Henry Tran will be missed... | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Henry Tran will be missed...

Discussion in 'California & Nevada (Northern)' started by meantestarossa, Jan 8, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Wasabe

Wasabe Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2003
    Santa Monica
    Full Name:
    Jennifer
    I'm at a loss for words. My condolences to the family.

2. JSMDMD

JSMDMD Formula Junior

Nov 27, 2003
    My condolences to his family.

3. Bmyth

Bmyth Rookie

Aug 3, 2004
    CA
    Full Name:
    Byron
    #53 Bmyth, Jan 10, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Like all of you, I've been grief-stricken these past few days...

I've been waiting for the right time to post something when I figured out what I was going to say about Henry. The first time I ever spoke to Henry was when he graciously offered to let me drive his F512M on the Nor Cal gold coast drive... before even meeting me, he offered to let me stay at his house. I was overwhelmed by his generosity.

We finally met during the FDC St. Regis breakfast event in October of last year - what a true gentleman he is. It wasn't until weeks later that I found out about his condition.

On December 10th, a few of us met up for lunch... which would have been one of his last outings with the ferrari group. We met his brother, Van, and had a great time talking about cars and politics - we were laughing and sharing...

Henry wanted me to drive a 456 b/c he wanted to buy one... so that afternoon, we switched cars... he took the 456 and I took the 512M... I spent the next 2 weeks enjoying his beautiful car and in the meantime, stayed in touch with him and understanding his condition...

He was blessed with a wonderful family and such good friends... I realize that this world is unfair, but if his pain is eased, I feel he may be in a better place.

Rest in peace, Henry.

Byron
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. toddjw73

toddjw73 F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2004
    Nor-Cal
    Full Name:
    Todd Westbrook
    I am truely shocked right now!

The last time I heard from Henry, I had discussed my new business with him via PM. Now I wish I had called him to talk about it. This Truely SUCKS! Henry will definately be missed. My thoughts are with the family.

I first met Henry and the others from the Stockton Group in person on the Sacramento Bruch run last September. I owe him. He is the reason for my first FERRARI EXPERIENCE. I rode up in his F512M with RacerX_GTO & on the way back Henry let me drive his F355 Spider. My first time driving my favorite car.

Ron, Dan, Peter S., Gabe V. & Joon Lee -

Yes we all do need to get something together to honor him. My store parking lot in Pleasanton will be a good location for an ALL FERRARI EVENT/SHOW. Something I was planning on doing anyways. This just gives me a better reason to do it. I can get 40 to 50 in the parking lot, and many many more on the streets or in the surrounding parking lots. I may even be able to get the streets closed off to traffic so that there are no worries. I Specifically can do this on any Sunday when the businesses around me are all closed. PM me if this works for anyone.

5. blu328gts

blu328gts Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 26, 2004
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    //Rick
    Todd,

Where in Pleasanton and what kind of shop is it?

-- Rick --

6. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Todd, Norm and I had something a big larger / more involved in mind than a meet. Chekc the thread newly posted for info.

--Dan

7. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    It's taken me a few days to tackle this, but it's time.

I met Henry once, and it was the only time he handed me the keys to his Dino. he had offered online numerous times and i had never made the trip to his garage. thanks to rob and the F-chat dinner in Monterrey, we caught up to each other. He snagged me before the second margarita and said: " why don't you put that down and we'll take a look at the Dino." On the way he handed me the keys. I will never forget it, but what struck me most was the way Henry made me feel like the most important person in the world for fifteen minutes.

I didn't know Henry very well: what an impression.

My best to his family.

8. cyuhhhh

cyuhhhh Rookie

Jul 13, 2004
    Full Name:
    Phil
    This is very difficult to think of the words to say in hearing of this great misfortune. Henry did a great honor to the group here in Stockton in not only getting us together...but in keeping us together. The first time I met Henry I was driving my TR on the Avenue here in Stockton...Henry pulled up next to me...honked his horn...and proceeded to tell me about his 512, Dino, and Spider. My first reaction was..."yeah...right!" The next time I saw Henry was on March Lane...I was driving the TR and he pulled along side me in his Dino...next thing I knew we were racing down March Ln just as fast as we could go...it was great...listening to the Dino backfiring. This was a car I needed to show my son. You need to understand that my son is very shy and reserved...but both Henry and my son's passions for Ferraris opened my son to conversations I didn't know he was capable of. The last memorable drive with Henry was when he let my son and I pick up his new Lotus for him in the Bay area (he was going to let us drive it before he did!). My son is in 6th grade and that was the most noted car in his school the prior year...now he actually was riding in one. Henry even let me use the Elise to pick my son up from school so all the other kids could see it too. Henry was not only one of my best friends...but also one of my 11 year old son's best friends as well... and he will be deeply missed; but forever remembered...The last time I saw Henry was when we were dropping lunch off to our chilren at school...watching him say goodbye to his children after lunch was over brought tears my eyes and made me reflect upon my relationship with my own child as well...none of us are invincible...and some show strengths better than others...that is Henry!
    Thanks to all that are putting together memorial drives in his memory; and to Stephanie and the children...our deepest condolences.
    Phil & Dylan

9. Coujer

Coujer Karting

Jul 19, 2004
    Carmel, CA
    Full Name:
    Laurent C. Richard
    wow... He will be missed and never forgotten.
    Never had a chance to meet him in person, but we talked a few times via this room. Really a great guy. We will miss him very much. My condolences to his family and friends.

10. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    For some of you who didn't know him well, click on "search" type in: htran
    and read some of his threads. EVERYONE of them show his personality. his graciousness, and what kind of guy he was.
    I think god took the wrong guy this time!

11. Devia

Devia Karting

Mar 17, 2004
    Orange, CA
    Full Name:
    Julie Sczesny
    I didn't have a chance to get to know Henry, but I can see how he has touched so many of you, with his selflessness and love of his family and cars.

I joined Ferrarichat out of love of my Exotics, and because of my health, I haven't been able to do much this past year.

But tonight, I see that Henry just kept in touch with his friends and the cars he loved, as part of his therapy. There's a lesson learned in that for me, and I'm taking it to heart.

Please keep us posted, for any Memorial services.
    Regards,

Julie

12. wmcalister1

wmcalister1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    My wife and I had the opportunity to have lunch with Henry and part of the Stockton group at Blackhawk. I agree that Henry was a fine and fun loving gentlemen that was a pleasure to be around. We had spirited discussions on his love of life and cars. He truly will be missed.

13. racey red

racey red Rookie

Jul 11, 2004
    Over the past three years, I had the opportunity to get to know Henry very well. I first met him at Crystal Cove when he was meeting some of his Southern California friends. The Crystal Cove car show was just in it's infancy stages at the time.

My family and I live in Crystal Cove. Often times after the show, Henry would come over to our home. We'd have some coffee and talk for an hour. We both shared a love of cars; a love of family and a love of life. I knew that Henry and I would be friends for life. I didn't know that our time together would be cut short.

At the Memorial Service, his brother Van said a few words (in English) about the Ferrari Club and the wonderful friends that Henry had made through the club.

I personally feel so fortunate to be part of such a great group of guys...individuals that are so caring and sharing of their knowledge of cars. The tragic loss of our friend Henry shows that it is not only cars that we have a love for... all of us share a love of humanity. This is what all of us saw and shared in the live of Henry Tran.

Let's all hug our loved ones a little tighter tonight.

I look forward to future tributes to Henry.

14. Yellow996TT

Yellow996TT Rookie

Jan 19, 2005
    Stockton,CA
    Full Name:
    Andrew W.
    Just wanted to say how sorry & sad I am to hear about Henry. He is actually a neighbor of mine(1 block away off of St. Andrews Drive in Brookside Country Club Community).

I haven't gotten to know him like all of you have, but we did talk a few times. One day, I was in the house and my mom said "Hey there's a gentlemen outside for you, he is asking who's yellow porsche is that outside" so I went to go talk to him. I noticed the sweet blue lotus elise and he said "Hi, I'm Henry, your neighbor down the street.....would you like to come to my house? I want to show you my cars....." I said "ummm ok".......so we went to his house and after showing me his cars, he went inside and said "This is Ferrarichat!", and that's how we met. He invited me to hang out a few times with the "Ferrari Guys" at starbucks and toot sweets, I was only able to go once. He always wanted me to bring the porsche around (even though I felt weird cuz everybody else had a ferrari) I never got a chance to really go on a drive or hang out with him again. He left a great impression on me, he turned me on to ferrarichat and because of him, i've decided to start buying my favorite cars and collecting them.

He was one of the coolest guys I've ever met and will always leave a lasting impression in my life. God Bless Henry!!

15. mustardfj40

mustardfj40 Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Northen California
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I am not fortunate enough to meet Henry Tran yet, but I checked out this board occassionally and saw his postings, I made a mental note to bring my Ferrari to one of his gatherings after I'm done with my 4x4 project (since it's blocking the way). It was nice to see another Vietnamese into Ferrari.

Rest In Peace.

/td

16. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    This posts old, but his brother is fighting to win an election tonight. And every time I hear or see his name, I think of this thread. I was very, very fortunate to have one of the last meals with Henry and his brother Van before Henry passed.

Henry was struggling but in good spirits. I told him he should go back on chemotherapy,but he said he couldn't it was too tough. I mentioned what my (now ex) wife went through with chemotherapy, and that going through that it would be worth it to spend 6 more months with my kids.

I found out shortly after he resumed chemotherapy. He died 1 month later. Sad, amazing, powerful, and eye opening all at the same time. I didn't know him well, but I miss Henry.

17. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I was wondering if that was his brother.

I still keep something on my desk that Henry gave me. I think of him often.