Does It Pain You To Find An Abandoned Child? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Does It Pain You To Find An Abandoned Child?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by ghost, Mar 22, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I don't like breaking complete cars. But now that the damage is done, I don't see the point in selling the rolling chassis for someone to butcher. I'm sure that there are parts that are long past unobtainium.

Dale

2. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Who,

My point was this was a pretty nice older car that was complete. Having watched Tom Yang restore his, its tough to see a very similar car broken up. Once Tom S. buys them they are his to do as he pleases with them. Its just tough for me to watch.

My car is on a similar rung of the Ferrari food chain and I would hate to think that if I sell it the car might be lost forever.

Art S.

3. Andy

Andy Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    It looks like the rolling chassis went for $20k. GTEs in good shape are selling for $70-80k. So is TS getting more than $60k for a complete drivetrain?

4. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    Amazing how the Ferrari "world" always acts like their cars are so "above" other lowly marques like Corvette or Mustang. But in the end, the almighty Ferrari gets chopped up and parted out all in the interest of making a buck just like any other car.

Tell me honestly, in this day and age, does anybody know of anybody who is taking a completely intact mid sixties Corvette and removing its original engine and selling it off just to make a few bucks?

Sounds like there is much more demand for completely intact mid sixties Corvettes than there is for certain V12 Ferraris.

Ouch, that hurt didn't it!!!

5. DMC

DMC Formula 3

Nov 15, 2002
    WI/IL
    Full Name:
    Dean
    Was the Ferrari 250 engine used in any Fiats? There isn't a whole lot that's specific to a Corvette engine. Except for the rare L88 or LS6, you can source a 327, 396 or 427 very economically. You could make the analogy that the GTE is the equal of the Camaro in the Chevy world, and the SWB's are the equal of Corvettes.

FWIW, it appears that GTE #4221 is not going to be parted out. A guy on Tom Yang's site already owns a 330 engine and transmission. He bought 4221 from Tom and is going to make his own "330 America" driver.

6. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    That will make a great Hot Rod.

7. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    Not really true. Every Corvette after about 1960 has the serial number of the car stamped into the engine block. Once the original block is gone, it is gone forever, just like a Ferrari. (Unless of course the original block can be tracked down, which is a slim proposition most times.) That's why cars with documented original engines are so difficult to find. And that's why many will cringe at the thought of disecting a Ferrari and removing its original engine forever. Once gone, nearly always gone forever.

8. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Arlie, you're comparing an entire make to a particular model that happens to be the most collectible model of that make. This comment...

...doesn't make a fair comparison. The GTE is not to Ferrari what the Corvette is to Chevrolet. Can you tell me if you know of anybody who is taking a completely intact sixties GTO, SWB or California Spyder "and removing its original engine and selling it off just to make a few bucks?" Now, if you had substituted "Chevrolet" for "Corvette," it would be a fair comparison.

To everyone else here, I apologize for being a troll-baiter.

9. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    You can buy a brand new 427 crate motor and stamp whatever engine number you want into it. That is why there are far more "original matching numbers" 427/435hp Corvettes out there than were ever built by the factory.

Where is it you can purchase a brand new 330 Ferrari V12 crate motor again?

Oh..... right. :)

BTW: why are we ALL feeding the troll now?

Terry

10. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    Go back to the mid sixties and you could probably find many examples of people pulling V12s out of those "old worthless" race cars in order to drop them into gaudy hot rod show cars. (Check out some old Hot Rod magazines.) Therefore, there are very few of these cars left. Fast forward another 10 years and I'm sure people will be saying, "Can you believe that guys were actually pulling engines out of completely intact 250s just so somebody could make a replica or have a spare!"

OBVIOUSLY, somebody pulled a V12 out of a 250 LWB spyder way back when: http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52362

Some Cajun hot rodder was probably drooling at the thought of dropping a V12 into his 32 Ford coupe and didn't give a second thought to saving some wrecked foreign car. Will dropping a V12 out of a 250 GTE into this spyder make it back original again? NO. Not any more than dropping a non-original 427 crate motor from GM into a 1967 Corvette will make it "all new again". What's gone is gone and it ain't never coming back.

Where is it that you can purchase the ORIGINAL motor that came out of any particular Ferrari? You can't!!! Because once the original is gone, it's gone forever. And no amount of wishing, restamping, or reproducing will ever bring it back. It works that way with Corvettes, Mustangs, Camaros, and Ferraris as well.

Of course if you believe that one can simply RESTAMP any original number that you wish;.......well then, I guess that one can counterfeit anything that somebody wants badly enough. And if you're doing that on a Ferrari;....well once again, that just proves that the Ferrari world isn't above doing the same sort of low life things that the Corvette world is also doing. Birds of a dishonest feather flock together.

11. bill365

bill365 F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Chicago area
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Actually, anyone that is half way handy can restamp 327 or?? numbers on the myriad of motors around. Voila, matching numbers! The old V-12's are getting hard to come by, so they get them wherever they can. Try to find a set, or hell just one good 330 head.

