Age you were when you first drove a Ferrari | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Age you were when you first drove a Ferrari

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by cdallen2004, Feb 19, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. nickdtm

nickdtm Rookie

Mar 21, 2004
    Annapolis, MD
    17... '86 Euro TR. Incredible car.

2. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    29, and I was lucky enough to buy it.

3. patpong

patpong Formula 3

Jul 6, 2004
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Full Name:
    Patpong Thanavisuth
    28... when I decided to buy my first exotic car. I tested drove the Lotus Esprit S4 and the Ferrrari 348. The Lotus was more enjoyable plus I am kind of Lotus fan. So the decision went to the Esprit. Until 10 years later, I got the chance to buy this 308. I bought it and did not even care to ask for a test drive. I would take it at any condition at all. That's how much I love it. It got a lot of problems and I NEVER regret it... not even a little bid.

4. Kevallino

Kevallino Formula 3

Feb 10, 2004
    Mid-Ohio
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Timeline for me:

308GTB in Road & Track December 1976 (I was 16);
    saw what I now know is a 275GTS in Portland when I was around 19;
    drove a 355 spider for my 40th birthday - rented in Sydney by my fantastic better half - drove it as you would normally drive a rental car....
    drove a Chiaro_Slag's 328GTS last April, drove fiercsm's 348ts in May 2004, drove and bought my 348 spider late May 2004, drove Chiaro_Slag's Testarossa last year sometime.

Been hooked since that bloody R&T came out, and had been crapping on about having one ever since!!! Look forward to continue sharing mine and swapping rides with others - that's what they're for.

Cheers
    Kevin

5. cubbyman60

cubbyman60 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2004
    LA
    drove my dad's 355 spdr before he put it away this winter. Didn't get to drive too far. The tubi was hilarious, bikers flinch as you drive by.

6. GTI WR6

GTI WR6 Karting

Jun 29, 2004
    Manchester
    Full Name:
    Tamzeed
    20......2004, 360 Modena F1 in Malaysia.

7. RP512TR

RP512TR Karting

Jan 11, 2004
    FRESNO
    Full Name:
    Ross
    The first time that i drove a Ferrari was when i was 18, It was a red on tan 1992 512TR and it is the exact car that i own today.

8. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Got a few hours driving an Fchatter's 328 the day after my 24th birthday.

First ride and subsequent obsession was at 20.

9. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    16. 750 Monza with a Corvette engine. I can still feel that Long Island night rushing by.

10. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    Like a few others here I had to buy one first. I was 25 when I got my Azzurro 328.

11. jimmy b

jimmy b Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2003
    On a plane
    Full Name:
    James
    At 34, after looking for the right Aston Martin for nine months, I saw and drove a black 348, realised it was what I should have been looking for all along, and had to buy it. Now on 3rd Fcar since then, and considering which one to have next...
    J.

12. Nicke

Nicke Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2005
    Hellsinki
    Full Name:
    Nicke Forsell
    That would be at 25 ! The F car was a 360.

Nowadays I'm waiting for a chance to drive a vintage Ferrari... i can just imagine it allready...

13. alx355gt

alx355gt F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2004
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Alexander
    First passenger ride was in 1993 when I was 16 in a 348TS... when I was 17 I got a ride in a 328GTS, later in a 550 Maranello.

First driving experience was in 1997 in a 328GTS at the age of 20.
    Since 1999 I drove many miles in my favourite, a F355 Spider...
    All were rental cars!

Great memories... :D Looking forward to own one myself now...

14. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    62 - the Mondial I bought.
    The wait was long but definitely worth it.
    John

15. Ferrari328

Ferrari328 Rookie

Jan 1, 2005
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Mikael
    39 years young when i drove one the first time. 40 when i bought one. :)

16. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    The tender age of 29...during the summer of 96. Drove a 328GTS and a 348Spider. Both belonged to customers at the bank that I worked for at the time.

Now that I think about it, that summer was quite memorable since one of my customers was an exotic car wholesaler, and he would show up with a different car every week.

Good times!!!

17. j15

j15 F1 Rookie

Jan 5, 2005
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Jeh
    I'm 16, dad has a 355 GTS F1. He got the bug 3 years ago saw the ad, and bought without ever having driven one. 3 years ago, i got the bug too. I've never been allowed to drive it, or barely even touch it, but im greatful just to be part of the experience of being in the family that owns one.
    He said "when your 18, and if we're on a quiet street, and no ones around, i might let you take it for maybe 10 minutes." Since he said that, my entire life has become directed to one purpose, driving that car and eventually buying my own one day. I joined F-chat to enhance the passion and to get even closer to the genius, poetry and speed of a 355 by driving it for even just a small amount of time would be the greatest privledge

18. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
    I was in my late 20's and visiting friends in Manhattan. He had a 328. Beautiful little car in canne de fucille. We took it down from the garage, warmed it up on the street and he proceeded to take it straight up to 85mph. No big deal, except we were on Park Ave in the middle of a spring afternoon!! Not very responsible but what a kick! Then he let me drive for an hour or so, mostly around Manhatten. The biggest impression I had was
    "Oh, this is what a rock star feels like". I had had some nice cars but had never been in anything that attracted attention like that. I felt a bit uncomfortable with it but remember walking away from the garage and kind of missing the "juice" of attention. Someone described it as a "guilty pleasure" one time and that pretty much sums it up for me. It can be a nuisance or even embarrassing if you are not in the mood, but its a thrill to see the pleasure on peoples faces and see the positive excitement these cars bring out when people see them.
    Over the next years I drove and considered a testarossa and a 348 but they seemed so cramped and just did not thrill me. It was the 550 that hooked me. I still remember where I was the first time I saw one. A couple of years later it became my first ferrari.
    Hi, my name is John. I am addicted to the sound of ferraris.......

19. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Many years ago I was walking through midtown Manhattan (the only way to travel, aside from the subway, IMO) and I saw a red 308 heading across town in the usual traffic. The only thing I could think was, "boy, isn't this the worst place to be driving a Ferrari....."

20. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I'm waiting for the chance to drive a 360 or other late model Ferrari.

First-ever drive or ride: March 15, 2003, when my 330 2+2 was delivered from CA and I drove it home from the delivery point. Me--Age 53 then.

21. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    20 years old

1958 500 Testarossa. Originally fitted with 4cyl engine but this one had a 12 cylinder that was installed when it was still a works car.

I drove the car around Mosport and it was the first time I had ever driven both a Ferrari and a Right Hand Drive car! Needless to say the odd gearchange nearly opened the door:)

22. tuningwerks

tuningwerks Rookie

May 16, 2004
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Albert Roxas
    19 years old - by bro's 91' Testarossa....amazing, scared as hell...but amazing.

23. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    I was 40 and it was 5 years ago. I test drove a 1983 Mondial Cabriolet that was for sale at $29k. A bit overpriced I thought; it seemed to have a few issues. I drove it like an old lady so I didn't really get a lot out of it. I was like that with my Lotus too at first, but after almost a year of constant problems, I realized it's okay to drive it hard as I never knew when it would be down again. It's been "reliable" the last 3 years now and I drive the snot out of it!

I hope I get another try at driving a Ferrari; now I feel like I'm up for the task!

Ken

24. ashsimmonds

ashsimmonds F1 World Champ

Feb 14, 2004
    adelaide, australia
    Full Name:
    Humble Narrator
    #74 ashsimmonds, Mar 13, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  25. JH

JH F1 Veteran

Nov 14, 2002
    Odense, Denmark
    Full Name:
    Jonas H.
    In a Mondial when I was 14, a 355 when I was 15 and 2 weeks ago in 360.