Whats your comfort level regarding speed | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Whats your comfort level regarding speed

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by PeterS, Jun 24, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Uberpower

Uberpower Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 6, 2004
    Well, like anything... it depends. Here is my comfort level in each car I've owned:

1. 1986 and 1996 Jeep Cherokees- 45MPH (60 on the hwy was labored)

2. 1994 Ford Probe GT- 85MPH felt pretty good until my alloy wheel split in two.

3. 1995 SAAB 900SE Convt- 90MPH before wind noise was unbearable top up or down

4. 1967 Mercedes Benz 250S- 60MPH SOLID on the HWY (it just took forever to get there, 0-60 in about a minute. not good for merging)

5. 1995 Dodge Neon- 60MPH MAX MAX Bought this for my ex. Total piece.

6. 1995 Jaguar XJR- 135MPH totally solid. Best car I've ever owned. Loved it.

7. 1997 Porsche Boxster- Got this up to 130, felt shakey after 120 though.

8. 1999 SAAB 9-5- Ticketed in Louisiana going 105. Had cruise control set.

9. 1984 Ferrari 308 GTSi QV- Surprisingly labored in triple digits. No more than 100MPH sustained for any mentionable period of time >30sec. Sounded great though.

10. 2003 SAAB 9-3- with GM build quality tantimount to a Malibu, I am afraid to take this POS over 90MPH. Second worst car I've ever owned next to the freakin' NEON. Total crap, stay away from all SAABs after 99.

Don't really like driving my dad's C5 fast, doesn't feel "all there". My mom has an Audi TT Quattro that feels great at 100mph.

Worst cars I've ever driven at ANY speed:

Isuzu Trooper
    Land Rover Discovery II
    Toyota Landcruiser
    Lincoln TownHouse
    Nissan Xterra

2. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir

Yes they are stupid. You have to remember that in Texas, the fast lane is the far right lane.

3. F40

F40 F1 Rookie

Apr 16, 2003
    AZ
    Comfort level... Lifted 93 Jeep Cherokee... 85mph pegged, not that scary!

98 Honda Accord... Hit the limiter at 118, not that scary either!

45 zones= 55-60 zones.
    65 zones=80-90 zones.

4. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    In my Silverado anywhere between 75-95 (my max with governor) depending on traffic. I usually keep up with the flow of traffic. Drove my mom's old blazer 110, that was very scary and never did it again.

Waverunner, I rode one that topped out at 90, i took it to 70mph on very rough waters before i let off, before that i flew off it doing 65.

My old Yamaha Blaster topped out at 65, rode that fairly often. Pretty much anything I'll ride I'll keep going faster and faster the more comfortable i get. Which is why i don't want a crotch rocket.

5. Mario Gonzalez

Mario Gonzalez Formula 3

Apr 13, 2004
    Out of my mind
    '68 camero, 11.67 @ 126 mph 1/4 mile.

does the drag strip count?

6. Stackhouse

Stackhouse F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 14, 2004
    IN YOUR TRUNK
    Full Name:
    CT.. AKA Pimp Daddy
    NO FASTER THAN I CAN SEE!!!

7. Alex_V

Alex_V F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 8, 2004
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Alex
    i usually 10 over the spped limit, thats about it, no 110 in a 65 for me.....nor my car :p

8. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Interesting question.

I used to be a "no limits barred" type of guy - running in the 130 - 140's without fear. Then one day, as I was minding my own business on an Interstate, I got hit from the back and spun out, crossing four lanes of traffic on a busy highways, and slamming into a ditch. The incident put the fear of God into me. You never really assess the potential ramifications of high speed driving until you see your life flash in front of you. And while I walked away unscathed (even the car wasn't that badly damaged), I frequently think back to "what could have been."

In a way, as nasty as it was, I'm thankful that the accident happened. I'll admit my love for cars still makes me drive above the speed limit from time to time. But I'm a much more aware driver - aware of my surroundings, aware of the weapon I have under my hands, and aware of the potential for what could happen should - at triple digit speeds - a tire blow, or an errant driver on their cell phone sway into my path, or...

My comfort level regarding speed has moderated in a big way as a result. Part of it is also due to age. But there is no question in my mind that the accident left an indelible impression on me. And I am much better off, as a result.

9. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    A.S.A.P. or A.F.A.P.

