How does the 360 honestly compare | FerrariChat

How does the 360 honestly compare

Discussion in '360/430' started by Dan Ciezniewzky, Feb 11, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dan Ciezniewzky

Dan Ciezniewzky Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 6, 2004
    Indianapolis
    I was searching around nsxprime and came to this
    http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45419

It seams pretty honest and truthful, not totally biased like you might assume.
    I have an NSX (found ferrarichat through nsxprime) and am looking to get either a Challenge Stradale or maybe a F430 in the next year or 2, but would like to see what some of you have to say about this.
    It seams that a 97+ NSX isn't too far off a 360 Modena, and if you throw on a SC (6k-10K depending on brand) there's not much of a difference. The SC brings the hp to about 360 hp for the NSX.

I understand this is ferrarchat and that's nsxprime, but all biases aside, all they realy that similiar...with or without the SC??

So what do you guys think??

Dan :)

2. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Shouldn't you be getting ready to blow a country or two up? Get with the program...

--Dan

3. Dan Ciezniewzky

BANNED

Sep 6, 2004
    Indianapolis

hahhaa no...well maybe ;) for now just maybe blow'n the NSX ;)

4. udalmia

udalmia Guest

a nsx or any car can match the 360 for speed with the modding etc etc but nothing comes close to the feel of driving a ferrari

5. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Drive both. Then spend your money on what YOU think is the best.

6. johnbob

johnbob Karting

Nov 8, 2003
    Oklahoma
    I would hate to even guess how many sports cars I have owned, none have compared to the "fun factor" of the 360. I currently have an F-40, Twin Turbo TR and an authentic 427 Cobra; all are awsome cars in thier own way, but if I could only have one car it would be a 360 Spider (6-speed). But that is just my opinion.

7. tiger 6

tiger 6 Karting

Aug 7, 2004
    virginia
    Full Name:
    Stephen C Darrah
    Dan,
    I own a 1992 NSX which was purchased new at the time.It is stock,and I also am fortunate to have a new '05 360 Spider.I have talked to a number of people over the years about modifying the NSX with Comptech mods and all the other stuff required.All I can suggest is that if this is done,you will have a different and not necessarily "better" NSX. It may be faster, but not by as much as you might think.Also, the reliability of the car will be lessened to a certain degree and will reqire considerably more "tuning" to optimize the performance on the street vs. the track,particularly with the suspension.If you purchase an NSX which has been Compteched or modified in some other way, rest assured that this car has had some hard use. I am not knocking Comptech or any of the other after market supplires for the NSX as I think they,for the most part,provide good products for the money spent.
    As has been said,there is a world of difference between a 360 and a NSX,stock or modified.I would suggest that ,if possible,you try to drive both cars,look at the cost,maintenance required,decide what you want to do with either car-street,track,or both-and go do it!
    Good luck.

8. Dan Ciezniewzky

BANNED

Sep 6, 2004
    Indianapolis
    Thanks for your replys!!
    I already have a 01 NSX, I was just wondering what you guys though about how it would compare against a 360 if it was SC, since alot of people at nsxprime didn't seem to think it was that big of a difference, especially if it was SC.

For now I'd like to get a CS (maybe F430, but unlikely) in a year or two; or maybe even a 6.0, but like I said in a year or two. Things could change by then.

Thanks so far :)
    Dan

9. W00dEar

W00dEar F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 24, 2004
    LI, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    if all you are asking is, if NSX supercharged will match the speed of 360, i am sure it will.
    but any car can be made faster than 360, some come from factory faster already. who cares.

10. Dan Ciezniewzky

BANNED

Sep 6, 2004
    Indianapolis

not just speed, but performance in general. In the link a few guys said how to them the 360 doesn't handle much differently and they really can't see the big difference that everyone makes it seem like.
    There no doubt that the 360 is better and faster in general to the NSX, but I just wanted to find out how much better, and if it's really that noticeable.
    On the track I'm sure it's huge, but other than that what's your guys opinions regarding the differences.

