What's the longest period of time you have let your Ferrari sit? | FerrariChat

What's the longest period of time you have let your Ferrari sit?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Husker, Feb 11, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    What is the longest period of time that you have let your Ferrari sit in the garage without being started?

Me: 4 weeks. It's parked in the body shop for a simple hood re-spray, and won't come out until the job is done correctly. :(

Next question: Does it harm the car to sit for a month without being started?

2. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Other than when it was in the shop for a major, I have never not driven my Boxer for more than a 2 1/2 week period and that was only because I was on a two week vacation on Virgin Gorda,BVI. Drive them or sell them to someone who will!

3. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    Longest for me was ten months when I did the engine-out rebuild.

Other than that, there have been times where I don't get the chance to drive the car, 2, 3, 4 weeks at a time.

If my car sits that long, it takes more effort to start since its carb'ed (float bowls are bone-dry, so they take forever to fill). I let it idle a bit longer than usual, but after that, no problems.

4. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    living abroad my boxer has sat for as long as 13 months. But this has been in a dehumidified ie below 30% sealed plastic bag. All fluids are changed prior to staorage and fuel has stabil in it and a bit of fogging oil for the cylinders.. After 13 months unsealk car put battery in turn key and everything worked fine. Drove car to shop changed fluids again drained gas and hit the road. Every year car sits in this manner for 5-7 months. As long as fluids changed low humidity and full maintanace nothing gets hurt, except tires, but 50 psi for storage miminises that. Maintanance is done based on time not mileage.

5. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Three weeks. Only because I was on vacation for two weeks, and then came back to a slew of work, which meant I was unable to take it out the following weekend either.

6. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    About a week, usually when it's at some shop having work done to it. Normally it gets out several times a week.

7. scott1967

scott1967 Karting

Jul 12, 2004
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Mine has been sitting unstarted since October 1 for winter storage, but spring is around the corner :) :)

8. 4RE Bob

4RE Bob Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2004
    Muskoka, Ontario
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Mine's been away since mid December. And spring does not appear to be around the corner. Our groundhog saw his shadow.

9. MARQ

MARQ Formula 3

Feb 9, 2002
    East Coast US
    Full Name:
    Marq
    Two weeks without being started.

10. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    No more than two weeks, and usually not more than a week, without being started and/or driven.

11. smsmd

smsmd Karting

Nov 12, 2003
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Steven Scates MD
    3 weeks max, stays on battery tender all the time. I try to start it at least weekly. More often, it feels even better.

steve

12. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Two weeks, due to being away or to bad weekend weather. Driving the car is definitely addictive!

13. GDautosport

GDautosport Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    NJ
    about 2 weeks...

14. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Ron
    3 weeks...bec. of work, etc., that interferes with the hobby.

15. Tuco

Tuco Karting

Mar 10, 2004
    Texas
    4 weeks due to weather/work.

16. Muteki

Muteki Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2004
    Guam
    Ok, I win. I have done a ground up restoration that didn't break my wallet. My 308 has been on blocks for almost 5 years. I should be completed this summer. Before that, it was my daily driver, so the longest it sat was maaaaaaaaaaaaybe, 15 minutes.....hahaha, seems about right though.

17. stevehuck

stevehuck Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2004
    Sterling Hgts, Mi
    Full Name:
    Steven Huck
    Not so fast. The 365 was torn apart in 94. Hope to be done late summer

18. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    Mine's been Sitting sicne I got married (no comments =) 16 months and counting...spring wont be here for another 21/2 months. So we're lookin at about 18-19 months =(

19. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Year and a half. I know, bad Ferrari owner.

20. spidey

spidey Karting

2 weeks. After that I get major withdrawal symptoms. A peek of sunshine and the car is out on the road.......

21. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    11 Years!!!!!!!!!!!!! Basiclly you don't own a Ferrari anymore!

22. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    This is a sore issue with me, at the moment. When I bought the 328, it was my summer daily driver. It would go maybe two months over a New England winter without being driven, but I'd start it up to charge the battery ... and to hear the engine.

But every time I've taken the car for a service, it's come back running worse than when it went in. I had it taken to a good shop last fall to have it fixed, but since it runs, they said they couldn't find anything wrong. For me, though, it runs so poorly that I can't stand to see what it's "sunk to".

After considerable research and delving into manuals, I've concluded that I don't like CIS, and nobody can repair Marelli. So if I have to do my own service, I'd have to put in a full EFI system that a computer geek can maintain. ;)

But why are the standards at shops dropping to the point where "just runs" is "good enough" on a performance car? (Yes, I know: just look at gridlocked traffic.)

It seems as though the standards for all consumer goods and services are going into the toilet, while the average consumer is happy to pay increasing prices for declining quality. Are people getting stupider by the week?

Yes, I'm ranting. But it seems that diagnosis is a lost art: Cars, Internet service, phone service, etc. -- in a throw-away culture, nobody knows how to fix anything. (Think about that next time you go to a doctor.) :p

Italian cars are always better off being run than sitting. It keeps the seals lubed, etc. Alfas are notorious for losing brake and clutch master cylinders when they sit for a long time.

23. flyingboa

flyingboa Formula 3

Nov 27, 2003
    Italy/India
    Full Name:
    Eugenio
    OK, lte me make some considerations...
    Before I bought it, previous owner had the 328 for almost 7 (seven, correct) years on his garage, climate controlled, started every week by a guy who takes care of his cars.
    I bought the car while I was living abroad becausa of work, so for the first 8 months it was a drive out per nonth (average). Since I am back... Daily driver!!
    Ciao

Eugenio

24. funshipone

funshipone Formula Junior

Jan 2, 2002
    Harrison Twp. Mi. US
    Full Name:
    John Bicsak
    Winter time about 3 weeks. Summer never it must be driven as much as I am able to drive.

25. phong69

phong69 Karting

Aug 17, 2004
    Raleigh, NC
    Full Name:
    Phong Nguyen