Atlanta Lurker Ready to Learn | FerrariChat

Atlanta Lurker Ready to Learn

Discussion in 'South Central - USA (TN, MS, AL, GA)' started by andy308, Jun 27, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. andy308

andy308 Formula 3

Jan 16, 2005
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Hello everyone.

I have been lurking and learning for several months now. I wanted to thank everyone for allowing me to absorb all the great information from this site. I am looking for a 308 GTS (recently sold a 1963 Thunderbird Convertible) and will hopefully have all my funds in order in a few short months. I would love to learn more about the 308's in person and understand even more about the car I hope to own very soon.

Thanks again for all the information and I hope to be joining you soon on a run into the mountains.

2. Ski Guy 348

Ski Guy 348 Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2004
    Greenville, SC
    Full Name:
    Jay M.
    Best of luck on your quest for a 308. My first Ferrari was a 308 and I LOVED it. Good Luck!!

3. JLocke

JLocke Karting

May 26, 2005
    Montgomery, Alabama
    While I've not been here long enough to really be able to extend a welcome (but, welcome anyway!) on behalf of the group, as a fellow new guy I can attest that you will learn a lot here! Enjoy!

While there are numerous guys here who know tons about the 308's, be sure to search for posts by Dr. Tommy Cosgrove and Branko Medenica (branko) of Birmingham, Alabama. They both own 308's and know them very, very well.

Take care,

- Jim
    - Montgomery

4. WaltP

WaltP Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Cape Canaveral/Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Walt P
    Welcome.
    What part of town do you live in, I mean just generally, N,S,E or W?

5. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Come to one of the local car shows and you will probably find one of our local 308 owners. There's a show next Monday at the Mall of Georgia and one on July 9th at Flashback Motorworks in Cumming. Check the other threads on this forum for details.

6. andy308

andy308 Formula 3

Jan 16, 2005
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Thanks for the warm welcome. I live in Cumming and will try to attend one of the local events so I can continue to learn as much as possible.

See you soon.

7. branko

branko F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 17, 2003
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Full Name:
    Branko Medenica
    First of all, Jim, thank you for the very kind words but the real 308 wizard is Tommy. Second, Andy308, congratulations on beginning to think about 308 ownership. You will always look back with pride and wonder on the day you buy it. Third, once you do a search on Ferrarichat, you will find all the info you need to find your great 308. Just be sure to get a PPI. And finally, feel free to PM me with additional questions.

8. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Next time I'm up in Atlanta (looks like several shows next month) you're welcome to drive mine.

9. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    If you're ever in Huntsville AL, let me know and we'll get together and play on some country roads!

10. andy308

andy308 Formula 3

Jan 16, 2005
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Branko and Dr. Cosgrove

Thanks again for the valuable advice. I certainly appreciate the offer of driving your 308 and that means a lot to me especially after reading all your posts over the past few months. I hope to see you at an event in Atlanta soon.

I do have one question regarding a PPI. What is the best way to get a PPI done in an area where there is no "authorized" Ferrari dealership within a few hundred miles?

Thanks again

11. UGAFerrariFan

UGAFerrariFan Rookie

Jun 6, 2005
    GA
    I have no idea about the history of the car (or what makes a good 308 in general), but it may be worth mentioning that there was a 1979 308, red, cosmetically gorgeous, at Ferrari of Atlanta as recently as June 18th. If you're in Cumming, you can get there down highway 9 easily. At any rate, I believe they were asking somewhere around $29,000.

12. andy308

andy308 Formula 3

Jan 16, 2005
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Thanks for the tip. I already looked at this car a few weeks ago. It has over 100k miles and the interior is not the color I am looking for. The nice thing is that I have time to be patient and find the "perfect" ferrari for me.

13. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    You don't need an authorized dealer to do a PPI, just a good mechanic that you know and trust. A 308 is a simple car. For example, besides the addition of an oxygen sensor, there is no difference in the fuel injection system of a 1985 308 and a 1977 Rabbit. These cars are really not complicated at all.