Plazma or LCD ? | FerrariChat

Plazma or LCD ?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by parkerfe, Mar 22, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I am planning to replace two TVs at home with wall mounted flat screen TVs. We currently have a Sony XBR53 rear projection and use DirecTV with TIVO and plan to continue to use TIVO with the new flat screens. There lies the potential problem. With the TIVO we often pause the screen for bathroom breaks, snacks, telephone calls, ect...for up to 30 minutes or so. The kids will sometimes forget and leave it paused for a couple or hours or so. While we want to get a large 50 + inch screen such as you can get in Plazma, we are afraid that the TIVO pausing will cause "burn-in" with the Plazma sets. For that reason, we have been looking at LCD TVs which are currently only available up to 46 inches max. My question is, who out there has a Plazma TV and TIVO and can advise of their experience and whether or not pausing has caused any burn-in?

2. cairns

cairns Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2003
    Potomac MD
    Full Name:
    George Williams
    I have not experienced any burn in in about two years of fairly infrequent use. With that said, Sony does offers up to 60 inch LCDs now- I will be getting a 50 inch LCD for our basement but a smaller (37 inch) plasma for the bedroom. My concern with plasma is the (what I have heard) limited life span. The plasma we currently have is a 42 inch Sony.

But...lifespan is not really a concern for me as I think the technology is moving so fast in five or six years I'm sure I'll want the Wasma or whatever the next thing is anyway. I think plasma has a brighter, better picture than LCD but they do cost more as I'm sure you realize. Check the Sony website for the new LCDs- they are bigger, relatively thin but not really (IMO) wall mountable. Would have to be a heck of a mount.

3. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON
    HIT SEARCH, AS THIS HAS BEEN DISCUSSED SEVERAL TIMES

4. 4i2fly

4i2fly Formula 3

Apr 16, 2004
    SF, Bay Area
    I have one of the early professional type plasma Sony and it has a screen saver built in. I don't know if the new ones offer that.

5. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    definitely useful data in the archives, frank.

net-net - both technologies suffer from burn-in. lcd is less susceptible, but definitely susceptible.

part of the burn-in problems reported anecdotally are that people don't set up their displays properly - they're WAY too hot/bright and this exacerbates the issue.

i've been using a 50" poineer for over 40 months and have had zero problems - including who knows how many hours a day of PBS logos and the like on the thing from the kids' shows.

doody.

6. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    cairnes, the LCDs I have looked at so far are thinner and lighter than the same size plazmas making the LCDs better wall-mounts than plazmas.And, LCDs cost more than the same size Plazmas, not less. 4i2fly,how would a sceensaver help if the kids left the TIVO paused for two hours? I really want to hear from someone with TIVO and a flatscreen Plazma so I can see if they have had any burn-in problems. So, no one else out there uses TIVO? Since IMHO it is the best thing to happen to TV since color, I was assuming everyone was using TIVO by now...thanks to TIVO I havn't seen a commercial in years!

7. senna21

senna21 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Charles W
    There was an article in the Wall Street Journal online in regards to this question. You can do a search if you subscribe and get the article. They seemed to feel that the LCD was superior. Price wasn't given the weight in the debate that it would with most people though.

8. 4i2fly

4i2fly Formula 3

Apr 16, 2004
    SF, Bay Area
    I have a PFM42B1U which has a screen saver independent of the receiver. Mine is only a monitor and must be hooked up to a TiVo or DTV satellite receiver (I have both). I believe when the screen saver is invoked with the monitor the picture moves even when watching a still shot. I have had mine for about 4 years now and few thousand hours logged and although we do not pause we have yet to see any issue with the picture.
    When I was buying one LCDs were not yet introduced so I cannot compare the two.

9. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    I found some interesting information here the other day... http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=pcmcat8400050000&type=category

I didn't really understand the differences between LCD and Plasma until I read some of the stuff here. Makes sense, and according to what they are saying, burn in is or will be a thing of the past.

Looks like LCOS is the "New Kid" to watch now!

10. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    I have both type of TV, but I really don't see the difference in quality of pictures. I don't even hang my Plasma TV on the wall anyway. (afraid it might fall someday, like my Bang & Olfsen stereo did 5-6 years ago)
    Cost performance wise, I think LCD is better bet, if you don't require a monitor to be hanged on a wall. Also LCD is easier to connect other devices after installation, too.

11. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    I have posted a few times in response to this question. To me, the plasmas are not normally set up to look "filmic," but instead look artificially overbright. Some people like this look- it usually "pops" when you are in a showroom, to distinguish one set from another- but it's exhausting to look at, imo, and is really unnatural. On the other hand, LCD's which have improved considerably and gotten bigger, are not great for off-axis viewing (ie not sitting in front of the screen, but to the side) and probably won't do quite as well in a room with high ambient light.
    The best picture you can get, believe it or not, for a reasonable price, probably comes from a relatively small conventional CRT (19" or less) or front projection. The latter requires a darkened room, but, given the downward trend in pricing of decent DLP projectors, you can go front projection for far less cost, and get involved with far less complication, size and complexity, than systems 5 years ago, which, for the most part, were large 3 gun CRT projectors with considerable bulk, noise, heat and expense.
    I have my system "tuned" to look like what you'd see in a good movie theatre, so while it's got a fair amount of light output, it tends to look different than Big TV, if you get what i mean.

12. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    TigerAce, we do want to hang on the wall so the LCD is our best bet as it is thinner and lighter than plazma . However, I would like a screen bigger than the 46 inch max now available in LCD. But, if I go plazma, I'm afraid of burn-in caused by pausing with TIVO.Whart, according to most info I have found on the internet, LCDs are better than plazmas in bright light. But, in my case that is not a major issue. And, I still can't believe that none of you FChatters use TIVO with plazma or LCD screen TVs!

13. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    "And, I still can't believe that none of you FChatters use TIVO with plazma or LCD screen TVs!"

Guilty. Plasma + DirecTV - TIVO. Silly, really.

Does LCD do a better job than plasma with non high def channels? I've always found our plasma to be great with high def, great with great DVDs, and not all that great with everything else. The thing just reproduces its input too accurately.

14. pdiack

pdiack Karting

Nov 19, 2003
    I have a 50 inch plasma (Panasonic) and Tivo (HD version), and love it. I have only left it frozen for a while a couple of times, but haven't seen any burn in at all. FYI - plasma's do much better than LCD in well-lit or off-axis viewing.

15. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    That's good to hear. How long have you owned the plazma with TIVO connected? And, how many hours per week would you estimate that your plazma TV stays on? And, how often would you say you use the TIVO pause and for how long? I want to be sure plazma is right for my family before I go out and buy two at over $5k each!

16. cbrody

cbrody Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Southampton, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Frank,

The tivo isn't going to be a concern to you requarding a plasma. It will not burn in unless it is left on pause for weeks.

I didn't want to get into this again because of the other thread that was about this.

As I said in that thread I've been dealing with Plasmas / LCD's for over 7 years now. We install tons of plasmas. Never have had one issue with burn in.

Hope this helps

17. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Thanks, and I hope you're right. What got me concerned to begin with was the sales clerk at HiFi Buys showed me burn-in of plazmas they had on the show room caused by the little tickers at the bottom of the screen on Fox, CNN, ect... But, those showroom TVs are own 12+ hours per day. By the way, at around 150 pounds each a ton of plasmas and LCDs is only 13.3 TVs. LOL :) Seriously, why do you think there are all those warnings about plasma burn-in in magazines and on the internet if it isn't a real concern?

18. rcd01

rcd01 Rookie

Aug 22, 2003
    I have a 42 inch Plasma in my living room and a 27 inch Sharp LCD in my bedroom. I like both equally as far as picture is concerned and have never experienced burn-in in the 4 years owning the plasma. The plasma I have has anti-burn technology which as far as I know is in some of the plasmas but not all. It is a manuel operation and I have never had to used it.

19. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    has anyone heard of this brand?

20. Murph

Murph Formula 3

Apr 26, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I still watch a lot of channels that are not broadcast in Hi Def.
    A non HD broadcast on a plasma screen looks terrible.
    Is the non HD signal any better on a LCD?

21. traimpz348

traimpz348 Formula 3

Apr 13, 2004
    Avon,CT
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    lcd is not susceptible. You cannot burn a liquid pixel. That's why computer monitors are LCD.

LCD's cost more and offer less color contrast and weak blacks. They are bright, but generally on comparable models a Plasma will out perform an LCD. If you want to play video games, the LCD is the way to go.

Look beyond mass-market displays. Sonys are nice, but check out Marantz - they offer a great Plasma displays.