Becoming a new owner - which model/year? | FerrariChat

Becoming a new owner - which model/year?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Amer28, Jan 21, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Amer28

Amer28 Rookie

Jan 19, 2005
    Hello,

Thanks for any help you can be. I am new here and have looked through these message boards for a few hours without any luck in reference to my specific situation. As much feedback and opinions as possible would be well appreciated. Here goes:

I am ready to buy my first Ferrari but dont know which one is right for me. Simply, here are circumstances that apply:

1 - 44 years old and have been working on my cars and truck (mostly older) for years either to save money vs dealer/service shop or because it was easier for me to fix than to bring it somewhere. Older cars like a 68 Vette torn down and rebuilt from the ground up. 78 Landcruiser rebuilt with exception of engine. Ford/Chevy cars & pick ups - 84 and older almost always pretty easy with the exception of computer related pain in the necks. Have an 87 Benz 560SEL that has been relatively easy although I have never really worked on the motor and the electric has sometimes been a irritating. Other cars, etc basically pretty good with tools and many times better than some local mechanics (mainly because I care about what I'm doing).

2 - For this first Ferrari have between $20-30K to spend but would like to be around $25K.

3 - It would be great to be able to do my own maintenance including 15K, 30K miles major tune ups that I keep reading about on this site. This is not critical but would be nice (have 4 kids and great wife who like to spend money more than I do).

4 - Obviously reliability and most economical to fix would be great.

5 - Like the looks of the 308 GTS and I guess similar models. Love the Testarosa (sure cant afford now) but along those lines and style. I guess (from photos) I think the look of the 308 is sometimes a little too close to certain year Vettes - no problem but want it to look like a Ferrari no questions asked. Again though I like that look.

6 - I live in lower Delaware (great beach area) so there are no dealers even close and I probably have only seen maybe 2-3 Ferraris in the last 15 years. So far no one to really talk to about the car or to ride in one without a long trip.

7 - Pretty sure I will LOVE the sound and feel of these cars. Will really enjoy (I hope) driving it but will never need/use any of its real racing/speed so therefore any high end speed or handling aspect is not critical to me.

Thanks for taking the time to read this post and I appreciate any help anyone can be.

Regards,

Lance

2. F SPIDER

F SPIDER F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 30, 2002
    NYC, A'dam, W'stock
    Full Name:
    rijk rietveld
    Lance,

I would go for an "unloved" model like the Modial Coupe or a 400. You can get a better car for less money.I started with a 400i 5 speed and loved it. That being said, always buy the best car you can afford. There are so many things that can go wrong.

3. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    go for a 308, maybe even one that needs the major and you can do it yourself. alternatively, there is a guy on the board selling an 82 mondial for $15k which has to be a good deal.

4. tuck

tuck Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2004
    Personally, I would go for the 308 like you mentioned. It has gorgeous stunning curves. Besides, carburretor engines are usually an easier fix. Although it's not 'whoa' fast, it's quick enough and with a tubi exhaust fitted, you're sure to turn some heads.

But finding a good example even at 30k would be tough, I think.

However, if you need to throw in your kids, a 2+2 would probably be a better bet.

At the end of day, IMO, you should go for something that makes your heart beats faster. not something that tries to please everyone. Afterall, you've worked so hard, and it's only right to pamper yourself. my 2 cents.

5. PerryJ

PerryJ Formula 3

Jun 5, 2003
    N. Alabama
    Full Name:
    John Perry
    Diffinately a 308, and next to each other they look NOTHING like a vette, and drive even more differantly !!

Find a couple different ferraris in your price range to drive them and you will answer your own questions, drive a mondial and a 308.

It great that you can do alot of the work yourself, that can save you ALOT of $$$$$ ;)

Do some searches here, you can find a ton of info on these cars here at Fchat, I'm sure it wouldn't be to hard to find some owners to take you for rides either ;)
    TAKE YOUR TIME, don't buy the first one you see. Make sure it has records, there are a lot of dogs out there at first look don't look that different from NICE cars, but the more the learn the more you'll be able to tell the differeces.
    And lastly keep all of us posted on how the search goes !!

