We need a race. F430 VS 360CS. | FerrariChat

We need a race. F430 VS 360CS.

Discussion in '360/430' started by alanhenson, Jul 7, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. alanhenson

alanhenson Formula 3

Dec 2, 2003
    It obviously bothers alot of us including me that the F430 is maybe a tad overrated from the factory. While I comletely understand and agree that the whole of a car including acceleration, braking, cornering ability and overall driving dynamics are more important than just straight line acceleration it still miffs me that Ferrari has a big bark that it can't back up when stacked against the competetion in the acceleration department. Bottom line is they shouldn't lie and we all know they do.
    What I am interested in seeing is if the F430 is really any faster than the 360CS which is it looking like it is not. But on the other hand many of our members that have owned both are saying it is.
    What I propose is to get the two together and test them out. We need an F430 driver that won't mind if he gets beaten or is just even with a Stradale. I would do it if I owned one. Say maybe a sprint from 10-100mph and a couple other sprints. They both will likely be F1. So just put them in auto mode on the fastest shift setting's and hammer the throttle and then switch drivers and repeat. This can remove alot of driver errror. Anyone game for this or even think this is a decent idea?
    I for one am thinking of buying a CS but I really like the F430 especially if it's alot faster. If it's not, I prefer the rawness of the CS.

2. Philip in AL

Philip in AL Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2004
    Birmingham, AL
    I really don't see the need for excitement here. Correct me if I'm wrong but, it's my understanding after reading just about every F430 magazine test printed, that only one maybe two tests showed these high times and about 10 other test showed anywhere from 3.5 sec to 4.0 sec to 60Mph (and hence lower numbers in the more important areas such as 0-100Mph). Even if that turns out to be true, for a couple of grand, I can bump that Hp by about 25 or 30.

By the way, I happen to have kept every single article, I just don't want to have to search through them.

3. Bill S

Bill S Formula 3

Oct 2, 2004
    I have a CS in Southern Cal. If anyone wishes to test their 430 against it, send me a PM. I think the US 430 is about the same as the US CS.

4. alanhenson

alanhenson Formula 3

Dec 2, 2003
    0-60 is a useless outdated measure. I mean more like 0-100 or the QT. And I would really like to know how you can bump horsepower on any Ferrari for a couple grand.

5. scud

scud F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2004
    lap times are the only true indicator as you need power , brakes , suspension/handling , driver skill ( basically the total package ) . these cars were designed with track focus in mind. going hard in a straight line isn't what ferrari is about . they are F1 orientated and want to push that knowledge onto road cars .I will compare cars in october. stay tuned

rock on

6. alanhenson

alanhenson Formula 3

Dec 2, 2003
    Yeah that's pretty much what I stated in the original post. We all or most of us knowwhat Ferrari is really about but it still irks us that Ferrari will fudge the numbers. We will be interested to see the comparo.

7. Tony91505

Tony91505 Formula Junior

Apr 13, 2005
    So cal
    Full Name:
    Tony
    If you find anyone who would race your CS in socal I would love to tape it and put it on line. let me know

8. scud

scud F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2004
    sorry i like to speed read through the long posts but i'm not very good at it

9. ferrame

ferrame Formula 3

Mar 2, 2005
    Orange, Calif
    I was interesting in buying a CS, but at the sametime I have a deposit on a f430 that supposed to be delivered in the next 8 to 12 mos. Then I asked a local f-mechanic and he told that a f430 is a much better car than a 360. F430 has much more HP and more T. So I'm just waiting for my f430.

10. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Im thinking that lap times would be the best measure. Use the same driver, same tires on both cars, same time of day & weather ect..

In fact, it might even be better to do laps at 2 different tracks too. IMO a CS should easily out lap a 430 at Lime Rock while a 430 would win at Road America

11. alanhenson

alanhenson Formula 3

Dec 2, 2003
    Well, that doesn't really settle what most people are upset about. It's the difference from what we thought the straight line acceleration should be and what it is turning out to be. I think we all agree that it will turn in stellar lap times that will likely equal or beat the CS.

