Urgent Is this too cheap | FerrariChat

Urgent Is this too cheap

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by grahammac, Feb 19, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. grahammac

grahammac Rookie

Feb 19, 2005
    Hi All

Just registered and this is my first post.

Just been offered a 360 spider 04 reg with 2000 miles on the clock. The guy is a dealer, but only in your average second hand used cars..appart from a couple of mercs and a range rover.

Story is he purchased from someone desperate to liquidate thier asset, he's owned it for 2 weeks..says there is no finance owing and is totally genuine motor.

I am viewing Sunday...what shoud I be wary of..would any outstanding finance be visible on an hpi check after just 2 weeks..he is also taking it into the ferrari dealer for some ( small ) warranty work and has said I can call them for any inspection.

Wants £96,500...too good to be true...any help or advice greatly appreciated.

Graham

2. rico

rico Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Bournemouth
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Seems a good price.

Verdis have a 02Spider with 7k miles for £88500

but also a new 04 Spider with 0miles for £124,150

3. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Hi Graham and welcome to Fchat.
    If it sounds too good to be true it usually is. I don't know enough about HPI checks to answer the finance question but 2 wks doesn't sound long enough for the car to show up if it's been repossessed. Go and have a look, check out ALL the paperwork at the dealers . Try not to let your heart rule your head as £96 k is a lot of money to blow if things don't check out properly.
    Good luck
    Rgds
    Tony

4. grahammac

grahammac Rookie

Feb 19, 2005
    Hi Tony

Thanks for quick reply.

Really need to know about this hpi thing and how it works. He seems keen not to deal with "dealers" possibly because of low offers or maybe something they might know that your average buyer(me) wouldnt be aware of.

5. KenC

KenC Formula 3

Dec 7, 2003
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Ken
    The car, without extras would have cost £115k.

I would exercise great caution with this as it is being sold for under trade price, which I would estimate to be the high side of £100k. On the basis he has bought to trade and make a profit, this means he would have needed to have bought at about £90k, leaving the original purchaser with depreciation in about 6 months of £25k. There are cheaper ways of raising cash, so you should ask why this route has been taken.

Ken

6. Dale

Dale F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2003
    uk
    Full Name:
    Dale Juan
    Graham welcome to f-chat,hpi check dose include oustanding ££££ owed on the car also was it wruten off etc,just made a phone call to car dealer friend to check for you.

7. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Looks like our Ferrari man Dale can help. Nice 1 m8. Graham ,can you PM details of the car to Dale ?

8. grahammac

grahammac Rookie

Feb 19, 2005
    Thanks Tony

Have just pm'd Dale

Graham

9. F308 MAN

F308 MAN F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2004
    Isle of Man
    Full Name:
    Dave S
    hello ... the HPI thing is not as "watertight" as many people think ... there are failings within the system......The use (and abuse) of personalised registration plates is a time honoured example.
    Go check ALL the paperwork, as tony suggests, ensuring EVERYTHING is available to look at before you set off.
    Search the previous owner details on the documentation ... then go and pay them a visit for a "wee chat".
    In my personal opinion, the last thing to physically do, is actually view the car.
    regards, d

10. jeffQV

jeffQV F1 Rookie

Feb 13, 2004
    NZ
    Full Name:
    jeff

great advice, get it checked 100% before your head rules your wallet! Good luck

11. Dale

Dale F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2003
    uk
    Full Name:
    Dale Juan
    Graham ive pm'd you m8.

12. Ade

Ade Formula 3

Jan 31, 2004
    UK
    Firstly check V5 for country of first registration, check its UK sourced and not an out-of-EU RHD import. Then check who sold it orginally from documentation, then call:

1)Dealer who orginally sold it.
    2)First owner (if you can track them down)

check they are all happy with situation.

HPI only warrant the first 'X' amount if it turns up stolen, which means you will lose most of your cash even with their guaruntee.

13. closeshave

closeshave Formula 3

Nov 13, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Davy J
    #13 closeshave, Feb 20, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  14. Rod

Rod Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    South Derbyshire
    Full Name:
    Rod
    Graham

Give me the reg no either by return or PM me and I will Complete a Full HPI for you.. (I own a car sales garage)... It would show outstanding finance if any and give the details of the lender, also any plate changes can also be checked for accident damage/finance etc etc...

Regards

Rod

15. acpes

acpes Formula Junior

Aug 11, 2004
    west 12cylinderville
    Full Name:
    Andy
    For what its worth, I had a good look in the Sunday Times Drive supplement at the Ferrari prices (as I do every week) and this price does look too low for the car you've described. It's either the bargain of the year or highly dubious (and being the cynic that I am, the second option sounds more realistic).
    Ther'es some great advice and offers of help in here (which is impressive) and all I can say is PLEASE don't part with any cash until its rock solid.
    I hope it turns out to be genuine and look forward to seeing the pics as and when.
    Good luck
    Andy

16. exiges

exiges Karting

Feb 26, 2004
    Midlands
    Full Name:
    David Brown
    It's not amazingly cheap.. 6-12 months ago it would have been more suspicious.

You try selling a 360 Spider back to a main dealer and see how they break yoru heart. I would guess the dealer would offer you low £90s.

With the advent of the F430/Gallardo prices aren't what they once were.

17. SLSteve

SLSteve Rookie

Feb 21, 2005
    Norfolk
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Hi, new to thread,

my advice would be to finance the vehicle even if u dont need to.

If you use a reputable company like lombard, they will not lend the money on the car if there is any money oweing or the dealer is dodgey. If there is a problem them with ownership etc it will be there problem.

If finance is not required still buy with finance on a variable rate so there are no early remdemtion charges and then settle finance after 3 months.

if the dealer is sh8t Lombard wont agree the money

stevie b