help me solve the bad-sounding-360 problem... | Page 2 | FerrariChat

help me solve the bad-sounding-360 problem...

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by noahlh, Jan 2, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. noahlh

noahlh Formula 3

Aug 28, 2003
    NYC, NY
    Full Name:
    Noah
    Got the car back from FoCNJ today, and it appears that all is well !!!

Here's the final diagnosis:

-- Timing was way off (647/667). Now it's back to 659/659, and that wonderful Ferrari wail is now back in full force.

-- BIG kudos to both WWoC (for diagnosing the problem) and to FoCNJ (for standing behind their work and making things good).

The only issue is that now, thanks to Mr. Rob "if it doesn't sound like a corvette it ain't worth driving" Ferretti, who insisted that the timing be advanced 2-degrees, the idle is a bit rough around the edges. I'm told there's a good possibility that the computer will self-adjust to this after a week or so, but if not we may have to go back to 657/657, which is factory spec.

I'll post new-and-improved sound clips asap...

--Noah

2. 4i2fly

4i2fly Formula 3

Apr 16, 2004
    SF, Bay Area
    I am glad they owned up to the mistake and fixed it right for you. I am curious I read earlier that someone told you the exhaust cam angles are 657 +/- 2. I read Ferrari's TSB for cam variator they specify a 652 at the bottom end in idle... Could someone verify what the cam timing should be when read through the SDII and its +/- tolerance? TIA...

3. noahlh

noahlh Formula 3

Aug 28, 2003
    NYC, NY
    Full Name:
    Noah
    Rob "659" Ferretti is hereby responsible for getting an answer to you on this and, if necessary, re-adjusting the timing himself.

:p

nlh

4. udalmia

udalmia Guest

Good to hear n-man, did you see the cs around there?

5. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Glad to hear that this has turned out well Noah. Now get that wh*re back on the street! :)

6. noahlh

noahlh Formula 3

Aug 28, 2003
    NYC, NY
    Full Name:
    Noah
    Yep..she was up on the lift, nursing her wounds. :)

nlh

7. Ferrari0324

Ferrari0324 F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    Finally! Congrats Noah, put that car back on the road where she belongs.

8. 4i2fly

4i2fly Formula 3

Apr 16, 2004
    SF, Bay Area
    It was Dr_Ferrari and a PM went to him to clarify.

9. Ferrari0324

Ferrari0324 F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    Noah, I remember you saying the car ran better after you got it back. Does it still run just as good after getting the timing re-adjusted?

10. noahlh

noahlh Formula 3

Aug 28, 2003
    NYC, NY
    Full Name:
    Noah
    Yup...shifting is still smooth and car runs as strong as ever (though the road was wet and her a$$ was all over the place when I pushed it)...

11. jptyke

jptyke Formula 3

Sep 28, 2004
    Manhattan, NY
    Full Name:
    Master P.
    Congrats Noah, Glad to hear the car is back and problem solved!

12. robiferretti

robiferretti F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    NYC area
    Full Name:
    rob ferretti

Your lucky i didn't tell him to make them both 667!

according to WWOC the correct # is 657 on both. Noah wanted better sound I wanted better performance. The resulting beast is what we came up with. Take her for a test drive yourself and give us opinions. www.gothamdreamcars.com

13. Johns

Johns Guest

Nov 2, 2003
    nj/nyc
    Full Name:
    Johnny East
    im still waitin for the right weather to take the baby for a drive:D maybe monday, or this saturday.

14. robiferretti

robiferretti F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    NYC area
    Full Name:
    rob ferretti
    while your waiting for the right weather check out www.gothamdreamcars.com and you can try out the Bentley in the rain!

15. MD355

MD355 Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2004
    Athens, Greece
    Full Name:
    MD
    #40 MD355, Mar 16, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2012
    Hi, even though I don't hang out at the EC forum, I've lived in NYC for 4 years so I feel entitled to post here as well... LOL

This is a very interesting thread regarding what can go wrong after a major service with the timing belts... (2002 360 Modena , stock exhaust, stock everything)

I have been having problems with the sound of my car ever since I performed a major service at the dealer...

Here is the before clip :

http://youtu.be/xis090OD5_s

(I drive leisurely at 2000-5000rpm and the sound is amazing... Typical low rpm "gargle" followed by typical exhaust "bark" when valves open !!!)

Here is the after clip :

http://youtu.be/xlCfmCiSoP4

(I drive very fast at 6000-9000rpm and the sound is still crap, Low rpm NOTHING... High rpm exhaust valves seem to open by they close again and the sound is crap... At leisurely 2000-5000rpm it is like a sewing machine not worth even recording...)

The dealer insists that timing is at 657... Independent confirms too that timing is normal too... (both checked variators I think = wrong)

So next week I am taking it to another independent to remove belts and check it again...

-I checked fuel pumps and both produce 3.5 bar pressure
    -Exhaust valves / vacuum work properly
    -I opened exhaust valves and the car sound different (milder) than before when exhaust valves were open at idle or at speed
    -No CEL warnings
    -Fuel changed many times
    -The problems started right after major service !

So what do you think could be wrong ? Am I the only one than can see the difference, because everything is trying to convince me that there is nothing wrong with my car... Help !