I haven't driven a 360, so I'm just trying to find out. There's no dealers around Indy, and if I went to Chicago or somewhere else, I doubt they'd be too accomidating to me now.

11. buzduz74

buzduz74 Karting

Apr 19, 2004
    Boca Raton
    Full Name:
    Buzz Marcus
    I had a 2000 NSX GREAT car but not the fun and just plain raw power and sounds, handling and power of the 360 Modena I now own. NSX does not perform much better with SC. Really no comparison.
    Buzz
    2000 360 Modena
    2003 Mini Cooper s
    2005 Harley Ultra Glide
    ITS Mazda RX-7 race car

12. markymark360f1

markymark360f1 Formula 3

Dec 15, 2004
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Mark
    IF you need to justify your NSX stay in your comfort zone. I enjoy my 360 Spider and have no regrets regardless if a porsche can beat me 0-60 etc....

13. W00dEar

W00dEar F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 24, 2004
    LI, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    to be 100% honest, i never even realize modena or ferrari in general is reguarded a "great handling car". i do know NSX is often regarded "best handing car" by magazines yrs ago. so in that dept i have no problem thinking nsx is better.
    as for speed, i am sure modena is faster, but would not by that much either, what is it, high 12's vs low 13's? small difference. and gotta remember nsx did that with 110hp less, pretty good if u ask me.

dat being said, i can say nsx is a better value, i can say nsx will outperform modena with few mods, etc etc etc. but in the end, those 2 cars are not in the same class, period.

14. HoboPie

HoboPie Karting

Apr 16, 2004
    The 360 is quicker than an NSX in a straightline or on the track no question. With mods I am quite sure the NSX could be quicker as I think the NSX-R is at least as quick on a track as the 360.

As for handling the nsx is considered a good handling car, but it isn't the only car that has received awards for handling. In a handling test done by R&T a couple years ago, the 360 won. This was done by a professional race driver and it as up against cars like the 996 911 Turbo and even more impressively the Lotus Elise.

I don't know about you, but beating a Lotus Elise in a handling comparison is pretty impressive to me.

If you start talking CS there is no comparison.

15. Hunters360

Hunters360 Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2004
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    James Wardwell
    JohnBob hat serial number is your 427 Cobra. i just bought won at auction.

16. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    Have a 360, two close friends have NSX's--and we have gone on extended mountain drives and swapped cars.

To me, the 360 is just slightly "more raw" or "more alive" than the NSX. It is something that numbers just don't quantify. In an NSX you feel the pebble, in the 360 you can count the bumps on it. The brakes grab just that much harder, the acceleration is just that much more urgent. The 360 is staining at the reins to go faster, the NSX is content to gallop.

Considering used late 90's NSX are under 50K, there is no doubt which is the better value. The law of diminishing returns applies, but I think the 360 is just that little bit better.

However, the NSX is a GREAT car--I am thinking about purchasing an early 90's version for a track car.

17. 4RE Bob

4RE Bob Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2004
    Muskoka, Ontario
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Had a 95 NSX-T for 6 years. It was black. It was beautiful -- the 2nd best car I've ever owned. It was balanced, fun, entertaining, but driving my Modena is an event -- makes me smile every time the garage door opens.

18. Dan Ciezniewzky

BANNED

Sep 6, 2004
    Indianapolis
    Thanks, for the replys :)
    It confermed what I thought that the 360 was indeed better by more than what the guy in that nsxprime post seemed to make it.Although there was a disparency in the effect of the SC, you guys seem to say they make little difference, but nsxprime guys tend to noticed more or a difference, maybe it's just all the power of the Ferrari that made it seem less, so I'll take some time and figure that out and see if it's worth it.

With such high praise of the NSX, I think I'll keep the NSX when I get the CS a lil down the line, hope it doesn't spoil the NSX for me, but almost eveyone that sells there NSX seems to regret it a few years down the line, some of those guys are here too :)

Thank you all kindly for your help :).
    Dan