550 Exhaust.. | FerrariChat

550 Exhaust..

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by exiges, Feb 17, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. exiges

exiges Karting

Feb 26, 2004
    Midlands
    Full Name:
    David Brown
    As we all know, the standard 550 exhaust is a tad quiet.. and I know that most of you guys recommend the Tubi.

The trouble is, I tend to chop and change my cars all the time and don't want to splash out £2000+ for a pair of backboxes (which lets face it, are overpriced for what they are, even if they do give lots of enjoyment) only to "lose" that money in 6 months time.

So..

1) Where's the cheapest place to get a Tubi ?
    2) What are the more cost effective alternatives to a Tubi ?
    3) Does anyone know where I could perhaps get a 2nd hand Tubi or similar ?

All help gratefully received.

2. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    ebay is an option for a used one but search

ferrari exhaust
    ferrari muffler
    ferrari auspuff

as different countrys have different names

3. Welshman

Welshman Karting

Jan 27, 2004
    Worcestershire
    David

The two back boxes are £1,250 plus VAT - the guy at Tubi gave me the price the other day. He said that would be pleasantly louder and didn't recommend changing the middle bit let alone the front bit of the system.

4. exiges

exiges Karting

Feb 26, 2004
    Midlands
    Full Name:
    David Brown
    Does that £1250+VAT include fitting ? Otherwise it may still end up near £2000 once you paid to have them put on..

Thanks for Ebay advice SteveF, I have looked on their for 550 Exhaust(s) but not "muffler", not sure I'd want to have them flown over, I guess it depends on how much of a saving.

Edited to say: Larini offer a 550 exhaust system (2 back boxes) for £996.. anyone tried them ?

5. gareth t

gareth t Karting

Nov 10, 2004
    south wales
    Full Name:
    gareth thwaite
    what about having one made by hayward and scott?
    they make some very nice one off systems

01268 727256 worth a phone call

6. LWR550

LWR550 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    East Sussex
    I had a Tubi fitted to my 575 three weeks ago... £1250 + £35 (mounting kit) + VAT = £1509.88 Fitted all-in.

Speak to Manu at Scuderia Systems (he's an FChat sponsor)

http://www.scuderiasystems.com

As for losing the money if you sell in 6 months time... I would offer the following opinion/advice however you wish to take it.

1. I would suggest that most people who know the 550 market would pay a slight premium for a Tubi, if there were two comparable cars for sale. Maybe not recover the full £1509.88, but at least some recovery of cost

2. Tubi is a known brand. In my opinion you may struggle to recover any cost and may see a discount if you fit a non-branded/custom made exhaust. Perhaps Capristo excluded. Just my opinion.

3. You've already stumped up quite a bit of cash for your car - I firmly believe the marginal cost is well worth the marginal enjoyment you'll get from the car with a nicer exhaust note. It transforms the car.

4. I have the factory 8 speaker hifi upgrade in my 575. I haven't listened to it since having the Tubi fitted.

LWR

7. Ferrari Mackintosh

Ferrari Mackintosh Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2004
    N/A
    Full Name:
    Ferrari Enthiusiast
    EXIGES,

For a cost effective alternative I would suggest WWW.STAINLESS-EXHAUST.COM They charge around £800 for a complete exhaust system. I've just had one installed on my old mans 512TR and it sounds absolutely incredible. We paid Verdi Ferrari to fit it (UK Tubi Distributors) and they were very reluctant at first. The moment it was installed, my dad had a phonecall from Karl Verdi and he said I repeat - "ASH THAT EXHAUST SOUNDS AWESOME"
    To describe the sort of sound I hear I'd say it's about as loud as the F40 Tubi (very loud), and really bassy, not a hollow sound and sounds like a traditional Ferrari note and not a motorbike.

8. MarkCollins

MarkCollins F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 2, 2002
    South England
    Full Name:
    Mark Collins
    David

The cost of the Tubi for a 550/575 has dropped recently because they changed the spec to resolve a back pressure problem but at £1300 or so it's still ridiculous, all they do now is take out the back boxes and replace them with straight through pipes! Had I have known i'd have gone to QV in Ascot, they do a similar product for about 1/2 the price

Also it sounds like a Max power Nova at idle (but much better once going :) )

9. ronnie rumple

ronnie rumple Rookie

Feb 3, 2005
    I have one for $3200.00 give me a call at 18669289919 ext 138

10. LWR550

LWR550 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    East Sussex
    Are you sure it's just straight pipes instead of mufflers? (Going to garage to check under my 575)

11. exiges

exiges Karting

Feb 26, 2004
    Midlands
    Full Name:
    David Brown
    Update:

I called a local company called Damax who supplied the challenge exhausts for my 360 + F355. (They race-prepare Ferraris for WCSC and Ferrari Challenge series)

Turns out their exhaust supplier is currently producing some for the 550 this week.

Price unknown, but believed to be between a half and two-thirds the price of a Tubi - and near indistinguishable sound wise.

Maybe worth a call for anyone interested.

12. 456mgt

456mgt Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2002
    Cambridge UK
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    If it were me, I'd put the Tubi on it. Keep the OEM system and swap out the Tubi before selling it. Sell or keep the Tubi. This is not a place I (personally)want to be making economies; these cars cost so much to run, it's important to maximise the enjoyment from them every time you start them up. It's not just the sound either- Tubi know what they're doing and I'm damned if I'm putting my mechanicals in the hands of an unknown.