As Speedely As Possible

or

As Fast As Possible

Turns, off ramps and on ramps mostly. Speeding in a straight line is too easy to catch by the pole Geese

10. CTM

CTM Karting

Aug 5, 2004
    New York, Catskills
    Full Name:
    Craig
    Hey Vik scary stuff. Yeah, it all happens fast when in the triple digits. I assume this accident was after you got nailed in NJ for doing mach 1 or was it actually mach 2

11. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    When i was a kid, i was a back seat passenger in a car that wrecked... i kept encouraging the driver, "Faster, faster...! Go faster...!" And she did. And somewhere between 85 and 90, she lost it and we pinballed between the dividers until the car finally came to a stop... i never worry about that happening to me, though; she was different... i'm not drunk and coked up when i'm behind the wheel... :)

12. Poweredbyme91

Poweredbyme91 Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2004
    Now in San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Hector Silva
    Assuming traffic and weather conditions are decent, Im comfortable around 80mph. I can't really go above that speed anyway in Houston because theres potholes and cracks everywhere on the Freeway. And my Suspension setup don't make it any better either.

13. rcallahan

rcallahan F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 15, 2002
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Bob Callahan
    Judging by the majority of the posts, you guys do not ever want to ride with me :)

14. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    That's okay - it just increases the odds that i can be your passenger... :)

15. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    comfort level? typically 85-95 is comfy cruising speed.

is that... bad?

wait, crap, my insurance guy is on this forum.

<delete delete delete>

16. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    I'm actually suprised by the conservative numbers posted here- not a criticism, in fact, it's somewhat refreshing to see statements other than- "yeah, i usually do 140 from my house to the 7/11 and back."
    At the same time, these cars (at least the current ones, and the older ones too, if fully fettled) were designed for, and capable of much, much higher speeds. Granted, we can't drive full throttle on public roads without risking others, as well as our right to drive, but are we victims of fashion? Yeah, i know a little ferrari will handle better on a twisty mountain road than a big ol' BMW sedan, or MB (which also offers oodles more power and torque than most of their drivers will ever use), but so will a Lotus Elise.
    So, why have a car that can do these speeds if we never really see them? Flame suit on...

17. Attitude928

Attitude928 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    NYC
  18. venusone

venusone F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    One morning my mom called me to say my grandmother had just had a massive heart attack & was on life support in a hospital in Statesboro. My 7 was in the shop so I went to Budget Rentals & rented a Thunderbird they said had a rev limiter. NOT. I drove from Savannah to Statesboro at 120 or more on I-16. I passed folks just because I could. The big ass Ford was smooth at 140 & I got there in time to hold my grandmother’s hand as she passed.

19. branko

branko F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 17, 2003
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Full Name:
    Branko Medenica
    I actually go faster in my truck (80-85). Nobody notices a Toyota truck. Everybody notices a red Ferrari.

20. rcallahan

rcallahan F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 15, 2002
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Bob Callahan
    Any time Carbon, and I promise not to be coked up or drunk!

21. XR4Tim

XR4Tim Formula 3

Jun 1, 2005
    Medina, OH
    Totally depends on what I'm driving. My Saab felt stable at 130 going straight, and 100 in mild turns. My Fiat scared me above 65 on the highway. My Typhoon gets squirly above 120, and can't corner well above 40.

22. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    If there was no traffic or police i would feel 95% comfortable at 130mph all day long in the audi i used to own. That thing was solid. Those germans really do know how to build cars. The acura I now own, although more poweful does not feel nearly as stable at that speed, so i have yet to take it up to its top speed (or so acura claims) of 143. I do feel completely comfortable at 100mph in that car, however i never cruise that fast because it doenst save anything more than a few minutes off my short drives, burns a hell of a lot more gas than 65mph, and is grounds for license suspension. I did once have a 95 minivan to 108 at 5am on a new hampshire highway going slightly downhill and probably with a tailwind. That wasnt as bad as you woud think.

23. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    LOL, you rock, Bob...!

24. Viper 10

Viper 10 Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Brad Chang
    On the street I am comfortable within 5 mph of the speed limit. The consequences nowadays is too harsh and my blue & white Snake almost glows in the dark when it comes to law enforcement officers. It's a much better story back at the precinct busting ANY Viper or exotic, than talking about a econo box that was going 20 mph over the limit.

On track, I am comfortable up through 120's and 130's without blinking. There are a few places in SoCal that you can get over 150 on the straights, but I am averse to the traffic on the tracks more than I am with the speed. Give me an empty track and I can raise the comfort zone on the speed.

Vipers never give a driver a feeling of over confidence. They can bite you at any time on the track and once they do, it takes some skill to straighten them out. Traction control would definitely help instill some level of security when you have a mental lapse...

Brad

25. mrrou

mrrou Karting

Oct 31, 2003
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    99 Honda Accord: Solid at 110, didnt want to push it further
    00 Acura TL: Got it to 105 FAST, slowed down since I was afraid on how much more the car could do.