John

6. PerryJ

PerryJ Formula 3

Jun 5, 2003
    N. Alabama
    Full Name:
    John Perry
    Oh yeah, btw 308's have three different models,
    pre-1980 are carbed cars, sound is #1, a little tricky to get the webers set right but once you do they are great cars. #2 in terms of price.
    next from 1980-1982 the cars had fuel injection (hence the "i" as in GTSi)
    lowest priced of the 308's becuase they only had 2 valves per cylinder, (known as, 2 valve cars) can sometimes be had for around 20,000-25 for a "driver" car. But they are the lowest on HP.

Next in 83 comes the 4 valve cars, or quattrovalves (know as QV's)
    about thirty more horses from the 2v's, then the last change was the 84-85 qv's that had some minor changes but also had rust proofing (a big +)
    but also are the highest priced of the three (35,000-42,000)
    Hope this helps.

7. Bernardo308

Bernardo308 Karting

Jun 15, 2004
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Bernardo Sa Nogueira
  8. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Buy a 308!

The later QV models are probably the best and most reliable. Any bugs have been engineered out.

And buy the best car that you can afford. 'Cheap' Ferraris are never really cheap!! You can buy a cheap car that has no records, accident damage/repair, needs service, etc....and easily spend more money that buying a great car at a fair price. And when you are finished with the 'fixer upper' you still have a car with little documentation, no history, records, damage repair, etc...which will affect you ability to sell down the road.

9. Sean F.

Sean F. F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2003
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Sean F
    I second you buying Bernardo's car. Unless you get an early carb'd 308, you're not going to find one with as much power as his and it's in nice shape and serviced so you don't have to worry about that for a while.

10. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    While we are throwing in 308's don't forget about the 308GT4. Sold between 1975-1979 in the US, carburated, 2+2. Cheap (you should be able to get one under $20,000). More accessable engine compartment than the other 308 series cars. Handles better than the other 308 cars due to its longer wheelbase. Lighter as well.

Pic in my profile.

Dom

11. Bernardo308

Bernardo308 Karting

Jun 15, 2004
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Bernardo Sa Nogueira
    Thanks Sean...your car in the picture looks nice too :)

308 GT4's are great cars and the first Ferrari I ever drove, back when I was 17. I still remember the sound and how much fun I had. The biggest disadvantage they have against a 308 GTB/S, IMHO is that the 308 GTB's are much prettier...but that's a whole different argument!!

12. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Whatever you get, be sure it has 12 cylinders !

13. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    308 GTB. Very tossable. Lot's of fun. I drove mine 85K miles without too many problems. Best value for your budget is a 308GT4.

14. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    Buy the best car you can for the money, i.e., one that has been well maintained and is in good shape. Spend the extra money up front, as repairs and parts on these cars are VERY expensive. I got an '84 Mondial QV for a good price, but have had to put some money into it. Parts and information on working on the 308 are more readily available, so I'd opt for a 308, if you have a choice. If I had my druthers, I'd have passed on the Mondial and waited to find a 308, or a 328, to suit me, as parts for the Mondial are a bit hard to come by.

My $.02.

15. Kevallino

Kevallino Formula 3

Feb 10, 2004
    Mid-Ohio
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    All the advice above is good - I don't have personal knowledge of the cars mentioned but the early 308GTB/S or a well sorted 308GT4 ought to be in your budget.

You might want to check in some of the geographic-specific forums to see if you can get some rides in some of the cars you're considering. I know when I was shopping I drove some cars and the driving experience of the car I purchased was what sold me on it (certainly not reputation) and at least for me the driving experience is 99% of why I got my car. The other 1%, of course, is that I look great in it.

Enjoy your search and keep us posted!!

Cheers
    Kevin

16. PrancingHorseFan

PrancingHorseFan Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2004
    delaware
    sounds like you should go for the 308. now as for no dealers, i live up in the north part, and havent been down to the beach recently. last time was probably memorial day(i dont really care for beachs) anyway, somewhere in rehobeth there is a place that sell used high end cars. last time i went by it(memorial day weekend) they did have a 308/328 there or something very similar. you might wanna check that place out, i dont know its name, but i think its on the main road coming down to the beachs on the north side of rehobeth. hope this helps!

