Ferrari F355 Dyno's 313.8rwhp/225rwtq | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Ferrari F355 Dyno's 313.8rwhp/225rwtq

Discussion in '348/355' started by RossoCorsaItaly, May 18, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lusso64

lusso64 Formula 3

Apr 12, 2004
    Simi Valley
    Full Name:
    David
    Man I love that sound..... :)

2. bripab007

bripab007 Rookie

Feb 22, 2004
    I'm not sure I understand what the hubbub is all about. A front-engined, RWD car will show a ~18-22% drivetrain loss, while a mid-engined, RWD car will show a ~15-19% drivetrain loss. That would put a 375bhp, mid-engined car at around 304-319rwhp.

So, I would say 313rwhp seems right in line.

3. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Dyno dynamics. 3 different 355s with 4 different exhausts, btw. Just goes to show, dynos are just a number! You can calibrate them to read what you want.

4. JSL

JSL Formula 3

Jan 5, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    J.S. Leonard
    Who cares? My car is pretty FAST! The way I like it. May not take a muscle car off the line but they can watch my tail lights fade into the distance as we progress.

5. RossoCorsaItaly

RossoCorsaItaly F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    LA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Exactly. My point with posting the dyno was just so F355 owners and enthusiasts can have an idea of what their cars put to the ground on a dyno.

Forza,
    Kevin

6. bripab007

bripab007 Rookie

Feb 22, 2004
    So, what exactly is the issue here? Why is this thread two pages long, and why isn't it in the technical Q/A section?

7. RossoCorsaItaly

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    LA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    No issue just a friendly discussion on thoughts about the power of the F355. Dyno numbers aren't technical in my opinion but if this is where the thread belongs, the moderators can move it.

Forza,
    Kevin

8. bripab007

bripab007 Rookie

Feb 22, 2004
    I see; I guess I was reading more into a few of the posts than I should've.

That's an odd thing to say...

9. RossoCorsaItaly

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    LA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    They really aren't. If I'm reading the technical forums of most forums including this one I expect to see how to installs, specific information on comparing different brand parts, technical information. Dyno numbers are just a "statistic". Similair as to how I wouldn't expect somebody to post 0-60 times in the technical section I don't think dyno numbers belong in there. If moderators disagree they can move my thread. Just my opinion :)

Forza,
    Kevin

10. Llenroc

Llenroc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Vern
    I have always know that also Brian. Do you know the particulars behind that? is it mainly software tuning in the ECU(S) to meet our smog regs. Its seems the hardware pistons, cams etc. are the same. My question is based on the 355s

11. Steve B

Steve B Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2003
    Naperville
    Full Name:
    Steven L. Biagini
    This was true at one time when the emission standards were stricter in the US. However, within the last 10 years or so, the standards have become similar and US and European cars have the same compression ratios, cam timing and horsepower. The only difference in horsepower relates to the measurement base, SAE net vs. DIN.

12. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

Wrong.

The motors have big signs on them when they are on dollies at the factory that say "USA". The factory dyno report sitting on my desk say's " MOTORE USA MY2000 F1 F131B.010.

It goes on to say it made 373 HP (368 SAE) at 8500 and 37.3 (270 Lbs.) KGM at 4750.

I can also tell you that having driven USA and base model 360's and 550's back to back there is a considerable performance difference.

13. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    There was an interesting post here about later model US spec 550's having a small catalyst in the exhaust manifold, which is not a feature of European spec cars. If correct, this would certainly have an effect on the performance of US spec cars and is a good example of why more than cam, compression and capacity have a bearing on power outputs.

14. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

I know that the ECU'S are different as to the other specifications I don't know. I do know cam timing is the same. A US and a base model 355 are not that different in performance so I suspect the specifications are not drastically different.

Ferrari often did not tell us that there were or what the differences were unless it was required for us to do the job, something like cam timing. I do know of many cases where we were specifically told there no differences when in fact there were. Often the only way to know is to look in the parts book.

We were not told for example that starting in 2000 the cars came with a precat located in the exhaust collector of the cars, all we knew is that all of the sudden the cars were not as fast.

I do know that a base version 360 and a US 360 feels like 2 different cars. And when you start removing access panels it looks like 2 different cars.

I also know when you start fooling with cam timing they start coming alive.

15. lusso64

lusso64 Formula 3

Apr 12, 2004
    Simi Valley
    Full Name:
    David
    Brian, by this are you suggesting that there are benefits to be obtained by performing cam changes in these later models (355 ->)? If so, do you have any specific details?

Thanks, Dave

16. RossoCorsaItaly

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    LA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    #41 RossoCorsaItaly, Jun 9, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  17. lusso64

lusso64 Formula 3

Apr 12, 2004
    Simi Valley
    Full Name:
    David
    That flat spot around 6krpm is very evident when driving. And I thought it was all in my mind!

Dave

18. FIAutoSports

FIAutoSports Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2004
    Baltimore, MD, US
    Full Name:
    John Ritenour
    #43 FIAutoSports, Jun 9, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  19. RossoCorsaItaly

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    LA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Dave's got something up his sleeve for an F355 Twin Turbo project last time we spoke. Just have to find the right project car :). That's all I'm going to say though.

Forza,
    Kevin

20. Capt

Capt Karting

Nov 9, 2003
    North of Boston
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I just ran through this thread and didn't notice the dyno results with the new manifolds, was that ever posted?

Thanks!
    Michael

21. RossoCorsaItaly

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    LA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Michael,

No, hopefully today or tommorow at the latest.

Forza,
    Kevin

22. RossoCorsaItaly

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    LA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Okay guys BIG update. The car made a huge improvement on the dyno. We only gained 18whp at the peak but we gained alot of low end HP and torque at some parts we had over 25whp compared to the stock graph and over 20rwtq. These headers will make a huge difference on your F355.

Dynograph will be available later tonight with the video.

23. FerrariCF

FerrariCF Karting

Apr 14, 2004

The ECU's are different, the exhaust is different. As for the Internals, I believe they are the same. And besides it wouldn't be cost effective for Ferrari to produce two totally different engines for two different markets, they just tweak them.

And you are 100% right in saying driving a Euro 360 and a US 360 feels like two different cars. The euro cars always seem to have more "whoa" in the S.O.T.P dyno.

24. cpt

cpt Rookie

Nov 21, 2008
    Chania - Greece
    Hello.

I want to ask you something and i am very sorry if I do not do it in the right thread. I saw that the 6th gear of a manual F355 gives 20.8 mph/ 1000 rpm . So if you reach the top speed of real 183 mph you have to be in 8798 rpm . I want to ask if the rpm limit is so high. I thought that the factory rpm limit is 8500 rpm!!!