Auto cross, racing helmets and gear. | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Auto cross, racing helmets and gear.

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by Lt1corvette, Jul 21, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mpolans

mpolans Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2004
    That reflexive response might make sense if we were talking about any sort of roadracing or perhaps anything were there was a chance of hitting a hard object at high double digit speeeds, but Solo II???

Uh-huh...yeah, right...so what brand nomex suit/boots/gloves, HANS device, back protector, and neck brace do you use to autocross?

2. Lt1corvette

Lt1corvette Guest

Jun 19, 2005
    San Clemente, CA
    Full Name:
    Joseph Dowd
    Thanks for all the advice guys. Sorry for the delay, left town an hour after posting and just got back. I can now go into a store and have an idea what I am talking about when I try them on. I think I am going to pick one out in the store, then look into ordering the model online (if cheaper, saved money = nicer helmet for me.)
    I really appreciate the help.
    Joe

3. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    I don't autocross, but I have a GForce helmet (which fits very well) and all of my nomex is Sparco for track days.

I've not yet bought a HANS device, but I am considering it.

4. b-mak

b-mak F1 Veteran

Speaking of reflexive responses, don't go jumping all over someone adding value to the discussion just because you didn't read the first post.

The poster made it clear that he was going to do track days, but used the term 'autocross' as somewhat of a misnomer.

You seem overly concerned with that cones-in-a-parking-lot BS. When you grow up, perhaps you can drive on a real race track like the big boys.

5. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2003
    Well said! Hear hear!

6. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2001
    La mamma dei fessi
    Full Name:
    e sempre incinta
    How much is your head and body worth? :) I bought a 3 layer Nomex suit by Race Quip, it fits nice and wasn't that expensive. My helmet is a Bieffe Preditor SA 2000 and I also have the Bieffe Aero for open wheel both are Nomex lined. Shoes are Sparco Nomex lined and so are my gloves. I also have a Sparco Nomex T shirt for underneath the suit. I know it sounds like over kill. The reason I went with all nomex even though I'm running in a group that doesn't require it is because of Jen's and Amar's fatal accident. Anything you can do to give yourself a few seconds in a fire could save your life. Nobody likes to think about crashing but the reality is that it happens. I know you are safer on a track then on a highway but at least we can take precautions. JMO.

7. mpolans

mpolans Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2004
    Oops, missed the track days part in first post. Mea culpa.

8. fluque

fluque Formula 3

Jul 30, 2004
    Above 2240m
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    well said.... :)

9. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    I've been a little confused about some of the comments too....just not understanding how playings cars at a track day is even in the same league as racing at an autocross....the last time I checked you can't win a track day, so that must mean it's only for losers?

Seriously though, driving a street car on a race track at high speed is EXTREMELY dangerous. Buy the best helmet you can find and give a lot of thought either race prepping the car or getting a separate car that is race prepped. This is why I autocross, I simply won't drive a street car on a race track.

10. mpolans

mpolans Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2004
    Sure...and when you grow a pair of balls, perhaps you can go the track and race on two wheels.

11. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Gentlemen,

can we please take it down a notch and use some cleaner language?

I hate to edit somebody's post and I hate it even more to send somebody to the sin bin for a while. So let's take a deep breath.
    :)