Taiwanese Media Wreck E60 M5 During Testing - Pics | FerrariChat

Taiwanese Media Wreck E60 M5 During Testing - Pics

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by BklynBenz, Jul 19, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BklynBenz

BklynBenz Rookie
    BANNED

May 3, 2005
    This M5 arrived in Taiwan last week and the accident happened just a few days after it passed Taiwanese car inspection. When the accident happened, the car only had temporary testing license plates and had no insurance on the car (Taiwanese car insurance is on car, rather than driver like North America). The accident happened during a magazine road test against an E55 AMG.

The driver was trying to take a corner with very uneven road surface, and lost the backend, hit the divider, flipped the car 3 and a half rotations, and stopped by a tree. 3 passengers were in the car, 2 of which walked away without a single scratch, 1 has a minor scratch on his arm.

Car was totaled, as it's structure is damaged beyond repair, but no one was seriously hurt. M5 is defintley a very safe car.

The magazine that's responsible for this on the other hand, will have to pay for the car, which is worth a bit more than 200k USD. since their car didn't have insurance yet at the time of the accident.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Supercarlover

Supercarlover Formula 3

Sep 30, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Joshua B.
    Incredible! Glad they're safe. Bummer about that car, tho. :(

3. pistole

pistole Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2005
    Malaysia
    why don't they learn to @#$%-ing drive first before 'testing' a performance
    car on public roads ?

I feel sorry , sorry for the car , that is. The driver can go _ himself.

4. gougoul

gougoul Formula 3

Nov 25, 2004
    Geneva, Switzerland
    I had a friend that had both a BM and a TVR Chimaera, and he told me the TVR was far more predictable at the limit (bad weather etc) than the BMW...
    Maybe that could explain this sort of things.
    From what i read recently, the BMs', like other car makers rely too much on electronics (TCs, ESPs etc) than on good or sane roadholding.
    This, switching them off turns a car you think you manage into a beast.

5. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Probably because with the TVR you can "feel" where you are, perhaps with a more numb and electronic BMW there is less sense of grip and where the limit is.

6. asianbond

asianbond Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Quite a funny story. Wonder what they told their editor.

7. Z0RR0

Z0RR0 F1 Rookie

Apr 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Julien
    "We just had to prove BMW's safety features are as good as they say they are ..."
    :D

8. Dino Martini

Dino Martini F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2004
    Calgary Alberta
    Full Name:
    Martin
    Man that is really sad..atleast everyone is ok though

9. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    Wow! That new M5's styling is,......certainly,........just like,.....every other 4 door BMW. Snore.......ZZZZZZzzzzzzzz. About as exciting as a turnip with a motor.

10. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    I live in fear of this happening to me.

this is why I don't F()()k around on public roads.

this is also why i am glad the cars i evaluate are coverd by the mufg insurance bond...

11. alanhenson

alanhenson Formula 3

Dec 2, 2003
    You obviously haven't driven the M line of BMWs. I am on my second M3 and it is the most controlled car I have ever driven. It is far easier to drive at the limit than my 355 is. It is hard to get an M3 out of line even with the traction control off. You really have to be pushing the limit to get BMWs out of shape.

12. Ike

Ike F1 Rookie

Nov 4, 2003
    Seeing the words Taiwanese and Car together in the same sentence is a bit funny to me.

13. BlueBiturbo

BlueBiturbo F1 Rookie

May 19, 2004
    Jakarta
    Full Name:
    TS
    At least the engine can be sold to the local tuners :p

14. taber

taber Formula 3

Mar 4, 2005
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Norman
    Looking at the first few pictures.. then picture #6 .. WOW, at least no one was seriously injured. And it proves these new 5 series are still tanks.

15. F1guru

F1guru Karting

Mar 7, 2005
    Orange County, Ca
    Full Name:
    Jason
    How do you flip 3 and 1/2 rotations and come to rest rubber side down (pics)?

16. b-mak

b-mak F1 Veteran

OK, first of all, this was no "accident", it was a crash. As usual, it's more "automotive journalist" monkeys at their best--way over their head. Manufacturers never seem to learn, but, hey, it's their perogative. The driver should be flogged.

Hmm. Every time I drive an M3, I get it "out of shape". Oversteer is my friend. It is one of the most controllable cars at the limit, but systems must be turned off, of course.

The problem with most drivers is that as soon as they get a car "out of shape" they have no clue what to do. High limits are one thing, but the other side of the those limits is what kills novices. See Taiwanese driver noted above.

17. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Wow I am glad no one was hurt! I wonder what they said to BMW?

18. 0814

0814 Rookie

Jan 23, 2005
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Josh Kincaid
    Probably, "rorry"

bad, sorry.....