a pig to drive. Extremely fast all the way to the Extreme limit, but still a pig. The Brembo’s on the TME I drove seemed to be more “bitier” than normal. Maybe due to braided hoses I don’t know.

Yeah we only just got the DCCD about a month ago. The STI received a very minor Facelift with minor interior changes and new wheels, and now it has the DCCD.

Im amazed at how much you know about the EVO Vs STI debate. Congrats man. I used to be able to remember this stuff off the top of my head but now im lost. All the “Super” AYC is confusing me. I might have to start looking into it all again.

On a side note. I realized the other day that I had a Mitsubishi catalogue sent from Mitsubishi Aust about the Evo 6. Inside there is a VERY small picture of what I now know as the EVO 7. I just rang one of the guys at Mitsubishi and told him about it and he confirmed that I shouldn’t have got it and that it was for Mitsubishi Employess only, and that they put that photo in there by mistake. If I recall correctly, this was about 5 months before the official photos were released. So I had photos of the EVO 7 5 months before the press did!!! I coulda make some $$ outa that!

14. MickerF1

MickerF1 Rookie

Aug 16, 2004
    Napa,Ca.Makakilo HI
    Full Name:
    Michael Ferreira
    A good example is my Testarossa. Tubi, AV gas, airflow, a rocket. Problem? Engine is in the rear and takes corners like rear steer is locked left or right. My Mondial Cab can out corner it. Center of Gravity and power to weight all factor in to all cars. Too much of one and you lose something else. Fun part? Drift contests!! Here in Oahu Hawaii I live five minutes away from the track.The big thing over here is older rear wheel drive rice cookers in controlled oversteer situations around a track. No race, all show, no go. Take THAT front wheel drive rocket man. I see a lot of Mitsubishi, not to be confused with Misubi which is a fast food item sold in 7-11 here. The last time I saw so many Mitsubishis in one place was the movie Pearl Harbor when the sky was full of Mitsubishi built Japanese Zeros. Seemed to be reliable enough to make the trip On December 7th 1941 to Honolulu and blow my grandmothers house to bits and orphan my father and uncles. . . .but I digress. Wait til Osama Bin Laden builds a car. Years from now everyone will have forgotten 9-11 and LOVE 'em. My girlfriend is part Japanese, maybe I should take it out on her too. . . . Americans are a forgiving lot thankfully.
    Until those Evos, etc. get their overall designs changed to match their power plants they will still continue to be retards with big D**ks.(the cars)

15. Turb0flat4

Turb0flat4 Formula 3

Mar 7, 2004
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    RND
    :D

I think it comes down to what one is looking for. I like the STi because it exposes my errors at the track, and thereby forces me to correct bad driving technique. In that sense, the STi is like a cat, playful and generally docile, but with an unforgiving edge that'll cause it to bite and scratch if you take it for granted. OTOH, the Evo is like a faithful dog, covering up for its master's deficiencies. It may be loud and unrefined at first glance (unlike the sleek cat) but at its core, it only wants to please and make you look good.

I've always been a cat person.

OK, after typing out that prime candidate for "worst analogy of the year", I realise that I *must* be on drugs. LOL. :D

All things considered, I guess car nuts are rather egocentric. The cars we regard as the best driver's cars are the ones we feel we look best in. Isn't that true ? ;)

Yeah, as I think I mentioned in a previous post, you're a lucky b@stard for driving the 22b STi. That's an insane car.

22b, TME...now you're just showing off. :D I've never been lucky enough to drive either, so I'm glad to hear your take on it.

I only seem to know a lot about this stuff because I've owned, modded and tracked a WRX. My dad owns an Evo 7 GT-A, so I'm learning about that stuff as well. I'm sure you know a lot more than me about F-cars and a lot of other things, mate. :)

16. Turb0flat4

Turb0flat4 Formula 3

Mar 7, 2004
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    RND
    You have contributed exactly Zero (pun intended) to this discussion with that unnecessary diatribe.

17. RacerX_GTO

RacerX_GTO F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Gabe V.
    #17 RacerX_GTO, Dec 23, 2004
    Interesting read. A little bit of this and that.

