I'd Like to move to Cali.... eventually | FerrariChat

I'd Like to move to Cali.... eventually

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by Ferrari0324, Jan 8, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrari0324

Ferrari0324 F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    I'm from the EC. But my dream is when I graduate from school in 2007 to move to So. Cali. for at least a year to see what it holds for me and see what happens from there. I'm considering maybe spending a month there one summer before to get a taste of it. Does anyone have any advice, locations, jobs. anything of the sort. I'm a VERY ambitious person, and won't let anything stop me from getting what I want, but with the way the job market is and such it will be tough. I want to get into real estate, maybe contracting of some sort. Just need some advice, help. etc. Please.

2. RickDay246

RickDay246 Karting

Sep 10, 2004
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rick Day
    We don't call it that here.

Seriously, though, don't "test" it. Make up your mind. Leverage every relationship you have (or your parents have) for introductions. (If you're specific, you may be able to get some of that done on this board. California's got plenty of opportunity for ambitious people! Jump in with both feet and plan to succeed.

3. Ferrari0324

Ferrari0324 F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    Haha, sorry. Didn't realize that, may not make a difference but i did have the . there to abreviate it. Wasn't calling it cali. just shortening it. Anyways, I've pretty much made up my mind I want to go to california. I feel like i'm a native by heart, just from NY and living in jersey. Guess the big thing is, I love the heat and although i've never been there in person which is why i'd like to go there for a month one summer, I assume it's just as beautiful as seen on television (the good parts at least). And as for using leverage, I have a distant cousin I am going to start getting in touch w/ to see if he can help me out.

4. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Seriously? Wait until mid-2006 and ask us again. A lot can change between now and then.

5. Brigitte

Brigitte Guest

Jan 16, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Brigitte
    Bring your wits.

Money.

Ferrari.

Money.

Mountains of Patience for driving.

Double the above!

Welcome to Cali. (abbreviated)

;) Brigitte

Oh and never expect to be in a healthy solid relationship ever.

Your good to go once you understand my reply.

6. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    I was there for 40+ years, man - don't do it!

7. spt

spt Rookie

Jan 5, 2005
    Newport Coast, CA
    Full Name:
    Ali Allage
    Just a little advise from someone who just made the move 2 months ago:

- Make sure to have good amount of cash saved up.

- If you are moving your stuff (furniture, car, etc), expect to pay a few thousand (depending how much stuff you have).

- Expect to pay more for eveything (living expenses, etc.), unless you live in NY

As for locations, it depends on what you are looking for in a area. I live in Newport Coast/Newport Beach and love it. It's quiet compared to the nightmare back East and the people here very friendly.

What type of profession are you looking to get in to?

8. Ferrari0324

Ferrari0324 F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    Right now, i'm starting to get interested in real estate development, which obviously takes a lot of money to start out in. I would like to move there, and start out working for someone else, learning the business. Start earning money and such. A cousin of mine is apparently starting a contracting business, so I would like to get in touch w/ him to see if one summer i could spend a month interning to not only see what its like but what California is like. I obviously shouldn't rely on someone else to help me out, but I would like to get a steady job here and then transfer there. If at all possible. I am looking for a nice clean, safe area that isn't too far from the beach and isn't in a rush like NYC. My biggest concern is having a steady job to start out in, I don't want to move there to only be living on the streets, but as I get into it start taking bigger risks.

9. Ferrari0324

Ferrari0324 F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    I will add I am interested in many forms of business but don't want to be stuck in front of a computer my entire life.

10. GianPaolo

GianPaolo Formula Junior

Dec 4, 2004
    BENSONHURST
    Full Name:
    JohnPaul
    AMEN!! good thing i'm leaving this state!!!!

11. s_eric09

s_eric09 Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    George
    Brandon,

What you studying in school? and what advice you have for somebody that would want to move to the east coast?

cheers

George.

12. Ferrari0324

Ferrari0324 F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    Bus. Management. If it's higher up in the east Coast, learn to deal w/ the cold, which is the biggest thing that I want to move away from. Knowing which state, would be more helpful; but in general expect more of an attitude in the New York region. Jersey and NY are pretty expensive to live in, but coming from California i'm sure you know what it's like.

13. Ferrari0324

Ferrari0324 F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    Is it really that difficult to find someone that's not just after your money?

14. elsupremo

elsupremo Karting

Mar 9, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    David
    The only thing I will add is that all of California, Southern California in particular, is NOT the same. What you see on television is most likely limited to the more privileged, expensive areas. Newport Beach, as stereotyped on the popular show The O.C., where many of the owners on this forum reside, is not in any way, shape, or form, representative of the Southern California lifestyle in general. With the exception that it is indeed on the Pacific Ocean.

15. Brigitte

Brigitte Guest

Jan 16, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Brigitte
    Every guy I've dated has had money issues and it just never ends! So learn about financial investing and take action at least start your Roth IRA if nothing else.
    It is super expensive to live here if you want to hang with the big boys and girls. Seems on average that many spend about $50-$80 per day on what ever. Not including your bills, budget this move and figure over by 12% don't forget tax and all the valet's tipping and parking daily. You can go to the websites of places out here for prices like grocery stores and drug stores and if you go to sporting events ck how much tickets are out here, again prepare yourself or you'll go home broke if you can afford to go home!

Best of Luck,

Brigitte

16. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    B. is BACK and giving good advice!!!!!!

Money issues, as in too little or not enough???? LOL!

Where the heck have you been, B.?

17. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    You can always goes home B., ..............

"There's no place like home......there's no place like home...."

18. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    $50- $80 per day on Jack Daniel's alone.........and surf wax, you'll need plenty of surf wax.......

19. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    So. Cal. is more like desert and wind farms, huh?

And a little trailer home for J.J. Cale.............

20. Ferrari0324

Ferrari0324 F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    You guys are scaring me off.... Not really. Anyone wanna let me live in their basement?

21. nocturne1

nocturne1 Formula 3

Sep 8, 2004
    Foothill Ranch, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Hmmm....not sure if you should trust anyone who even claims to even HAVE a basement in California.... :)

22. jharkercfduc

jharkercfduc Karting

Sep 4, 2004
    riverside california
    Full Name:
    jonathan harker
    I should have some rentals built by 2007(no basements though), but I am in riverside, about an hour from newport beach, also depending on the time of day it can be longer, but there are lots of mountains to play with toys in around here.

23. Ferrari0324

Ferrari0324 F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    Just to get an idea. How much would rent be for the smallest apartment?

24. spt

spt Rookie

Jan 5, 2005
    Newport Coast, CA
    Full Name:
    Ali Allage

Depends on where you want to live. Here's a link to Irvine Company's website to help you in your search:

http://www.irvinecompany.com/

25. Brigitte

Brigitte Guest

Jan 16, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Brigitte
    There are no basements here. I'm not sure why maybe because of earthquakes and land slides and when it rains the flooding is awful, no attics either really, strict codes for building structures. How about that for ruining your idea of coming out here.

Really as long as you go slow and are very resourceful and outgoing you will do fine. Just know when to stay and when to leave.

Sorry but honesty is better than dishonesty.

Brigitte