Run Communications... | FerrariChat

Run Communications...

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by noahlh, Jan 17, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. noahlh

noahlh Formula 3

Aug 28, 2003
    NYC, NY
    Full Name:
    Noah
    Ok, I want to get us set up with a better way of communicating with each other during our runs. The Talkabouts are OK, but are too distored at high volume and are too unwieldy to use one-handed during high(er) speed driving.

Ideally, I'm imagining a medium-range (1 - 2 miles) full-duplex type of radio, so we're not talking over each other. Doesn't necessarily have to be always-on (i.e. you can still push-to-talk). Either headset (safer and more likely) or handheld.

Anyone know of any good products out there? I found a few surfing around on the web, but many are made for very-short-range (300 - 500feet) or require big base station repeaters. There's gotta be something out there that will work for us...

2. 348SStb

348SStb F1 Rookie
    Owner

Better communication--good idea. :)

I tell ya...

I've been on the Autobahns of Germany at cruising speeds of 140 m.ph. and I had no problem using my Motorola walkie-talkie (which can be set at a very loud volume) to communicate with my brother and Dad, who were in a separate car.

I don't think it's so difficult to hold the damned thing and talk. Many people don't like to, including my brother and Dad. They say "I don't want to be holding this thing while driving." That's SO annoying! They forget the days before headsets even existed.

I think the condemnation of holding things while driving is overrated. Most people who hold phones to their ears are idiots already--they don't need to be holding phones to their ears to be uncoordinated morons. But I am well-coordinated enough to drive, talk on the phone, steer with my knees, shift, and eat french fries all at the same time. You just have to be careful and know your limits :D

I say, MAN UP and hold the walkie talkie when communication is needed. Or use a headset. There is a port for a headset on my Motorola, and I'm sure there is on other walkie-talkies.

3. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON

TRY PLANTRONICS OR TELEX WEBSITES..I KNOW THEY OFFER GREAT PRODUCTS OR WWW.MOTOROLA.COM

BRUCE

4. Hubert888

Hubert888 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 14, 2003
    Manhattan & LA
    Full Name:
    Hubert
    walkie talkies used by people in convertibles = mumble jumble static talk

they should only be used in coupes

5. Acura Nsx Pilot

Acura Nsx Pilot Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    NyC
    Full Name:
    Bailey
    #5 Acura Nsx Pilot, Jan 17, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Another group that I drive with frequently use a club frequency or business band radio. You dont need a license to purchase these and they are used alot on construction sites for communications.The one I use has a five miles range and the radio is 1 channel - 2 watts of power. This radio has a hands free mode aka VOX mode/ voice activated transmission. You can select up to 56 different ferquencies as well as 121 privacy modes. I highly recommend this radio because in case your nimh batteries die it takes standard AA batteries. The UHF model has more channels then the VHF this is what I use

Motorola CP100

http://www.delmmar.com/motorola.htm
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. Greg G

Greg G F1 Rookie

good luck Noah - we cant even persuade Clyde to get a cell phone yet.

7. THonda

THonda Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    TH
    who needs a walkie talkie/radio, they are for old farts like the nsx club... i say if you can't keep up don't bother coming out. :D

8. Acura Nsx Pilot

Nov 10, 2003
    NyC
    Full Name:
    Bailey
    Its especially useless to have when you cant make it out to a run with the EC crew

9. W00dEar

W00dEar F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 24, 2004
    LI, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    fwerff.
    dont see the point of that, you should be stick in the group. if ur lost, use ur cell phone, like keith also does :D

10. W00dEar

W00dEar F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 24, 2004
    LI, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    my man goes on the REAL ec run, not the runs with hairdresser cars :D

11. pchop

pchop F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2002
    Usually NY often elsewhere.
    Full Name:
    John
    Unfortunately these "two way" radios are often banned from construction sites or near construction sites that involves the use of demolition explosives.

12. THonda

THonda Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    TH

The quota is one nsx per EC run, we got to take turns :)

13. Black355

Black355 F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Emil
    Hey, T! Don't you need a new avatar?

14. F5506M

F5506M Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Noah i think it is a great idea would help out alot in keeping the group together during a run. Also making others aware of any cops one of use cross.

15. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Glad you put this up Noah. Definitely worthwhile to have. Not so much because of balancing between driving and talking (although a push-to-talk headset enabled unit would be tight), but more so b/c the range and reception of the Motorola's suck.

16. Acura Nsx Pilot

Nov 10, 2003
    NyC
    Full Name:
    Bailey

Yes ...... but usually they post signs to turn off your radios when you are approaching the blasting zones

17. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    Ok, I finally got a cell. Today.
    I went with Verizon for the best coverage & connections.
    I decided I won't do text messaging
    I want a camera phone for those special PChop moments
    I went with a motorola 710 for the best sound.

I've learned most cells take lousy pics though the 710 does color
    The 710 has crippled blue-tooth but at least supports hands-free head sets

now I have to pick up some of the accessories.

I'll share the number shortly. Whole different areacode than what my home is :(

New number eight-six-two three-seven-seven 3663

18. W00dEar

W00dEar F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 24, 2004
    LI, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    damn clyde u gotz to stop bringing back thread from dead homie.
    i b reading the shiet thinking its new material then see my own post and b like wtf when was this, then i saw it b from january. wasting time zen.
    start a new thread. :D

19. RANTANESIAN

RANTANESIAN Formula Junior

Jun 18, 2004
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Rene Antanesian
    I can order the motorola walkie talkies that we use on construction sites and those get about 2-4 miles and cost about anywhere from $100- $150.

20. Acura Nsx Pilot

Nov 10, 2003
    NyC
    Full Name:
    Bailey
    You can typically get the motorola XTN 2 watt models on ebay for $100 to $200. They claim 5 mile range under the right conditions so for highway street use there great. I have a set of these radios which I use with my other car clubs and they work great.

21. Greg G

Greg G F1 Rookie

congrats Clyde.... welcome to the 21st century! :D

We'll break it in on Sat's run!

22. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    WHAT!!

Miracles DO happen!! - :D

23. JPF

JPF Formula Junior

Sep 11, 2003
    NY
    Full Name:
    Joshua
    I just bought a set of Motorola T5500 talkabouts. 5 mile range (claimed), 22 channels, $45.

Used 'em this weekend on a roadtrip up to VT with three cars. Chatted the whole way (3.5 hours), almost no battery loss.

Worth every penny.

24. Black355

Black355 F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Emil
    Just like the black RAZOR's right?

25. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Glad you are having a good experience with them. I bought the prior generation Talkabouts, and they were awful.