Personal Car-Lift Recommendations | FerrariChat

Personal Car-Lift Recommendations

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by Nationaltec, Feb 2, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nationaltec

Nationaltec Karting

Dec 22, 2003
    North County
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    I was curious if any F-chat members have installed a personal Car-Lift in their garage?

The wife and I finally bought that dream home we've always wanted and I'd really like this installed before we move in. ...but... I'm really worried about the safety issues... Especially with kids around !

For those F-chatters that missed the tour of "Lou's 308 project" after a Crystal Cove meet last year , his told us a story about his brand new Car-Lift that came crashing down and bent his recently restored project car. (OEM defect) He's lucky to be alive..! but that story still gives me the creeps !!
    FYI - Lou got the money for the car and had them pull it out permanently!

Any suggestions or preferred vendors would be appreciated.

Thanks again..
    Patrick

2. FastRed355

FastRed355 Formula 3

Oct 3, 2003
    Westwood
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I recently did a F-chat search. There is a lot of information out there.

3. sirbob

sirbob Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2004
    South Orange County
    Full Name:
    Jim
  4. dprestine

dprestine Rookie

May 8, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Doug
    I installed a Superior 4 post lift a few months ago. Purchased their narrow model. Quite satisfied.

Installation in LA with earthquake concern. Used angle iron braces from top of front and side posts to front and side walls of garage plus red head bolts into the floor. Very stable unless the whole building shakes down.

When lift rises, it ratchets into mechanical stops at all 4 posts rendering a drop impossible should a cable fail.

Cost was about $3k delivered. Paid $700 for 3 gorillas with a hoist to install. Install not hard, but pieces are heavy to handle. Took the properly equipped gorillas 4 hours. Ran the aforementioned braces myself attaching to the posts at existing bolt points. Ran to another section of angle iron lag bolted to 3 studs each in the garage wall.

Think you would be quite satisfied. Believe the 4 post version is more stable than single post version -- especially when bolted to garage walls. Important for those living along the San Andreas.