I bought a Mitsubishi GTO the second time around for its reliability. My first Mitsubishi was the twin turbo and my second is the watered down version. Today, that black car is my daily driver. It operates flawlessly. It's serviced on the dot and I am happy with it. News of these websites raises a brow that either Mitsu quality has fallen into the toilet or these people are just idiots. I beleive in the certain amount of lemon factor, INCLUDING FERRARI. It goes with the territory in manufacturing. But these folks have an ax to grind with Mitsu, then so be it. I don't have anything against them, other than not making another supercar. Sorry, EVO doesn't count ;)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    RacerX_GTO,

Mitsubishi GTO's have a reputation down under of chewing out their diffs ... or something. Not 100% sure what. But they are rare cars down here, so to be fair to Mitsi. the GTO reputation may not be a fair representation of the model.

Enjoy yours.
    Pete
    ps: Merry Christmas :)

19. Mike360

Mike360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    All all honesty, owning the 22B had a LOT of downsides. When i had the car here, the WRX was just starting to become popular. To see a "rexy" with pumped guards that was blue/gold made the car a huge liability. Many times did i catch people scoping out the car, taking pictures etc... Even threating mail. It had its bad times. But yeah, the car seemed to have ALOT more torque than a normal Rex. I distincly remember in the rain i used to be able to skip the front wheels around when i hard-shifted from 1st to 2nd, Integra Type R Style!!

Ahh Bro, like i said, the TME was a pig. And it felt like a Taxi inside. Actually, it felt like a 20k Lancer but it was 75K.....:(

WRX are awesome cars. I have owned 2 now. And now im driving its Baby Brother, the RS 2.5L. Nice cars IMO.

PM me about the WRX's, ive got some nice stories to tell you if your interested!!

AND BTW mate. I might know a few things about F-cars....
    But according to the ATO (Aussie Tax Office) i dont own such a thing as a Modena..... ;-)
    Keep that in mind!

PETE
    Wernt they called 3000GT's here??

20. Turb0flat4

Turb0flat4 Formula 3

Mar 7, 2004
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    RND
    Mike you have PM. And don't worry your tax secrets are safe with me. ;)

21. isellpower

isellpower Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Jason

3000GT VR4. Never sold as GTO here. Only in video games.

22. RacerX_GTO

Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Gabe V.

I'm making this entry for the sake of future searches on Fchat

Mitsubishi GTO/ Mitsubishi 3000GT
    ---------------------------------

Mitsubishi of Japan produced the HSX in the late 80's as a concept for an auto show. Production was given the green light and the car's name was changed to GTO. Mitsubishi's effort to market the GTO to the Americans, discovered the reverance placed on the American automobile icon, Pontiac GTO. Upon learning that, it was of importance as to not dishonor the Americans by shoving another "GTO" on American shores, so, rather, the name was changed to 3000GT which represented 3000cc's for the engine and GT for Grand Touring. 1991 marked the first year for the Mitsubishi 3000GT in America. 1999 marked the last. However, Mitsubishi Motors pressed on with their GTO for the Greater Orient/Asia, United Kingdom, Australia, Canada and anywhere else where right hand drive is the norm.

Years later, Mitsubishi 3000GT and Dodge Stealth owners have become aware of the GTO's existance and through a short lived racing team in Japan which featured emreald green GTO's. Additionally, GTO and 3000GT information has been exchanged by owners via the internet, as to the primary differences between the two cars. Other than the steering wheel position and a few details, they are the same cars. As with many things, there are disputes between owners as to which is the true name of the car. I figure, it rolled off the assembly line in Nagoya Japan as GTO... it's a GTO.

23. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I realize you probably just cut and pasted that, but in Canada they drive LHD like everywhere else in North America. I'm pretty sure 3000GT sales ended there the same time as the US too.

24. RacerX_GTO

Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Gabe V.
    That's an error on my part, I've never been to Canada! I should have combined the Canadian/American market as part of LHD construction.

If I put more effort into it, I can write descent copy. ;)

25. K27

K27 Karting

Jul 10, 2004
    Vancouver BC
    Full Name:
    Lance
    Someone tell that to some of the complete f!@#$%^ idots on the road around here :)