12. TestaRoasta

TestaRoasta Formula Junior

May 30, 2005
    Full Name:
    Logan
    Oh please, you're trusting a mechanic, even an f-mechanic, on his opinion? Big deal if the F430 has more flywheel torque, the 360 has shorter gears. Even if thats not enough, the 430 is way fatter than the CS. Plus, it had the revised aero from the beggining. They were able to give it more downforce, but keep the cD @ 0.35, but that cD comes with the 430's greater frontal area, so the drag has increased significantly over the 360's. Plus on a road course, the Challenge part of the name would really stand out.

13. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Its not a race against a stradale that we need , its giving a good kicking to Ferrari . Let them know that enough is enough .

Overweighted car , underpowered ..I love Ferrari but i hate being a fool.

14. Bill Oxley

Bill Oxley Karting

Feb 23, 2005
    Denver, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bill Oxley
    alanhenson, do you own a Ferrari? just curious.

tnx, Bill

15. alanhenson

alanhenson Formula 3

Dec 2, 2003
    I just sold my 355 Spider. I am looking into a CS maybe Christmas.

16. TestaRoasta

May 30, 2005
    Full Name:
    Logan
    Well get me one too, silver with the stripe. Yellow seats and red calipers.

17. alanhenson

alanhenson Formula 3

Dec 2, 2003
    I think I am leaning towards black w/no stripe, sheilds, red seats, red calipers.

18. watt

watt Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Northern Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Giuseppe T Hemingway
  19. TestaRoasta

May 30, 2005
    Full Name:
    Logan
    Was the 360 CS even out on the track after the F430 pitted?

20. Bill S

Bill S Formula 3

Oct 2, 2004
    Seems like there's confusion between the US and Euro 430 and CS. Need to be careful to compare apples with apples. Most Magazine tests to date used the Euro 430. I suppose Ferrari quoted specs for that, then reluctantly adds a few hundred pounds and other pollution devices for the US, without publishing the reduced specs that result.

In other words, they build the car for the Euro market and just do the easiest thing to sell them in the US.

21. Jas

Jas Formula 3

Mar 2, 2005
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Jas
    If you're racing then against each other on a track, my money's on the 360CS. It's lower weight will give it the edge in cornering, handling and braking.

Even losing a *little* in acceleration against the 430, it will have the advantage of carrying more speed into bends, and more crucially out of them.

On the road, it's a tough call and the 430 may be better.

Jas

22. Bill S

Bill S Formula 3

Oct 2, 2004
    My salesperson told me a guy took delivery of a 430 but decided to sell it and keep his CS. He loves the CS for its weekend fun and didn't want a fine GT (430) for that. Everyone has different needs:

430 = almost ordinary; fun for long comfortably-sporty trips
    CS = not ordinary; raw, loud, sensory overload!

23. TestaRoasta

May 30, 2005
    Full Name:
    Logan
    On the track, the F430 really does fall behind. Obviously the 360 CS is lighter, but many people recall that the F430 revs the same yet has more power. True, but think about it, 3.6 vs. 4.3, the CS's engine will be able to reach high rpm and maximum power much sooner than the F430 with its lower reciprocating mass. This, plus shorter gears, a much lighter curb weight, and less drag means that the F430 may not be as dominant in the straights as everyone thinks. Just watch the posted video, the 360 CS could pull away whenever it wanted. It was also superior through the corners and coming out of them, the 360 CS got on the throttle MUCH sooner than did the F430.

24. F114B

F114B Karting

May 25, 2005
    West Coast
    I owned the CS and now I have my 430. I don't really care which one is better. I love them both for the different reasons. Why are we comparing these two? When and If Ferrari builds the 430CS then we should compare the two CSs.

25. TestaRoasta

May 30, 2005
    Full Name:
    Logan
    I think the main reason we're comparing them is to find out if Ferrari can continue to build the authentic cars that it is known for, rather than change them slightly over the years to the point that they no longer resemble the authentic Ferraris of the past. I think that the 360 CS is a perfect example of a Ferrari, but I'm a little worried that maybe the F430 is a step in the wrong direction. Ferrari bumped the displacement higher in one step than they ever have in the past for a new V8 model. Why? To make it easier for anyone to drive, the 360 had little torque, and had to be revved high to move anywhere, it was a driver's car just like Enzo intended for all of his cars. The F430 now can be driven by the lame celebrity drivers who purchase them, which to me is cause for concern in terms of the future of Ferrari's design. The term "A Ferrari owner is not nessisarily a Ferrari driver" may have died with the introduction of the F430.