308 Front Control Arm Removal/Installation | FerrariChat

308 Front Control Arm Removal/Installation

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by hanknum, Feb 24, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. hanknum

hanknum Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Henry
    I've removed my upper control arms but noticed to remove the lower, the mounts have to be removed due to no clearance for the control arm bolt.

My questions is...when I install, can I just instll the lower control arm bolts in the opposite direction so that they can be more easily removed in the future? Does anyone know if this would cause any problems? Dave, Rob, any input here?

Thanks

Henry

2. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Henry
    If you install in the correct direction, they'll be captive if something should come loose. Having said that, from memory, these are the only bolts that have that virtue, front and rear so I'm not sure I'd pay it particular attention.
    Sorry, I don't recall which way round I put mine!
    Philip

3. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2001
    La mamma dei fessi
    Full Name:
    e sempre incinta
    It shouldn't matter but as was already mentioned it's that way incase the nut should back out. I had originally put mine in the easy way and then decided it should be turned around the way the factory did it. There is always a reason engineers do things the way they do.

4. stacy

stacy Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    halifax
    How did you guys torque the suspension bolts after installation. I don't see any way to get my torque wrench on any of those nuts the way they are together. I had to use an open end wrench to get them off.

Thanks,
    Stacy

5. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Stacey
    Same way you did - feel. Torque those that you can access (like the rears), get the feel for tightness (with the wrench/socket you'll use on the fronts) and get as close as you can.

By the way, if you strip/snap/replace one of the bolts, use a 10.9 or other high grade bolt with the correct thread length.
    Philip