URGENT Please Help! | FerrariChat

URGENT Please Help!

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by Orbitz007, Jan 21, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Orbitz007

Orbitz007 Karting

Oct 4, 2004
    #1 Orbitz007, Jan 21, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Sorry guys, but this is kinda urgent. I drove thru a pot hole up in L.A. last night, and these pics speak for itself. Well how am I a dead man? It wasn't my car and it's $3100 just for the front right wheel at Ferrari of Beverly Hills !!!!!!!! It's a 18" 3 Piece Modular wheel for a 360 Spider. So can someone please let me know where I can find a good deal? Please help. Thank you very much.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Ouch! Not sure if one of those wheel repair guys can fix that. Do a search as I think that Armen recommended a wheel repair guy to someone before.

3. Modenafan

Modenafan F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 19, 2004
    Moorpark
    Full Name:
    Jon
    My boss just hit a pothole. He owns a MB CL65. He bent both sides of one rim. He's taking it to Ron's Tires/N. Hollywood. They send to someone who bangs them out and repaints them. They need to look at the rim, but if they can fix it, it will be a fraction of the price. They quoted my boss a few hundred dollars. If you happen to call them, ask for Vic or Raul. Phone number is 818.980.2200. I've never used them, but you sounded desperate.

Good Luck.

4. Modenafan

Modenafan F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 19, 2004
    Moorpark
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I was just imformed that you cannot repair a magnesium wheel. I also spoke with David at Premier Motorsport. He told me you can pick up a set of 4 for about $2,500 - $3,000 if you look hard. He said he just sold a set of 4 last week for $2,500. Keep looking the wheels are out there.

5. dprestine

dprestine Rookie

May 8, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Doug
    You might try Wheel Enhancements in Culver City. Their business is straightening and refinishing wheels.

6. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I certainly wouldn't do this without telling the owner!!!

7. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    You do plan on telling the owner, correct? If you are thinking of just getting the wheel replaced and not telling him, I think you are making a big mistake. If he is a friend he will understand as long as you make it right. But, there could be some damage to the suspension and it could be dangerous. This needs to be checked out as it looks like a pretty good hit. Also, look on ebay for the wheels.

8. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Wheels America is nationwide with a 24 hour turnaround.

I agree that disclosure is MANDATORY to whoever trusted a car like that to someone who doesn't watch out for potholes........

UHHHHH, THIS IS YOU...........

However they will tell you if it is repairable........maybe, looking at your case.....any deformation of the bolt circle due to forces transmitted thru the spokes is trouble.....

HTH....good luck.

9. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    If I was the owner, I would want a new wheel - That one is cracked now.

10. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Maybe HE's the owner and he just wants to fix it "economically".........:rolleyes:

You know, one of those financially challenged 360 Spider owners........

11. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I'd say his chances of the alignment being unchanged by an event like that are...........................zero.

12. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    That would make it a $3,100.00 pothole.............let's mark the GPS coordinates.........

13. Bmyth-FDC

Bmyth-FDC F1 Rookie

Oct 4, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Byron
    If it's in LA, you can call 311 to report it to the mayor, then file a claim with the city street maintenance division.

I hit a pothole over the weekend as well - I'm thinking about calling them as well.

Good luck.

Byron

14. Orbitz007

Orbitz007 Karting

Oct 4, 2004
    Hi! Thanks for the feedback and yes the owner knows about it because he was in the car. My friend is being extremely generous about it, but I still feel that I should pay at least 70% of the damage. He claimed that it wasn't my fault because he asked me to drive since he didn't feel too good.

However, I just can't allow myself to cause such a damage to a car I love so much and let my friend covers it. I will sure to call around with all the info that everyone provided! Thank you very much. Take care.

Jason

15. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    Jason, that changes everything...........

1.The owner asked you to drive.
    2. He wasn't able to drive.
    3. It was truly a pothole.(Wasn't sure you just were telling us this)
    But, he must have witnessed it.

He should pay at least 51%

16. 20C4S

20C4S Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 5, 2003
    I wouldn't want to fix a cracked wheel, especially for a high performance car like this.

17. JERRYZ

JERRYZ Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    wouldn't this be covered under comprehensive insurance?

18. FastRed355

FastRed355 Formula 3

Oct 3, 2003
    Westwood
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Jerryz, excellent suggestion. This should be covered by insurance. In this case he should get the best work done. Possibly new rim, alignment, any other messed up parts, body work, etc.

19. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Right, but isn't this kind of a sticky situation? The guy lending his car is being a nice guy and now he takes a hit on his insurance? Some people wouldn't care and who am I to say but it would seem that the guy borrowing should assume responsibility to get things back the way they were. Obviously not everyone would agree and this guy may not mind. Maybe the borrower's own insurance will cover? Is the owner the only one supposed to be driving it?

It's a tough one but a risk the lender and borrower take with an expensive car. No offence but there is only one way to avoid this predicament........ It's a good lesson for us all and this isn't designed as a lecture. It sounds like you are taking good measures for the owner and that's commendable. Good luck with finding an inexpensive solution.

20. FastRed355

FastRed355 Formula 3

Oct 3, 2003
    Westwood
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I agree, the driver should check his insurance. It may cover him for any vehicle he is driving. Also, a comp claim is not a moving violation, hence no points against the claimant. I recently called my insurance, AAA, to see if during an earthquake my car is damaged by falling objects, if they would cover. They said no problem, that is what comprehensive is for.

21. sparetireless

sparetireless Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    If you can find a set for $3k, get it, it is worth more than that. The rim you show cannot be fixed safely, parts are not available. Dealers will generally not discount it either. I had to buy a rear rim for mine for a much lesser situation. Sorry for your luck. Good thing the car is okay otherwise.

(If anyone has a set of 4 for $2,500 I will take them all day long.)

22. Orbitz007

Orbitz007 Karting

Oct 4, 2004
    So if my friend files a comprehensive insurance claim, will his premium goes up? Please let me know. Thanks.

23. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    First, take these pictures, write a letter on behalf of the owner, send it into the city immediately. Speak with someone on the phone if you have to so you establish some kind of communication with the city and where to send the photos and information.

They will advise you to persue this through insurance or not and your insurance will look to the city for reimbursement. Advantage is you get it fixed sooner without waiting for the City to act. A comprehensive claim for something like this does not count against your record since this didn't happen because you kerbed it, or something your fault.

The City will want to deal with the owner of the vehicle and so you're probably going to use his insurance if you need to.

A similiar situation happened here in Burbank to someone I know two years ago, new rim and tire paid for by the city, but after filing a claim and having it replaced by insurance so the car could be used right away.

Sunny

24. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Oh good, that makes me feel better - Glad to hear the owner already knows.

What a bummer.... Hope you can get things fixed without too big of a hit to the wallet.