17. amslb182

amslb182 Formula Junior

Oct 3, 2004
    Ct
    Full Name:
    Andrew LeGrant
    Theres a black 308 GTS for sale in Ct, needs a little work but is a nice car and is available for about 20-25k. Not sure about the year though.

18. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Napolis rates 308GTB as "buy"...............

*scribbling notes*

19. Muteki

Muteki Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2004
    Guam
    I always recommend a 308 GTS or GTB to start with. I have a 1978 308 GTS, its a great ride. No one ever confuses it with a Corvette, thats for sure. They are pretty easy to maintain, parts aren't too expensive and it will definately turn heads. You would be amazed at how many people think its brand new, hahahah. I don't really suggest the 2+2 as a first car, I suggest it as a second. The reason I say this, most people who buy a Ferrari are in it for the sportiness. The 2+2 is sporty, but a 4 seater never feels as sport as a 2 seater. I suggest get your self a 308 GTB (hard top) or a GTS (targa top), then if you want a second vehcile get the 2+2 for your daily driver. A nice 308 should be between $30-$40, depending on the year.

20. jaturon

jaturon Formula 3

Oct 25, 2004
    Bangkok Thailand
    Full Name:
    Zane
    From your description, I think 308 would be perfect for you and agreat looking car also.

21. funshipone

funshipone Formula Junior

Jan 2, 2002
    Harrison Twp. Mi. US
    Full Name:
    John Bicsak
    #21 funshipone, Jan 22, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  22. Amer28

Amer28 Rookie

Jan 19, 2005
    To all for your help,

Thanks for all the input on the model/year question. I believe I will be going with the 308 GTS and it sounds like carbs are the way to go for me. This is because I would like to do my own maintenance and am more familiar and comfortable with carbs. Since I am still researching the "do it myself" maintenance part can someone please clue me in on what a "Major service" (15K?, 30K?) is? Are there any books and manuals available that a mechanically inclined person like myself could use (like a Haynes type book) to do this work competently. I have rebuilt a 68 vette and found it to be easy - am I therefore capable, with some time and the right printed info to work on my 308 myself?

Thanks again and you guys seem like a lot of fun!

One other note - I can forsee myself getting into trouble with this car. I was a pretty wild teen (hot cars, etc) but have calmed down a lot in mid age. I can feel my adrenaline perking up at the thought of the sound of going way too fast. This is especially funny since I have not gotten a ticket in about 25 years - and I know I will be getting a BIG one when I get this car!

Thanks Again!

Lance

23. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    Lance,

Feed your need for speed by taking the car out to a track and running it flat out. Believe me, once you've run it on the track, you won't feel like burning the road up. And remember, cars like the 308 are not dragsters, so you'll end up resisting the temptation to try to dust those kids in turbo-charged rice burners who seem to constantly want to challenge you at every traffic light. But it is fun looking in your rear view mirror and watching the panic in the eyes of the guys in SUV's who try to tailgate you around really tight high speed curves.

Regards,
    Steve

24. Muteki

Muteki Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2004
    Guam
    I agree, most of these newer turbo-cars will probably out run you in a 308. I get allot of people trying mine as well. I don't even try, because I know my car isn't to race street lights. Its a cruiser with some power. Now if they wanted to try me on the highway, I might oblige. As far as maintenance, I suggest getting a service manuel. There are some you can download for free at

http://www.ferrari.stevejenkins.com/books/

If you would like to see what you are getting into. Otherwise, you can shell out for a hard copy when you can find them. I find them rarely on Ebay. Don't bother buying the CD-Rom they adretise. I talked to some buyer and they said its exactly the same info on the link I just gave you. So, don't waste your money on those. Good luck and I hoe this helps.

25. brent Lachelt

brent Lachelt Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 6, 2003
    Brownsburg, INDIANA
    Full Name:
    Brent R.Lachelt
    This is very true. I bought an 82 308 gtsi for 20K. You know the ad great condition,needs nothing etc. etc. Well 15K later in repairs I had a great 35K Ferrari, but when I sold it to get my 328 I only got 26K. Take my advice, get records and a PPI. The 2 valve 308 is a bit slower than the carbed models or the 4 valve, but they are cheaper and it was a very dependable car. Just get a good one first.