Pretty soon the 250's and 330's are going to rise in value, then where will they get the motors from? They'll just pay more, eh Tom???

Regards,
    Bill

12. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Great! So, once again, there is peace in the valley. :)

Dale

13. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Arh, I feel all warm and fuzzy :) ... now I can sleep at night again.

Pete

14. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Back when I was into old Brit bike crap, I had a guy offer me a set of dealer stamps. I asked him what they were for, and he said that every dealer used to have a set of these to restamp crankcases whenever someone threw a rod. The end result looked just like the factory when you used a blank NOS case because, well, that's how the factory did it.

Truth is, what so magic about having matching numbers? Last time I looked, motors where made out of metal. Do the carbon atoms in matching numbers bond with each other?

Dr "Looking to see if my numbers match" Who

15. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    Didn't an 1894S dime just sell at auction a few weeks ago for several million? And isn't it just like other dimes with the exception of a few numbers and a mint mark? And isn't the only difference between a documented LeMans racer and a kit car the numbers on the chassis and the serial number tag? And isn't that difference equal to several million dollars?

16. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Horsefly,

Have you recently discovered that you were adopted or something?

You are still who you are ... that can never change :). Now rest easy please

Regards
    Pete

17. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    The vintage guys on Tom Yang's site don't seem to be as understanding toward chopping up a good car as the guys here on F-chat.
    http://www.tomyang.net/cars/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=970
    But this IS America, and if somebody wants to buy a nice car and chop it up, that's their option.
    This all gives me a great idea. I'll produce a pay-per-view TV special. I'll buy a new Enzo Ferrari and build some giant "jumping ramps" about a mile long each and a quarter mile apart. Like Evil Knievil used. We'll have the Enzo driven by remote control at about 180 mph. We'll charge "on site" admission at a few bucks a head, and sell the pay-per-view and/or commercial sponsorships, whichever makes more money. Then will build up the hype and hoop-la with dancing girls and celebrity commentators as we start the "Destroy the Enzo" show. After whipping the crowd to a frenzy, we'll start the mint condition Enzo on it's one and only rendevous with total destruction. Won't it be a wonderful thought knowing that so many people will enjoy seeing the beautiful mint condition Ferrari destroy itself as it fails to hit the landing ramp at just the right angle to prevent total destruction.

And the best thing is, it will all be cost effective. Just like when somebody chops up a vintage Ferrari. They end up making more money that it costs, so everybody is happy.

Right???

18. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I'm not happy about it ... but I am happy that it has been saved.

As for cutting up an Enzo ... who cares?, Ferrari can still make you a new one.
    Pete

19. yale

yale Formula Junior

May 2, 2004
    New York City
    I am sure someone has said this before but there is a reason he named himself horsefly as he likes to buzz around horsesh% t. Most times someone else has to call you that, he just has more self knowledge then most. Yale

20. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Horsey.

Can't you find some other pot of **** to stir??

No one here is jumping on your case, helping you raising a ruckus.

Why don't you wander back to P&R and leave us peaceful vintage folks alone???

DM:)

21. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    That's my name because I do not "worship" the Ferraris, but I do enjoy their style and heritage. Instead of letting the great thoroughbred prancing horse legacy rave on in an unchecked fashion, the Horsefly bites the noble steeds rear end occasionally to give him a reality check. I grate against most Ferrari buff's nerves because I make note of the constant contradictions in the Ferrari world. Like they way many enthusiasts place Ferraris on a higher pedestal, yet the cars are just a way to make a buck like any other car, even if that means chopping them up like a Corvette or Volkswagen. Or the way that people extole the virtues of concours originality, yet they look the other way when certain cars and/or people are in question.

22. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

AND THAT'S WHY WE LOVE HIM!!!

DM

23. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    I still think the user name Horsefly is not appropriate.

Can we vote to change it to tsetse fly instead? He's not nearly as big as a horsefly and he does seem to cause sleeping sickness...

24. barchetta

barchetta Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003

Getting back to the original discussion. Does anyone know if the GTE in question was a matching numbers car? If so, it would be a damn shame to pull the original drivetrain from the original chassis. (Surely, there must be a 250 engine and transmission somewhere to use as a substitute motor for said 250 SWB.) However, if it was not a matching numbers car, I would not have any objections to swapping the non-matching drivetrain for another non-matching drivetrain. In this case, the new owner is opting for a 330 motor; a la 330 America. Certainly not the worst possible outcome.

25. yale

yale Formula Junior

May 2, 2004
    New York City
    I don't agree that all you are doing is knocking down the Ferrari legacy. For one, this is just a hobby celebrating something that we enjoy, why try to knock it down or bring it down to earth? That is what regular life is about for the most part. I own no Ferrari clothing and in fact hate the snobby boy racer or rich old gent Ferrari thing but it doesn't mean I have to tear it down. In fact I can't imagine going on anybody's forum and tearing down what they obviously care about and I am a fairly intemperate New York City type of person.

This really isn't about you providing some kind of service or however you see it, it's just being bored and needing to stir up some entertainment. That's not particularly admirable. Yale