Mid Engined V12 with Carbs | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Mid Engined V12 with Carbs

Discussion in '308/328' started by 208 GT4, Jan 8, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    The true P4s (not the customer cars dubbed "412 P") used Lucas fuel injection.

Thanks for the compliment. I think you'll find that Erik is a knowledgeable gentleman as well. It's still early in Shanghai though, so don't be too rough on him until he's had the chance to down a couple of cups of Joe.:)

Now, prepare for a serious lashing from the "flat-12 vs boxer vs 180' V-12" crowd.

2. Bryan

Bryan Formula 3

http://www.e-paranoids.com/f/fl/flat_12.html

Flat-12 Guide, Meaning , Facts, Information and Description
    A flat-12 is an internal combustion engine in flat configuration, having 12 cylinders.
    The flat-12 is larger than a V12 and has no advantage in terms of vibrations. Thus the design is rarely used on production cars.

Most of the flat-12 engines are not true piston-opposed engines (boxer) but rather 180° V engines. The real boxer has one crank pin per piston while in the 180° V engine two pistons share the same crank pin. With twelve cylinders both layouts are perfectly balanced.

It was used in Formula One and Endurance racing, the flat-engine concept had the advantage of a low center of gravity. When wing-cars requiring air-flow venturies came along in the late 1970s, the wide flat-layout obstructed the airflow and became obsolete.

In 1964-65, at the end of the 1.5 litre F1 era, Ferrari introduced a flat-12 on the Ferrari 1512, but a more classical V12 was chosen for the new 3 litre F1.

The Porsche 917 endurance racing car (introduced in 1968, for the Sport category) was powered by an air-cooled flat-12. This engine was a direct evolution of the Porsche flat-8 design.

The domination of the Porsche 917 over the V12-powered Ferrari 512 probably influenced Ferrari, for they returned to the flat-12 in 3 litre water-cooled form for its prototypes and Formula One cars.

The Ferrari flat-12 design was successful and influential especially on Italian manufacturers, Alfa-Romeo was also successful in endurance with a flat-12 while the Tecno Formula One flat-12 was a failure.

A 5 litre flat-12 was later introduced by Ferrari on some of its production models, including the Berlinetta Boxer and Testarossa.

3. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #28 Steve Magnusson, Jan 8, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Not correct -- all of the flat Ferrari 12 cylinder road car engines have 2 con rods (from opposing cylinders) on each crank throw. Here's a shot of the TR crankshaft -- note only 6 throws for 12 con rods:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Bryan

Bryan Formula 3

and that's why the BB, BBi, and TR are all flat V-12s, per definition.

"The real boxer has one crank pin per piston while in the 180° V engine two pistons share the same crank pin. With twelve cylinders both layouts are perfectly balanced."

Enzo could call a car ANYHTING he wanted to.

5. Bryan

Bryan Formula 3

If you support flat V-12, then lash once...boxer, lash twice... <g>

6. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Okay, I've got two cups of coffee in me now. Too bad the wife wants me to go to brunch.

Let the lashings go on without me. ;)

7. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    P4's as Wayne pointed out did not have carbs. (0856, 0858, 0860) P 3/4 0846 when it became /4 didn't either. There were only 3 P4's , 2 of which- 0858 & 0860 are now 350 Can Am's (engine wise) and one P 3/4 0846. There are several 412 P's which do have carbs.

Brian is quite correct as well.

8. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    That is correct,the 365GT4/BB, BB512, BB512i and TR variants are all 180 degree V12s, not true "boxer" engines.

9. DEI

DEI Karting

Mar 21, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Dave I
    Right, let me stupidly wade back into the fray!

I bewlieve that the TR and BB essentially share the same engine configuration - therefore making the BB a boxer?!

Or am I missing something?

PS Appologies to all that I may have slagged off if I am wrong - I am always happy to fall on my sword if required
    PPS Any of you more knowledgable guys want to help out on my 308 rust question / advice request - see seperate thread just below

10. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    What you're missing is that Ferrari and many other manufacturers have wrongly applied the term "boxer" to any flat engine layout. True "boxers" (as the term used to mean on the BMW R32 engine of 1923) are flat engines where opposing cylinders reach TDC simultaneously (which requires the inefficient 1 con rod per crank throw architecture you mentioned -- easy to accept on a 2-cyl engine or a small 4-cyl, but no so great for a 12-cyl, or even an 8-cyl, engine). However, IMO manufacturers have abused this technicality for so long that today the more common perception is "boxer = flat" (without the further simultaneous TDC restriction).

11. kevfla

kevfla Formula 3

Nov 20, 2003
    Full Name:
    gone 4 good
    Are their engines a true "boxer" configuration? Or are they flat V-6s? How the Ferrari and Porsche engines differ might clarify the distinction in nomenclature.

KevFla

PS: FOC Ferraris at St Armand's Circle, Sarasota, FL next weekend!

12. Dutchman

Dutchman F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 4, 2002
    EU
    Full Name:
    Ton
    What is that? Looks like a beautiful mix between the 250LM and the 246GT.

13. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    DEI, neither the BB nor TR are 'boxer" engines, they are 180 degree V12s. By the way, does anyone know if the Subura flat 4 engines are "boxer" engines or are they 180 degree V4s too?

14. DEI

DEI Karting

Mar 21, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Dave I
    What about the flat 4 in Alfasud's?