550 Spare Tire | FerrariChat

550 Spare Tire

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by dwilliams, Feb 3, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dwilliams

dwilliams Karting

Jan 20, 2005
    Altadena, CA
    Full Name:
    Dennis E. Williams
    I recently purchased a 2000 550 Maranello. I was a little surprised by the fact that there is no spare tire. I noticed in the owner's manual that there is a provision for a small "occasional" spare that fits in the trunk space.

If I opt not to carry the spare, what do you do if you do have a flat? What are the best kinds of "fix a flat" cans to purchase?

2. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I brought a spare from our local dealer. I think it cost around $1,500 or so. I thought about putting run flat tires on, but this was not recommended at the time. But things change so you might want to check on this.

Dale

3. teachdna

teachdna Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2001
    Cincinnati
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Robbins
    Under the floor of the trunk there should be a tool kit as well as a little package with the tire sealer pressurized can in it. That package is about the size of a loaf of white bread.

4. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    I find the spare tire a nuisance as it juts out and renders the trunk almost meaningless.

Keep a fix-a-flat can or two, maybe a plug kit, and beyond that, whatchu gonna do?

--Dan

5. garysp7

garysp7 Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2004
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Keeping two cans of flat fixer should take care of one flat providing you have not torn the tire to shreds.
    The other option is to keep good twoing insurance and the number handy along with your cell phone.

6. 550syd

550syd Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    #6 550syd, Feb 5, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I always carry a real spare tyre. Look what happened when I went for a drive a few months ago. When the rear tyres deflate it's very difficult to detect until it's far too late. Front tyre deflations are much easier as the car will pull to one side.

The rear Pirelli just got too hot and ripped itself apart. At least it stayed on the rim, otherwise it would have made a really big mess!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    I think the ONLY thing a 575 has over a 550, is the tyre pressure monitoring.

At least you get advance warning in cases like Syds.