355 or 512TR | FerrariChat

355 or 512TR

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by jaturon, Jan 17, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jaturon

jaturon Formula 3

Oct 25, 2004
    Bangkok Thailand
    Full Name:
    Zane
    Remember vaguely that there was a similar thread but couldn't find it.
    However, I would like opinions on pro/con on these 2 models as I am thinking of adding another pony to my stable.

2. RacerX_GTO

RacerX_GTO F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Gabe V.
    Both cars have a different feel.

The 512 is a brute with massive torque, 3-point turns will guarantee an arm workout regiment. The 355 is nimble, agile, easy to zip around.

My suggestion is to take both cars out for a drive and see which one will work out.

3. widdlewade

widdlewade Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2004
    Bay Area/NYC
    Looking at your profile, it seems you have had 8 cylinders for awhile. The 512 is a 12 cylinder (If my memory is correct). See if you like the 12 vs. the 8s.

4. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    That's easy...the 512TR. Never settle for an 8 when you can have a 12!

5. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    512. Go with the 12

6. jaturon

jaturon Formula 3

Oct 25, 2004
    Bangkok Thailand
    Full Name:
    Zane
    I had 355 in my possession once for about 6 months but had to let it go for financial reason but I really enjoyed my drive in it.
    I test drove 512TR a few weeks back and as you guys say they are different beasts altogether. I love the feeling of V12, the acceleration, the wide body.

I love both cars actually and I currently have 328 GTS which I will never sell as it is my dream car.

I am quite tilted towards 512TR but have another problem, the garage.
    My garage is 5 metres wide and will fit 328 and 355 pretty ok although a bit tight but with 512TR then will be pretty crampy.

As there is one 512TR available locally so I probably have to ask the dealer to trial it out in my garage whether it would be realistic to fit both in or not!!

7. Tuco

Tuco Karting

Mar 10, 2004
    Texas
    #8 Tuco, Jan 18, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I hope garage space is not the predominate factor of which car you choose.
    You can always hang some nylon straps from the ceiling and pull yourself out the window. lol, you think I'm kidding! if it came down to being able to have a 512Tr to keep my 328 company. btw 328's are beautiful sexy cars in my book.
    I owned one.
    If it's spatially feasible get the 512Tr. You already have a car you can "zip" around in. Then you will also have a car with immense presence to cruise down to chang mai, phuket or wherever. If and when you make your purchase put a Tubi exhaust on it. A flat 12 with a Tubi makes a surrealistic heroic roar! And your perception of tunnels will change forever.
    And to quote another F-chatter (Harty)
    "A 512Tr is the closest thing to sex and violence on four wheels"!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Ron
  9. Pong

Pong Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Thailand
    Full Name:
    Pong
    512TR....Ho Ho Ho...then you will have 2 of the best looking cars ever produced krub.

Hope to see another 512TR during the next sprint then...:)

10. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    I have had both went from a 1990 testarossa to a 355 and it was easier to drive smaller and had pas but its a different driving car the 355 has to be reved to make it go in my opinion it was guttless the 12 cylinder has loads of tourqe and at low revs it just pulls away even on the motorway at 70mph the 355 has to be dropped a couple of gears to make it go but the 12 cyl you just put your foot down i kept the 355 for 2 months and bought a F512M buts thats my opinon

11. jaturon

jaturon Formula 3

Oct 25, 2004
    Bangkok Thailand
    Full Name:
    Zane
    Does anyone here have the exact dimensions of 512 TR in terms of:
    -front wheel to wheel width
    -side mirror to side mirror width
    -mirror width
    -door to door width (when closed)
    -rear width

12. Tuco

Tuco Karting

Mar 10, 2004
    Texas
    Just looked in my manual.
    indicates 1976mm at the widest point (rear fenders)
    It does'nt give the mirror to mirror width. but you can add 152mm to overall.
    2128mm . front to rear is 4480 if thats any help. also mirrors can be folded in.
    Hope this helps you
    Tuco

13. jaturon

jaturon Formula 3

Oct 25, 2004
    Bangkok Thailand
    Full Name:
    Zane
    On paper it seems that 512TR will fit in with 328 in my garage but would have to be careful when backing in.
    Now I will talk to the dealer about it.

14. Wildwarrior

Wildwarrior Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2003
    PA
    Full Name:
    Glen Winters
    Keep in mind that the side views fold in, and she will fit in an 8' wide garage!

15. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    just a word of caution on the 512 width....u better be thin....because you may be able to fit it into a space, but then you cant get out of the car ! has happened to me plenty of times in tight european car parks...

16. jaturon

jaturon Formula 3

Oct 25, 2004
    Bangkok Thailand
    Full Name:
    Zane
    Thanks and that is my main concern intially as I have to take into account the width that are needed for both 328 and 512TR doors when opened.